Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

I really hope that’s the case. I want to see him in his werwolf/vampire form (but this needs to look better then that slenderman from the Hobbit trilogy)

I really hope that’s the case. I want to see him in his werwolf/vampire form (but this needs to look better then that slenderman from the Hobbit trilogy)

Yeah that’s what I was thinking seeing Sauron in his many forms over the years.

They even went as far as having the word ring in there twice. After Lord of the Rings: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey I'm sure audience wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. :o

Hahaha yeah it reminds me of how WB and Nolan has to call their final Batman film The Dark Knight Rises because otherwise, people might not have realized that the new Batman movie was a sequel to the last Batman movie that had the same cast and director.

I was thinking more in flashbacks if this is to be an origin story of sorts for Sauron.

Not really sure quite what you mean by "origin". He was originally Mairon, the most powerful of the Maiar of Aule who came to Arda with those of the Valar who chose to become part of it. Sort of like Melkor, who was great among the Valar and later became evil. He got his name Morgoth from Feanor after he destroyed the 2 trees of Valinor and killed his father Finwe. Sauron's (Gorthaur, Thauron, etc.) evolution and turn to evil occurred as he turned from Aule and began to follow Melkor. If they have the rights, I suppose they could do something like that. I saw some pictures of what appear to be the 2 trees (Laurelin and Telperion) and they were destroyed long before the 2nd Age so it would seem they can at least show images from earlier. There was a rumor that they only had rights to the events of the 2nd Age, but I don't know how accurate that is.

I'd guess they won't go into that much detail as this particular incarnation of him is tied directly to the tale of Beren and Luthien and really has no connection to the events of the 2nd Age. Who knows though........

Hahaha yeah it reminds me of how WB and Nolan has to call their final Batman film The Dark Knight Rises because otherwise, people might not have realized that the new Batman movie was a sequel to the last Batman movie that had the same cast and director.
Yes, or even worse: X-Men Origins: Wolverine. How else will people know it's an origin story starring Wolverine from the X-Men movies? :D

I like the name, honestly I’m even more keen to see the series now.

imagine if we ended up rooting for Sauron?

Yes, or even worse: X-Men Origins: Wolverine. How else will people know it's an origin story starring Wolverine from the X-Men movies? :D

Haha exactly. Also, is your name a reference to the Weather Witch from the Elder Scrolls games?

I like the name, honestly I’m even more keen to see the series now.

imagine if we ended up rooting for Sauron?

You mean you haven’t been rooting for Sauron all this time? :hehe:

He wants to make jewellery for his friends! That’s kind of nice

:funny:

Yeah. That is kind of nice. In fact, he wanted jewelry for his friends so badly that he captured and tortured Celebrimbor to death to find out the location of the Elven Rings and then used his body as a banner when he attacked the Grey Havens. He must really, really like his friends. Go team!

Man, I hope Celebrimbor is a major character in this. I got kind of attached to that arrogant elf due to the Middle Earth games.

Man, I hope Celebrimbor is a major character in this. I got kind of attached to that arrogant elf due to the Middle Earth games.
He HAS to be. I mean, look at the title. We don't know a WHOLE lot about him, but he was not portrayed as arrogant or vain in the books. We know his father was Curufin; the most skilled in craft of the sons of Feanor, was a friend of the dwarves and worked closely with them. In fact, he sent the Elven rings to Gil-Galad and Galadriel, (with Gil-Galad giving Narya to Cirdan, who later gave it to Gandalf); albeit under duress of attack. He also sent the greatest of the 7 rings of the Dwarves to Durin III in Khazad-Dum. There is NO WAY his grandfather, Feanor, who certainly was arrogant and vain, would have ever done such a thing. I'm not familiar with the game, but they may have taken his character from his father or grandfather. He is believed to have been in love with Galadriel and gave her the ring Nenya for that reason; although it is possible he gave it to her because he recognized that she was the greatest of the Noldor remaining in Middle-Earth.

He HAS to be. I mean, look at the title. We don't know a WHOLE lot about him, but he was not portrayed as arrogant or vain in the books. We know his father was Curufin; the most skilled in craft of the sons of Feanor, was a friend of the dwarves and worked closely with them. In fact, he sent the Elven rings to Gil-Galad and Galadriel, (with Gil-Galad giving Narya to Cirdan, who later gave it to Gandalf); albeit under duress of attack. He also sent the greatest of the 7 rings of the Dwarves to Durin III in Khazad-Dum. There is NO WAY his grandfather, Feanor, who certainly was arrogant and vain, would have ever done such a thing. I'm not familiar with the game, but they may have taken his character from his father or grandfather. He is believed to have been in love with Galadriel and gave her the ring Nenya for that reason; although it is possible he gave it to her because he recognized that she was the greatest of the Noldor remaining in Middle-Earth.

Sweet. Someone else who knows and understands the lore. :) Nice to meet you. Speaking of Celebrimbor, his life leading towards his fate in the end is so sad...and haunting. :(

Haha yeah when I said that, I was just referring to his characterization in the game. I know it’s not canon but I liked that they portrayed him that way. Bear in mind though that the version of him in the game is a wraith who has been revived in the Third Age by Sauron to forge more rings. So he’s probably a lot more angry and vicious than he was in the second age because he wants to avenge the deaths of his family and himself. Again, none of this is canon but it’s a fun “What If?” sort of thing.

Haha yeah when I said that, I was just referring to his characterization in the game. I know it’s not canon but I liked that they portrayed him that way. Bear in mind though that the version of him in the game is a wraith who has been revived in the Third Age by Sauron to forge more rings. So he’s probably a lot more angry and vicious than he was in the second age because he wants to avenge the deaths of his family and himself. Again, none of this is canon but it’s a fun “What If?” sort of thing.

Thanks for that. I think I’m going to go to sleep now and have the nightmare you’ve created for me. Are you gonna be OK? :gibbs:

Sweet. Someone else who knows and understands the lore. :) Nice to meet you. Speaking of Celebrimbor, his life leading towards his fate in the end is so sad...and haunting. :(

Well, I should. You can check out my Tolkien collection on my website below. I've basically read everything cover to cover (although some of my more collectibles are unread and I turned to paperbacks or my poorer condition hardbacks). I used to have insomnia because I would start thinking about daily stuff when I tried to go to bed. It took years and years to cure myself of it and the way I did it was to put a light on a timer and read The Lord of the Rings and the Appendices or The Silmarillion. It cleared my mind and I would fall asleep after awhile. Fortunately, that got fixed before I got married. LOL. I've lost count, but I'd say I've probably read LotR maybe 75 times or so and The Silmarillion maybe 30 or so??? The Hobbit, while I like it, is of less interest to me as part of the history of Middle Earth and I've read it maybe 3 or 4 times. Many of them like Lost Tales, the rest of The History of Middle Earth collection, Unfinished Tales, and The Children of Hurin, I've read maybe once or twice. I've read some of his non-Middle Earth writings also (Farmer, Smith, Bombadil).

I appreciate the lore info haha. I've only seen the films and have played through shadow of mordor so i managed to get the celebrimbor reference haha.

As far as we know, he could have been the last of the direct descendants of Feanor. The other possibility is that Maglor survived well into the 2nd or 3rd Ages and maybe beyond; which is hinted at, but not confirmed. IMO, he probably was alive in the 3rd Age, but there's no way to know for sure.

Decent title. No issue with it. Gives this thing more shape in my mind. As always, so much potential but so much work required. Very cautiously curious still.

Decent title. No issue with it. Gives this thing more shape in my mind. As always, so much potential but so much work required. Very cautiously curious still.
It seems pretty informative and, I think, answers the question of the focus of the series. While I'm sure Numenor and the Edain will be big part of the story (you can't really talk about the 2nd Age without Numenor being a big part of the story), this seems to indicate that there will be maybe more of a focus on Elves and Dwarves than I might have thought originally. Sauron (Annatar) is sort of the glue that will hold everything together.

Also, it will be interesting to see the look they give Sauron and how it changes as his designs become clear to others.

Also, it will be interesting to see the look they give Sauron and how it changes as his designs become clear to others.

So am I. I'm looking forward to seeing how they play out his rise to power leading to his downfall.

So am I. I'm looking forward to seeing how they play out his rise to power leading to his downfall.

Another thing that has me excited is that the visuals could be so stunning. I've got these images in my head of the Numenorean fleet of Ar-Pharazon that came to Umbar. It was so immense that Sauron surrendered without a fight (but devised another plan to defeat the Numenoreans) and his fleet that attacked Valinor itself and the ensuing disaster that resulted even in the destruction of Numenor and carried Elendil and the faithful to the shores of Middle-Earth. If done right, those scenes could be mind blowing and, even though I've got a home theater with a 120" screen, I'd LOVE to see things like this in a movie theater......sigh......

Another thing that has me excited is that the visuals could be so stunning. I've got these images in my head of the Numenorean fleet of Ar-Pharazon that came to Umbar. It was so immense that Sauron surrendered without a fight (but devised another plan to defeat the Numenoreans) and his fleet that attacked Valinor itself and the ensuing disaster that resulted even in the destruction of Numenor and carried Elendil and the faithful to the shores of Middle-Earth. If done right, those scenes could be mind blowing and, even though I've got a home theater with a 120" screen, I'd LOVE to see things like this in a movie theater......sigh......

Yes....Imagine the fleet of Numenor coming out of the shadows from the water to the shores of Middle-earth to fend off Sauron's armies in a last desperate fight, lending their aid to the Elves who have died struggling to defend Eregion. This is after Celebrimbor dies...his death I feel would echo things to come. I wonder if they'll explore the friendship between Galadriel and Celebrimbor...cause in one variation of Tolkien's work, Celebrimbor was in love with Galadriel but she turned him down and ended up marrying Celeborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"