"Logan" is an alternate universe, not the real ending of the Fox franchise.

Mutant 77

Supreme Keeper of the X-Men Movie Continuity
Reaction score
My points.

1- At the end of "Dark Phoenix", mutants are no more seen in a "friendly" way. I doubt that humans would issue comic books about them in the 2000s/2010s or so. Also, Old Man Logan seems to imply that "fantastic/fantasy adventures" (like events depicted in 'Apocalypse', 'Dark Phoenix' and so on) did not occur at all.
2- Old Man Logan killed the scientists in his version of the WX Program. Our Logan never did that in "Apocalypse", indeed he slaughtered the soldiers.
3- There was no Transigen-Alkali in "Apocalypse". The WX facility was owned by the Essex Corporation.
4- There was no adamantium bullet in "Apocalypse". In the original timeline, the adamantium bullet had been already used anyway, and it wasn't available anymore.
5- There are mutant children at the school in the ending of DOFP (2023). This means that mutant births didn't stop in 2004, I mean in the mainstream X-Men universe. You can also spot Nate Grey among the children.
6- In DOFP, Phoenix is alive. In the deleted scene of "Logan", Old Man Logan talks about killing Jean and his remorse. That said, I doubt that Phoenix wouldn't be able to stop Xavier from killing the X-Men.
7- They never talk about the time-travelling issue. "Logan" follows the original timeline (a version of it).
8- Caliban is totally different. He's another guy.
9- Logan is supposed to have been "masked and costumed" in his X-Man days, wearing the comic book costume.
10- Charles is 90 years old in "Logan" (2029). In the mainstream X-Men universe, he is born in 1932.

"Logan" invalidates all X-Men movies. Mutants become extinct. Xavier's dream fails. It's the worst ending ever.
It's an alternate, "What If" universe.
Even MARVEL confirmed that.

MARVEL officially listed the "Logan" universe as Earth-17315.

The ending of the X-Men saga is DOFP (2023).

Logan has long been looked on by many as an alternate timeline/reality/whatever.

I prefer to view Logan as the ending to the OT saga post-DOFP. (XMA and Dark Phoenix don't exist in my headcanon :p ) - it gives the movie some serious emotional weight for me. It's honestly where the franchise should've ended.

The Fox franchise began with Wolverine and ended with Wolverine.

I thought it was confirmed or hinted that it is an alternate universe future by James Mangold or one of the writers in a couple of interviews before the film came out. I vaguely remember something like that

This is the Marvel Studios films. not the Fox board

I thought it was confirmed or hinted that it is an alternate universe future by James Mangold or one of the writers in a couple of interviews before the film came out. I vaguely remember something like that

No, Mangold said the opposite, that it takes place after the new future of Days of Future Past. Hugh Jackman suggested it was an alternate universe. Now Marvel may consider it canonically separate, but to the extent that I worry about it at all, I just interpret it as a different timeline.

I view Logan as a stand alone story myself. It doesn't feel to me like a sequel to DoFP. So I consider that the end of the original FOX films. Dark Phoenix is the end of the prequel series. Logan is like an Elseworlds story more akin to something like Marvel's The End line.

Canon hardly seems to matter to the Foxverse. The original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and the solo Wolverine films all contradict each other. Each film should really be taken on its own.

Interesting. One could view it as that way if you want a happy ending to the franchise but for me, I prefer the tragic yet hopeful ending of Logan. Logan going out as the last of the original X-Men feels like a poetic send off, imo. Logan lived for so long with so much pain but now his pain ends with a peaceful acceptance of death, knowing he fought the good fight; saving a new generation of Mutants to carry out his and the X-Men’s legacy. He saved not only those kid mutants from dying, but also Charles’s dream. That’s a beautiful way to end the franchise.

Though if your someone who believes a lot of X-Men movies were to Wolverine centric you likely aren’t going to be a fan of Logan(at least it’s very premise) since once again the clawed Mutant is hogging the spotlight over his fellow mutants only this time his fellow X-Men(most of them) are dead and gone.

Last edited:
As great as Logan is, I'd hate for it to actually take place 6 years after the future ending of DoFP, as it really completely undermines the events of that movie.

Like, what was the point of preventing the Sentinels' from being created and showing humanity a better path if mutants were just going to be eradicated through chemicals anyway?

We're here to have fun.
We're here because we love superheroes.
Let's have fun.
Speculation is part of the fun.

Fun... Eh...

Fan is short for fanatic.

Too often we genre fans prove how true that is.

Anybody is overlooking the importance of "The New Mutants" in the X-Men continuity.
We got a 34 years old Roberto da Costa/Sunspot (Adan Canto) in year 2023 (DOFP). This means that Sunspot will be 18 years old in the mid-2000s or late-2000s. Besides, we also know that Illyana/Magik is the little sister of Colossus, and we already got an adult Piotr/Colossus in 1999/2000.
So "The New Mutants" is placed in the 2000s, I would say 2008 or so.
If there are NO reference to the mutant race going gradually "extinct" or the lack of mutant births since 2004, we can safely assume that "Logan" is an alternate continuity. Hopefully.
"The New Mutants" could be the final milestone in the continuity and the key to understand the fate of the revised timeline better.

Anybody is overlooking the importance of "The New Mutants" in the X-Men continuity.
We got a 34 years old Roberto da Costa/Sunspot (Adan Canto) in year 2023 (DOFP). This means that Sunspot will be 18 years old in the mid-2000s or late-2000s. Besides, we also know that Illyana/Magik is the little sister of Colossus, and we already got an adult Piotr/Colossus in 1999/2000.
If there are NO reference to the mutant race going gradually "extinct" or the lack of mutant births since 2004, we can safely assume that "Logan" is an alternate continuity. Hopefully.
"The New Mutants" could be the final milestone in the continuity and the key to understand the fate of the revised timeline better.
Do we know what The New Mutants' position is in relation to either the original trilogy, or the prequel trilogy?

Oh lord. Can Supperhero just post all his "theories/timeline/baseless continuties" in one thread? I've already asked him plenty of timesbut he just ignores it and his threads are allthe same. I'm pretty surehe at least created 20 threads in the X-Men sub forums about the same topic and that was eXhausting as it used to happen almost every week. And now he's back, creating another thread about the same thing.

Deadpool is the same age in two different movies thirty years apart. And one version of him was a mutant and the other wasn't. Angel had the same issue, though both versions of him were mutants. Siryn was too young to be Banshee's daughter. Havok was older than Cyclops by like 15 years at least. These details mean absolutely nothing in the Fox series and I wouldn't be even slightly shocked to find out that the New Mutants is actually a sequel to Logan and Ilyana's and Roberto's age discrepencies will simply never be mentioned or explained.

Deadpool is the same age in two different movies thirty years apart. And one version of him was a mutant and the other wasn't. Angel had the same issue, though both versions of him were mutants. Siryn was too young to be Banshee's daughter. Havok was older than Cyclops by like 15 years at least.

1- The Deadpool movies are an alternate universe. In the mainstream X-Men movie universe, Wade Wilson is the one in "Origins" (1983), later retconned by the time travel.

2- The "Angel"/Archangel in "Apocalypse" is not Warren Worthington III. He's a Seraphim (see the comic books).
We know that this subset of mutants exists in the mainstream movie universe because we already got an X-Ray image of one Seraphim's wing in "Origins" (1983).

3- Nothing wrong with Theresa/Syrin being the neuce or a distant relative of Banshee, not her daughter. In Stryker's files (X2), she's listed as Theresa Rourke.

4- Nothing wrong with Havok being older than Cyclops. This is not an error, LOL, just a choice.

Fun... Eh...

Fan is short for fanatic.

Too often we genre fans prove how true that is.

Who cares? This is a message boards for fans. You know... This is a huge forum for fans of superheroes and superhero movies.

Maybe you're in the wrong place. I don't know.

1- The Deadpool movies are an alternate universe. In the mainstream X-Men movie universe, Wade Wilson is the one in "Origins" (1983), later retconned by the time travel.

2- The "Angel"/Archangel in "Apocalypse" is not Warren Worthington III. He's a Seraphim (see the comic books).
We know that this subset of mutants exists in the mainstream movie universe because we already got an X-Ray image of one Seraphim's wing in "Origins" (1983).

3- Nothing wrong with Theresa/Syrin being the neuce or a distant relative of Banshee, not her daughter. In Stryker's files (X2), she's listed as Theresa Rourke.

4- Nothing wrong with Havok being older than Cyclops. This is not an error, LOL, just a choice.

I never said there was anything wrong with any of it. I don't really care. But if you recognize that Havok can easily be older than Cyclops and Siryn doesn't *have* to be Banshee's daughter, then it should be abundantly obvious that Ilyanna doesn't *have* to be Colossus's little sister. And if you're willing to let Apocalypse off the hook because a comic book established him to really be someone else, then it should be no problem whatsoever accepting that the guy in DoFP wasn't *really* Sunspot, either, just another guy with the same codename (just like that 'Emma' totally wasn't Emma Frost, even though she was obviously intended to be when written, and that 'Jubilee' wasn't really Jubilee, even though she was definitely intended to be when written).

The entire idea that you can predict with certainty exactly when the New Mutants is set purely based on the fact that these two characters 'should' be this age in year x (never mind the fact that even actually stated ages are not maintained with 100% consistency, as you yourself stated) is obviously laughable. The Fox movies never maintained that level of continuity, and your determination to separate off multiple films into alternate realities is all the proof anyone should need of that. Or to put it more in your kind of terms, if all these other movies that blatantly disagree with everything else are really alternate realities, then how exactly do you think you know for sure that the New Mutants won't *also* be another alternate reality?

And if you're willing to let Apocalypse off the hook because a comic book established him to really be someone else, then it should be no problem whatsoever accepting that the guy in DoFP wasn't *really* Sunspot, either, just another guy with the same codename (just like that 'Emma' totally wasn't Emma Frost, even though she was obviously intended to be when written, and that 'Jubilee' wasn't really Jubilee, even though she was definitely intended to be when written).

Yeah, let's watch the movie and see by ourselves. Hopefully, "The New Mutants" will clarify the continuity status of "Logan" and also line up with the mainstream continuity. That's my whole point.

Emma Silverfox is a clone. There are two more clones in ORIGINS (1983): Banshee and Quicksilver. Presumibly, they became members of the second generation of X-Men in the Nineties (original timeline):

Cyclops
Jean Grey (Marvel Girl?)
Beast
Storm
Emma Silverfox
Banshee 2
Quicksilver 2

Last edited:
The entire idea that you can predict with certainty exactly when the New Mutants is set purely based on the fact that these two characters 'should' be this age in year x (never mind the fact that even actually stated ages are not maintained with 100% consistency, as you yourself stated) is obviously laughable.

Well, if the Sunspot in TNM will contradict the Sunspot in DOFP, then you're right.
The Yukio in "Deadpool 2" heavily contradicts the Yukio in "The Wolverine". Just one example among the many instances in which the Deadpool saga proves to be "alternate".
The Caliban in "Logan" contradicts the Caliban in "Apocalypse".

My idea is not laughable. If TNM has no contradictions with the mainstream saga, even if not addressing it and being standalone, it's plausible to think that TNM belongs to the mainstream universe as well.

I prefer to view Logan as the ending to the OT saga post-DOFP. (XMA and Dark Phoenix don't exist in my headcanon :p ) - it gives the movie some serious emotional weight for me. It's honestly where the franchise should've ended.

The Fox franchise began with Wolverine and ended with Wolverine.

I agree with this 100%. In my head-canon it goes:

X1
X2
X3
DOFP
Logan

The other films don't matter.

EDIT: I forgot all about The Wolverine. I consider that part of the above canon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"