Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Not entirely accurate. They have, definitely, the rights to Unfinished Tales, and we know that because they’ve put stuff on their maps that only shows up in that book. They seem to have the rights to the Akallabeth, though that is still unconfirmed.
Source.

Uh, the maps that they released. Numenor appears on that map as it appears in Unfinished Tales, which is the only book in which it was ever mapped.

In other words, that's speculation. Numenor is mentioned and referenced in the book trilogy.

In other words, that's speculation. Numenor is mentioned and referenced in the book trilogy.

But it’s never mapped. If they didn’t have the rights to Unfinished Tales, they would not be able to use that shape on their map.

But it’s never mapped. If they didn’t have the rights to Unfinished Tales, they would not be able to use that shape on their map.

None of us really know what they have the rights to outside of the three LOTR books. They can probably approximate where it was based on the books.

None of us really know what they have the rights to outside of the three LOTR books. They can probably approximate where it was based on the books.

Amazon uses the exact shape of Numenor on their map that is in the book Unfinished Tales, and is only found in Unfinished Tales: as well as place names within Numenor, such as Meneltarma, or Hyarrostar, or Armenelos, that are only found in Unfinished Tales. They’re not approximating anything: they’re using things that are in Unfinished Tales, and only in Unfinished Tales. If they didn’t have the rights to it, they would not be able to use those names or that exact shape of the island that they use on their map. It’s not about it’s location.

Last edited:
Amazon uses the exact shape of Numenor on their map that is in the book Unfinished Tales, and is only found in Unfinished Tales: as well as place names within Numenor, such as Meneltarma, or Hyarrostar, or Armenelos, that are only found in Unfinished Tales. They’re not approximating anything: they’re using things that are in Unfinished Tales, and only in Unfinished Tales. If they didn’t have the rights to it, they would not be able to use those names or that exact shape of the island that they use on their map. It’s not about it’s location.

I still can't believe it without proof they have the license to Unfinished Tales.

I still can't believe it without proof they have the license to Unfinished Tales.

I can understand thinking this news is too good to be true, but the map is pretty decisive proof that it is true. They haven't made any official statements - but, they also haven't made any official statements about pretty much anything.

I can understand thinking this news is too good to be true, but the map is pretty decisive proof that it is true. They haven't made any official statements - but, they also haven't made any official statements about pretty much anything.

Fair enough, but I will wait until the writers or producers offer up more information first.

I still wonder how Amazon was able to get the Tolkien heirs and relatives to agree to this deal considering most of them publicly trashed the movies and WB/New Line/Peter Jackson.

Fair enough, but I will wait until the writers or producers offer up more information first.

I still wonder how Amazon was able to get the Tolkien heirs and relatives to agree to this deal considering most of them publicly trashed the movies and WB/New Line/Peter Jackson.
That's an easy one money. As the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase always says everybody's got a price. Personally I think they should do The Book of Three series.

I mean I imagine they didn't get much off the old film rights deal. They probably made off really well here.

“Most”? Who, aside from Christopher Tolkien? Christopher is notably absent from this whole process: he stepped down as head of the Tolkien Estate in 2017. As for Simon, he was a fan of the Peter Jackson movies - and was temporarily disowned by his father because of that. Royd is also a fan of the PJ movies, and even had cameos in both trilogies.

It makes me angry that a Middle Earth property is not shooting in New Zealand after the crap WB pulled getting their anti-union law passed for The Hobbit.

Or Weta or Peter Jackson or the cast and crew.
It's trickier to assign blame when it comes to the cast and crew. Many of the local actors and production team (like Richard Taylor, founder of WETA) actively campaigned against the Hobbit law. I think many of them thought it the lesser of two evils; at least the films' production would stay in New Zealand, instead of leaving the country entirely. And it's not like they had any leverage. Jackson was a hired gun, and it's plain the studio would've had no qualms with firing him if he didn't toe the company line.

Now, however, it doesn't seem like it was worth it as Middle Earth productions are being filmed overseas anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"