Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Eh... I really hope Elrond is not a central character. I am just not interested in a young Elrond story. And I like Poulter but I am not sure I like him for Elrond.

Eh... I really hope Elrond is not a central character. I am just not interested in a young Elrond story. And I like Poulter but I am not sure I like him for Elrond.

Elrond is bound to be a central character: he’s a major player in the events of the Second Age, as Gil-galad’s right-hand man and his eventual successor as keeper of Vilya. And Poulter bears such a striking resemblance to Hugo Weaving, I honestly cannot picture more perfect casting.

I mean, we really have no idea which parts of Tolkien lore the story of the show is going to focus on, other than Sauron and Numenor seem likely. I prefer Elrond as a secondary character, but you might be right, maybe the showrunners will want to make him a central focus. Poulter has a superficial resemblance to Elrond but I think Poulter is better suited to characters with comedic or weaselly undertones. Not to say he could not pull Elrond off, but I think if they are casting Elrond they could easily find someone who is more of a natural fit for the character in terms of how they carry themselves.

‘Lord of the Rings’ Series Taps Morfydd Clark as Young Galadriel (EXCLUSIVE)

“His Dark Materials” star Morfydd Clark has landed a lead role in Amazon’s upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series.

Sources say Clark will play young Galadriel, the character famously played by Cate Blanchett in Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” films. This would mark one of the first major characters from the book or film to be featured in this series.

Her new film just debuted its trailer today.

Lord of the Rings TV show desperately on lookout for odd-looking actors | Daily Mail Online

Two Auckland casting companies have issued appeals to fill roles for the grotesque monsters on the new Amazon Lord of the Rings series, which begins filming in 2020.

One of the agencies turned to Facebook, where they asked for suitable applicants under 5ft or over 6ft 5ins with 'wonderful noses' and 'character faces'.

The other, was more specific in their request, asking for lots of wrinkles and 'hairy hairy people of all ages and ethnicities'.

'HAIR HAIR HAIR — if you have natural red hair, white hair, or lots and lots of freckles,' the agency added.

The advert also welcomed 'Long Lithe dancers', 'stocky mean-looking bikers', and 'redheads all ages [sic], shapes and sizes', to apply.

In the country of just under five million, casting companies are struggling to fill roles of the freakish J.R.R Tolkien creations and have resorted to hitting the streets to find suitably odd-looking members of the public, according to the Wall Street Journal.

I am not okay with the fact that Morfydd Clark looks identical - identical - to my one true love, Cate Blanchett. Is this real? Is this happening right now?
There goes my hope of seeing Cate back. :(

*sighs*

My only concern is that her Welsh accent is so strong, I wonder if she’ll keep it for the role or not? It’s not a problem, but it’s also nothing like how Cate talks.

I know, I know. :csad:

Though gotta say she does have some big shoes to fill. Bigger heels for that matter.

LOL, is it just me, or does Morfydd sound like a LOTR character name?

Anyway, glad we got our Galadriel. Not familiar with the actress but she does have a resemblance to Cate, which is good.

I do wonder though what this means for the other cast members. We were all convinced that a lot of the character names they gave out were code names for canonical characters, based on some of the descriptions (Oren, for example, sounds a lot like Sauron). However, given that they just announced Galadriel, maybe those weren't code names after all? Or maybe some of them were? Hmmmm.

What a shame, I was looking forward to seeing Poulter

I wasn't convinced that the names were all codes. I think a good chunk of the characters are going to be "new."

Yeah, it will probably be a mix of canonical and new characters. But if we don't at least get Sauron and Celebrimbor, Imma be pissed.

I bet they’ll do the old switcheroo with sauron. As in, we spend the whole season with a background character called bob or whatever. In the last episode we learn bob is sauron

I bet they’ll do the old switcheroo with sauron. As in, we spend the whole season with a background character called bob or whatever. In the last episode we learn bob is sauron

Yeah, they may do something like that, especially since Sauron first comes to Celebrimbor and the elves in his "fair form" and hookwinks them into making the rings. I don't remember if Tolkien ever specified whether he used his real name when he did that or if he called himself something else. It could work either way, really.

Yeah, they may do something like that, especially since Sauron first comes to Celebrimbor and the elves in his "fair form" and hookwinks them into making the rings. I don't remember if Tolkien ever specified whether he used his real name when he did that or if he called himself something else. It could work either way, really.

Sauron called himself Annatar when he came to the elves. Annatar means "lord of gifts".

Sauron called himself Annatar when he came to the elves. Annatar means "lord of gifts".

Right yes, I remember that now. Okay. Hopefully whoever plays Sauron in this (and I hope someone does) goes by Annatar initially when he's with the elves.

Nice. I hope Morfydd Clark can do a great job.

He replaces Will Poulter, who had been in negotiations for the young hero role, referred to as Beldor,

Baldor

Baldor also known as Baldor the Hapless, was the oldest son of Brego, 2nd Lord of the Mark, and brother of Aldor, 3rd Lord of the Mark.

He was said to have passed along the Paths of the Dead, through the Dark Door under Dwimorberg. Theoden said "A rash vow he spoke, as he drained the horn at the feast which Brego made to hallow new-built Meduseld, and he never came to the high seat of which he was the heir".

After passing through the Dark Door, Aragorn found "...the bones of a mighty man. He had been clad in mail, and still his harness lay there whole; for the cavern's air was as dry as dust, and his hauberk was gilded. His belt was of gold and garnets, and rich with gold was the helm upon his bony head face downward on the floor. He had fallen near the far wall of the cave, as now could be seen, and before him stood a stony door closed fast: his finger-bones were still clawing at the cracks. A notched and broken sword lay by him, as if he had hewn at the rock in his last despair. Aragorn did not touch him, but after gazing silently for a while he rose and sighed. 'Hither shall the flowers of simbelmynë come never unto world's end,' he murmured. 'Nine mounds and seven there are now green with grass, and through all the long years he has lain at the door that he could not unlock. Whither does it lead? Why would he pass? None shall ever know!'" This was, presumably, Baldor.

In an unfinished essay, Tolkien expanded upon Baldor's fate, stating that he made it as far as the door (which led to an old temple built by men who worshipped Sauron) before unknown enemies broke his legs, leaving him to die in the darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"