Long Live the King! The Stephen King's movies Thread.

Yeah:up:.
I never saw the version with Rutger Hauer. I'm pretty sure it's not as good as the Tobe Hopper one. (minus David Soul.)

I wonder who they'll cast for Pennywise in the new version of It ? (if it ever sees the light of the day that is, which would be cool because they might make it closer to the book.)
I wouldn't mind Jim Carrey, because he can be funny of course, but also dark and creepy as proven in the second half of his career.
Another more left field kind of crazy idea is an actor who's also proven he could be funny, dark and creepy (and recently all three at the same time): Charlie Sheen:woot:.

Last edited:
One King novel I'd like to see a better adaptation of is "Cycle of the Werewolf". It's one of King's lesser known works, it's actually more of a novella. I read it in 5th grade and it scared the absolute hell out of me. Mainly because of the horrifying illustrations in it, and this was from the school library!

ww0003.jpg

If you go on Google, there's a lot worse stuff from the book. Anyway, it was adapted into a cheesy movie in the 80s called "Silver Bullet" starring Corey Haim and Gary Busey. The book kept me awake at night, but the movie put me right to sleep.

Hmm...
One of my favorite King horror adaptations is "Riding the Bullet." Non-horror, "Shawshank Redemption." Even though it has its flaws, I still enjoy the heck out of "Graveyard Shift." The Exterminator/Vietnam Vet was definitely one of Dourif's more interesting roles. Speaking of the "IT" reboot, I am excited about it. The Tommy Lee Wallace one was pretty good, but I am ready for them to amplify the terror, and not worry about network restrictions.

One King novel I'd like to see a better adaptation of is "Cycle of the Werewolf". It's one of King's lesser known works, it's actually more of a novella. I read it in 5th grade and it scared the absolute hell out of me. Mainly because of the horrifying illustrations in it, and this was from the school library!

ww0003.jpg

If you go on Google, there's a lot worse stuff from the book. Anyway, it was adapted into a cheesy movie in the 80s called "Silver Bullet" starring Corey Haim and Gary Busey. The book kept me awake at night, but the movie put me right to sleep.
Lol:woot:. Me too. You're right it definitely deserves a better adaptation.
Cool illustration.

Hmm...
One of my favorite King horror adaptations is "Riding the Bullet." Non-horror, "Shawshank Redemption." Even though it has its flaws, I still enjoy the heck out of "Graveyard Shift." The Exterminator/Vietnam Vet was definitely one of Dourif's more interesting roles. Speaking of the "IT" reboot, I am excited about it. The Tommy Lee Wallace one was pretty good, but I am ready for them to amplify the terror, and not worry about network restrictions.
Agree on both:up:
I also enjoyed parts of Cat's Eye.
I haven't seen "Riding the Bullet" yet.

I love Leslie Nielsen in "Creepshow". Very different than the great Lt Frank Drebin or the doctor in Airplane, he actually plays a very creepy character.
I also really like Hal Hobrook in the segment called "The Crate" and like I said I thought King held his own in "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verill". He was a bit OTT but it fit the style of the story (great surreal lighting), almost like a silent film.
I also loved how the segments were linked together with animation, like an animated comic book.
Unfortunately Creepshow 2 wasn't that good, but I'd be up for a third one.
You could tell King and Romero who grew up loving the great 50's horror comic books, were having fun and also wanted to pay their respect:up:

I love Leslie Nielsen in "Creepshow". Very different than the great Lt Frank Drebin or the doctor in Airplane, he actually plays a very creepy character.
I also really like Hal Hobrook in the segment called "The Crate" and like I said I thought King held his own in "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verill". He was a bit OTT but it fit the style of the story (great surreal lighting), almost like a silent film.
I also loved how the segments were linked together with animation, like an animated comic book.
Unfortunately Creepshow 2 wasn't that good, but I'd be up for a third one.
You could tell King and Romero who grew up loving the great 50's horror comic books, were having fun and also wanted to pay their respect:up:

Creepshow is all kinds of win, and Holbrook was good in that story. "Just tell him to call you Billie!" :woot:

Although I haven't read the book in years, I enjoyed the movie for Needful Things. Sydow is always great.

Last edited:
Creepshow is all kinds of win, and Hobrook was good in that story. "Just tell him to call you Billie!" :woot:

Although I haven't read the book in years, I enjoyed the movie for Needful Things. Sydow is always great.
:woot:
I agree, Needful Things was pretty enjoyable and Max Von Sydow is always great:up:

The end of the cockroach segment from "Creepshow" still grosses me out to this day. I still laugh at "Father's Day", though. I just love how happy the zombie was after he finally got his "cake".

[YT]_y5YtyycXTQ[/YT]

:woot:
I agree, Needful Things was pretty enjoyable and Max Von Sydow is always great:up:

Ed Harris also did a good performance as Pangborn. I don't recall his name, but the man they had for the role of Councilman Keaton was exactly as how I envisioned while reading the novel, before seeing the film.

Creepshow 2 was not as good as its precursor, but "The Raft" sequence was probably the best part. I really enjoyed it.

ww0003.jpg

Yeah, but...how do you get scarier than Gary Busey?

The end of the cockroach segment from "Creepshow" still grosses me out to this day. I still laugh at "Father's Day", though. I just love how happy the zombie was after he finally got his "cake".

[YT]_y5YtyycXTQ[/YT]
I really liked those two segments as well.
And I love the aquatic zombies from the "Something to Tide You Over" segment. (Ted Danson was one of them:woot:)

Ed Harris also did a good performance as Pangborn. I don't recall his name, but the man they had for the role of Councilman Keaton was exactly as how I envisioned while reading the novel, before seeing the film.

Creepshow 2 was not as good as its precursor, but "The Raft" sequence was probably the best part. I really enjoyed it.
I agree and I enjoyed "The Raft" too. Pretty scary.

Yeah, but...how do you get scarier than Gary Busey?
Haha. I don't think it's possible:woot:

Last edited:
Here are some of the King's books that I'd like to see get remade:
Pet Sematary. The Running Man. Apt Pupil. Thinner. It. The Stand. The Tommyknockers. Firestarter.

Yes. :up:
Especially Running Man.
Agreed.
A "Running Man" film shot closer to King's book (or should I say Richard Bachman's:cwink:) would be awesome.
Someone like Jeremy Renner or Sam Rockwell could probably make an interesting Ben Richards imo.

Salem's Lot (1979) is one of my favourite horror movies (the 2004 miniseries is forgettable.) I also like The Dead Zone, Carrie, Christine and Misery.

Here are some of the King's books that I'd like to see get remade:
Pet Sematary. The Running Man Apt Pupil. Thinner. It. The Stand. The Tommyknockers Firestarter.
David Cronenberg should remake both Tommyknockers and Firestarter.

That Tommyknockers miniseries is one of the worst things I've ever sat through.

Salem's Lot (1979) is one of my favourite horror movies (the 2004 miniseries is forgettable.) I also like The Dead Zone, Carrie, Christine and Misery.

David Cronenberg should remake both Tommyknockers and Firestarter.

That Tommyknockers miniseries is one of the worst things I've ever sat through.
:up:

I've still got my fingers crossed for that project to make The Long Walk into a film happens.

Same here. (Cool new avy, Figs.)

Thanks gwyn!

That short story was always one of my favorites. On second thought. Would you consider that a short story or a novella?

I think it's more the novella format but I might be wrong. I'd like to see it on the big screen some day too:up:

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King's books and movies. My undisputed favorites are Salems' Lot, Misery, and The Stand.

"You'll enjoy Mr Barlow. And he'll enjoy you". The vampires of the original Salems' Lot movie are still the scariest vampires ever put on film, IMO. The Marsten House was perfect. Just like I pictured it when reading the book. Only mis-fire I think was David Soul as Ben Mears. It's kind of along the lines of James Caan as Paul Sheldon. I don't think he was emotionally raw enough, and not how I envisioned the character when reading the book.

You are correct, he was a mis-fire. While Rob Lowe has the physical features of Ben Mears in the 2004 version he just seemed to "flashy" looking for a middling writer(maybe it was leather blazer he was wearing that made me think that). Also both versions took Father Callahan in a different direction or... lack there of.

I mentioned in another thread that the 2004 version lost the feeling of isolation, being set in the 21rst century. It is still my favorite King Novel with my favorite King main character.

As film adaptations go The Green Mile is my favorite.

I see Javier Bardem as John Rainbird, cause I can't think of any Native American actors.
Good one.
Ideally, they should find find a young Will Sampson (Chief in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest.")
Georges C. Scott was a great actor, but seriously miscast as John Rainbird.

You are correct, he was a mis-fire. While Rob Lowe has the physical features of Ben Mears in the 2004 version he just seemed to "flashy" looking for a middling writer(maybe it was leather blazer he was wearing that made me think that). Also both versions took Father Callahan in a different direction or... lack there of.

I mentioned in another thread that the 2004 version lost the feeling of isolation, being set in the 21rst century. It is still my favorite King Novel with my favorite King main character.

As film adaptations go The Green Mile is my favorite.
Good point.
And I agree The Green Mile was great.

Good one.
Ideally, they should find find a young Will Sampson (Chief in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest.")
Georges C. Scott was a great actor, but seriously miscast as John Rainbird.

And then in the 2002 sequel, Malcolm McDowell played Rainbird. lol

mmonset.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"