Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Same here! I want to be an elf extra, filling a life-long ambition of being fit with my very own pair of prosthetic pointy ear tips. :D

Me too...unfortunately, I don’t live in Scotland.

Ha, that would be pretty fun. I would love a peter Jackson in fellowship of the ring style cameo (turn around, burp at the camera)

Ha, that would be pretty fun. I would love a peter Jackson in fellowship of the ring style cameo (turn around, burp at the camera)

He cameoed in ROTK too, didn’t he? As one of the soldiers on the ship? Did he have a cameo in Two Towers as well?

Yeah, he reprised the carrot-eating cameo in Desolation of Smaug, but I don’t remember his cameos in AUJ and BOTFA

I wonder if he’ll cameo in the tv series?

I wonder if he’ll cameo in the tv series?

I would love if he or a couple of the original actors could return just for brief cameos like that or bit parts. I know Ian still wants to be part of it, but Gandalf doesn’t even exist in the time period this show will be set in. Sean Astin and Elijah suggested they weren’t interested in the idea, and John Rhys-Davies and Andy Serkis didn’t want any involvement.

(Looks up JRD’s recent filmography and wonders why he feels this project is beneath him)

(Looks up JRD’s political views and realizes he’s a racist A-hole, so suddenly his poor career choices make more sense)

(Looks up JRD’s recent filmography and wonders why he feels this project is beneath him)

(Looks up JRD’s political views and realizes he’s a racist A-hole, so suddenly his poor career choices make more sense)

Yeah, his outright refusal was pretty harsh, insinuating that LOTR should never be remade and that Tolkien would be rolling in his grave. Andy just didn’t want to be pigeonholed.

Same here! I want to be an elf extra, filling a life-long ambition of being fit with my very own pair of prosthetic pointy ear tips. :D

I don't think Elves really had pointy ears. :oldrazz: I think he who must not be named made that up. You'd be fine being your usual, charming self....and with your own ears. Let me guess...An Elf of the Noldor with Vanyar thrown in. Am I close? :cwink: If you could generate a little inner light, that might be helpful though.

Are you STILL going on about seeing Cate in a play (from the 1st row no less.....:oldrazz::oldrazz::oldrazz:)?

Hope all is well.
Lindir

I don't think Elves really had pointy ears. :oldrazz: I think he who must not be named made that up. You'd be fine being your usual, charming self....and with your own ears. Let me guess...An Elf of the Noldor with a little bit of the Vanyar thrown in. Am I close? :cwink: If you could generate a little inner light, that might be helpful though.

Are you STILL going on about seeing Cate in a play (from the 1st row no less.....:oldrazz::oldrazz::oldrazz:)?

Hope all is well.
Lindir

Well, Tolkien did say the Elves had “leaf-shaped ears”. Make of that what you will, but I assume that means pointy....unless, perhaps, he intended them to have maple-leaf shaped ears.

Well, Tolkien did say the Elves had “leaf-shaped ears”. Make of that what you will, but I assume that means pointy....unless, perhaps, he intended them to have maple-leaf shaped ears.

That's true. I don't recall reading that before...and I think we can safely assume that maple or palm leaves are out. LOL.

Fin, break out the prosthesis....

That's true. I don't recall reading that before...and I think we can safely assume that maple or palm leaves are out. LOL.

It’s in the appendices to The Lost Road & Other Writings. :yay:

It’s in the appendices to The Lost Road & Other Writings. :yay:

Yeah, I found it. I think this is a little ambiguous, but do think their ears are probably slightly different. I think of the Peredhil. Did Eärendil or Elrond's twin (Elros Tar-Minyatur) have pointy ears and then they gradually became more round because the Númenóreans were of the Edain? This is from early Tolkien canon as far as I can tell and he did change his mind about things (elevated Galadriel in his later writings for example). Still, there's nothing to indicate that Elves didn't have ears having a slightly different shape than those of the Edain.

Yeah, his outright refusal was pretty harsh, insinuating that LOTR should never be remade and that Tolkien would be rolling in his grave. Andy just didn’t want to be pigeonholed.

But they're not remaking the original trilogy, right? So it's kind of a moot point.

Me too...unfortunately, I don’t live in Scotland.

Neither do I, but being in England I guess I'm close enough. Definitely closer than New Zealand. :cwink:

I don't think Elves really had pointy ears. :oldrazz: I think he who must not be named made that up. You'd be fine being your usual, charming self....and with your own ears. Let me guess...An Elf of the Noldor with Vanyar thrown in. Am I close? :cwink: If you could generate a little inner light, that might be helpful though.

Hope all is well.
Lindir

I'm also going by the same Tolkien quote about elves having 'leaf-shaped' ears as @THORin. :oldrazz: And Jackson was hardly the first person to portray Tolkien's elves as having pointy ears, I recall the wood elves in the 1977 Rankin-Bass animation of The Hobbit also had pointy ears. But they were also green and the High-Elves had beards for some reason so whatever, what did they know. :cwink: I do think the movie/TV elves having pointy ears is a useful visual distinction from humans, especially for female elves who otherwise wouldn't look much different from beautiful female humans.

Of course I would be a part-Noldor, part-Vanyar elf extra, only the best for me my friend! :gngl:

And I will NEVER stop going on about sitting a few feet away from Queen Cate Blanchett, are you mad? :gibbs: Being in the presence of true elven royalty is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Neither do I, but being in England I guess I'm close enough. Definitely closer than New Zealand. :cwink:

I'm also going by the same Tolkien quote about elves having 'leaf-shaped' ears as @THORin. :oldrazz: And Jackson was hardly the first person to portray Tolkien's elves as having pointy ears, I recall the wood elves in the 1977 Rankin-Bass animation of The Hobbit also had pointy ears. But they were also green and the High-Elves had beards for some reason so whatever, what did they know. :cwink: I do think the movie/TV elves having pointy ears is a useful visual distinction from humans, especially for female elves who otherwise wouldn't look much different from beautiful female humans.

Of course I would be a part-Noldor, part-Vanyar elf extra, only the best for me my friend! :gngl:

And I will NEVER stop going on about sitting a few feet away from Queen Cate Blanchett, are you mad? :gibbs: Being in the presence of true elven royalty is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Yeah. He didn't complain about any of the drawings when he was alive that I recall; though I'm not sure that says much because some of the drawings were clearly wrong and I don't recall reading any comments regarding the drawings of others. In fact, now that I think about it, the only picture I can think where Tolkien drew people was Beleg finding Gwindor in Taur-nu-Fuin, but the figures, from memory, are teeny tiny. I think you two are correct about the ears being shaped somewhat differently.... Unless he was talking about rounder leaves....Hey, maybe the point was facing down....LOL.

And no more whacking me :gibbs: or I'll have to report you to the mods. :cwink:

Hope all is well.

Yeah. He didn't complain about any of the drawings when he was alive that I recall; though I'm not sure that says much because some of the drawings were clearly wrong and I don't recall reading any comments regarding the drawings of others. In fact, now that I think about it, the only picture I can think where Tolkien drew people was Beleg finding Gwindor in Taur-nu-Fuin, but the figures, from memory, are teeny tiny. I think you two are correct about the ears being shaped somewhat differently.... Unless he was talking about rounder leaves....Hey, maybe the point was facing down....LOL.

And no more whacking me :gibbs: or I'll have to report you to the mods. :cwink:

Hope all is well.

He did draw Bilbo in the end illustration for the Hobbit, and I think - I might be wrong - but I think his ears are ever so slightly pointed too. Not that that says anything about Elven ears, but I was just trying to think of other times Tolkien drew people. Am I forgetting any others?

He did draw Bilbo in the end illustration for the Hobbit, and I think - I might be wrong - but I think his ears are ever so slightly pointed too. Not that that says anything about Elven ears, but I was just trying to think of other times Tolkien drew people. Am I forgetting any others?

I have a whole bunch of his drawings and don't remember the one you're mentioning.

By golly gee.....you are right! I looked it up and never saw that one before. You're just a treasure trove of wisdom these days. It does look like his ears are pointed. It's a picture from 1937 from what I'm seeing. Around the same time as his writing about it???

Cool. Thanks.

I have a whole bunch of his drawings and don't remember the one you're mentioning.

By golly gee.....you are right! I looked it up and never saw that one before. You're just a treasure trove of wisdom these days. It does look like his ears are pointed. It's a picture from 1937 from what I'm seeing. Around the same time as his writing about it???

Cool. Thanks.

I feel so honored!

‘The Lord Of The Rings’: J.A. Bayona To Direct Amazon Series

Amazon Studios’ high-profile The Lord Of the Rings TV series has made a key hire. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom director Juan Antonio (J.A.) Bayona has been tapped to direct the first two episodes of the big-scope fantasy drama, following in the footsteps of Peter Jackson who directed the feature adaptation of the classic J.R.R. Tolkien novels.

“J.R.R. Tolkien created one of the most extraordinary and inspiring stories of all time, and as a lifelong fan it is an honor and a joy to join this amazing team,” said Bayona. “I can’t wait to take audiences around the world to Middle-earth and have them discover the wonders of the Second Age, with a never before seen story.”

Bayona also will executive produce alongside his producing partner Belén Atienza.

The Lord of the Rings series is written by feature scribes JD Payne and Patrick McKay. They lead a writers room, which is believed to include Breaking Bad alumna Gennifer Hutchison and Game Of Thrones veteran Bryan Cogman, among others.

“We are thrilled to have J.A. and Belen joining the fellowship as we continue to develop this epic series,” said Payne and McKay. “We have been great admirers of J.A.’s work for years, and know that his epic, cinematic, and deeply heartfelt aesthetic is the perfect sensibility to bring Middle-earth to life anew.”

Bayona’s first feature film, the critically acclaimed thriller The Orphanage, executive produced by Guillermo del Toro, premiered to a ten-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival and later won seven Goya Awards in Spain, including best new director.

Bayona most recently directed Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which grossed more than $1.3 billion worldwide. He also directed the features The Impossible, starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, and A Monster Calls, starring Sigourney Weaver, Liam Neeson, and Felicity Jones, as well as the first two episodes of Showtime’s hit series Penny Dreadful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"