Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

I'm probably the only one that wanted Amazon to set up shop in Europe. Absolutely nothing against New Zealand at all, but I was hoping to see a bit of an aesthetic change.

I suppose the silver lining here is it gets Weta Workshop involved.

I'm probably the only one that wanted Amazon to set up shop in Europe. Absolutely nothing against New Zealand at all, but I was hoping to see a bit of an aesthetic change.

I suppose the silver lining here is it gets Weta Workshop involved.

I had half-baked desires to move to Scotland and try to get a job there, so I agree with you haha.

Scotland is beautiful especially Edinburgh.

Loch Ness is a bit overrated though to be honest. Everyone turns up expecting Jurassic Park but it’s just a lake haha

Lord of the Rings would be better off as an animation imo. It's Harry Potter that would sell as a live action TV series IF they made it gross like Stranger Things and Game of Thrones, something close to rated R

Lord of the Rings would be better off as an animation imo.

Been there, done that. I actually enjoyed Bakshi’s LOTR because it’s hilarious, but I have no desire to see another attempt to animate the story. Now, if Bakshi were to ever be allowed to release the second half of his movie, I would most definitely support that.

It's Harry Potter that would sell as a live action TV series IF they made it gross like Stranger Things and Game of Thrones, something close to rated R

I mean, they could do that. It wouldn't be Harry Potter, but they could do that.

Been there, done that. I actually enjoyed Bakshi’s LOTR because it’s hilarious, but I have no desire to see another attempt to animate the story. Now, if Bakshi were to ever be allowed to release the second half of his movie, I would most definitely support that.

I'd love to have a 3 hour animated mini series adaption of the Hobbit.

Oh God, I watched that once, right after I finished the books. What an abomination of a movie. First, they kept referring to Saruman as Arumand so that the audience wouldn’t confuse him with Sauron. That’s a noble enough idea, but if you’re going to do that, then just change his name altogether. Instead, they ALSO refer to him as Saruman at different points in the movie. Maybe Arumand was supposed to be his last name?

Then you had the ridiculous orc sequences, which featured LIVE ACTORS. Because in a film which primarily focuses on humans, it makes a TON of sense to animate THEM while using real people to play the green-skinned monsters.

Also, Aragorn looked like Prince Valiant if he got addicted to steroids and had his face run over by a truck.

Oh God, I watched that once, right after I finished the books. What an abomination of a movie. First, they kept referring to Saruman as Arumand so that the audience wouldn’t confuse him with Sauron. That’s a noble enough idea, but if you’re going to do that, then just change his name altogether. Instead, they ALSO refer to him as Saruman at different points in the movie. Maybe Arumand was supposed to be his last name?

Then you had the ridiculous orc sequences, which featured LIVE ACTORS. Because in a film which primarily focuses on humans, it makes a TON of sense to animate THEM while using real people to play the green-skinned monsters.

Also, Aragorn looked like Prince Valiant if he got addicted to steroids and had his face run over by a truck.

Don’t forget the ugly Balrog/lion/Pekingese dog creature, and the moaning Ringwraiths, and of course the snagged-toothed Samwise. And can someone please tell me why Gandalf was always spinning around like a human pinwheel? Or why Boromir had Viking horns? Or why Legolas was a creepy anime character with gigantic eyes? Or what was going on with Treebeard a.k.a. The Giant Carrot? I had a lot of questions after watching that movie.

In case people didn't know....Rankin/Bass who made the animated HOBBIT movie also finished the LOTR starting where Bakshi left off. So, even though the art styles differ greatly, the two discs make-up the entire story in animated form.

In case people didn't know....Rankin/Bass who made the animated HOBBIT movie also finished the LOTR starting where Bakshi left off. So, even though the art styles differ greatly, the two discs make-up the entire story in animated form.

True, I suppose. But Bakshi has said that he still has almost the whole second half of his version done, and he would love to release it one day. But obviously that’s not going to happen, so we’ll never know what he planned to do to the rest of the story.

True, I suppose. But Bakshi has said that he still has almost the whole second half of his version done, and he would love to release it one day. But obviously that’s not going to happen, so we’ll never know what he planned to do to the rest of the story.
Hmmm....I don't remember hearing that. I thought he ran out of money and time on the first one and didn't get around to working on another one.

Hmmm....I don't remember hearing that. I thought he ran out of money and time on the first one and didn't get around to working on another one.

Yeah, I think you’re right, actually. For some reason I had mistaken or misread what he had actually said, which was simply: “Now that Saul Zaentz is gone, I wouldn’t mind being involved. If Warner Bros. wanted to make part two and three in animation, I would consult.”
For some reason I had thought he said more about the subject. I don’t know why.

Don’t forget the ugly Balrog/lion/Pekingese dog creature, and the moaning Ringwraiths, and of course the snagged-toothed Samwise. And can someone please tell me why Gandalf was always spinning around like a human pinwheel? Or why Boromir had Viking horns? Or why Legolas was a creepy anime character with gigantic eyes? Or what was going on with Treebeard a.k.a. The Giant Carrot? I had a lot of questions after watching that movie.

Haha yeah that was all so bad. I also remember Treebeard is just suddenly in the story, carrying the Hobbits, with no introduction whatsoever. So, so awful.

I haven't seen this version, but now I'm going to hunt it down for a good laugh.

I'm rereading the trilogy for the first time since high school now. It's such an enchanting book.

I haven't seen this version, but now I'm going to hunt it down for a good laugh.

I'm rereading the trilogy for the first time since high school now. It's such an enchanting book.

Yeah, it's worth sitting through, especially now that we have the LOTR live action films and we know that the books can be translated into good movies. When I watched the cartoon though, it was way before those came out and I was terrified that the movies would turn out that badly, lol.

Having seen the Bakshi version, I can't see how in the world that Sam ever could have pulled off the stuff Sam has to do in the second half of the story. Bakshi turned him into an utter comic-relief dolt who seemed mentally challenged. Can't see him carrying Frodo up the slopes of Mount Doom to destroy the Ring.

I thought the voice acting was very good for the most part, though. Anthony Daniels played Legolas and John Hurt was Aragorn. I think Peter Woodthorpe who did Gollum also played him in the BBC Radio adaptation.

Whoa, that was John Hurt as Aragorn? I never knew that. Anyway, yeah, Sam was a doofus. I've never seen Bakshi's Return of the King movie, but I'm guessing that Sam takes Shelob out after he trips over a bucket of water, which proceeds to spill all over the ground and makes her slip and fall down a chasm.

Bakshi never got to make the second part of the movie, the first one was such a major flop that he didn't get the chance. I remember hearing later that a lot of moviegoers didn't realize it was only the first part of the story, so when the movie ended after Helm's Deep, people were vocally confused. "Wait! That's IT?"

Rankin/ Bass did a version of Return of the King, and I enjoyed it but it's severely truncated. No Shelob, no Saruman, no Faramir (although Eowyn's in it and is seen at the end riding next to a black-haired guy who *could* be Faramir), the story starts with Frodo and Sam at Cirith Ungol and goes from there. The voice cast was good though, Roddy McDowall played Sam and Robert Conrad played a thoroughly crazy Denethor. They did include the Mouth of Sauron and Denethor's Palantir , but there's no Army of the Dead or big battle at the end. I did think they did a good job showing Frodo getting overtaken by the Ring at the end. It's worth a look, just remember it's a children's show and there are songs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"