Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Hmmmmm.......I've never read anything about that happening. It doesn't make sense to me that Celebrimbor would give the elven rings to any other elves without first giving them to Gil-Galad and Galadriel as they were easily the greatest of the Elves of Middle-Earth. Gil-Galad was High King of the Noldor and the Elves of the West after the death of Turgon. I don't see Celebrimbor giving away three of the greatest of his work unless it was necessary; as it became when Sauron started the war about 90 years after their creation.

So, my take is that Celebrimbor kept his greatest works until he became afraid that Sauron would take them by force. If he did give them up, he would have given them to the greatest of the elves (which he ended up doing) and not to, say, the King of Greenwood the Great, Oropher (grandfather of Legolas) who was killed in the War of the Last Alliance. And if he did give them to Gil-Galad and Galadriel, they wouldn't have had to give them back as they were the ones who kept them after the invasion of Eregion.

If this is what you are writing, you should figure out why they weren't given to Gil-Galad and Galadriel to begin with.

Not exactly...I mean I could be wrong but It was just a thought that occurred to me one night while going through the timeline. Now I have the book The Sil, and im going through the chapter at the end "The Rings of Power". It makes no names as to who the elves were who bore the rings when Sauron tried to deceive the elves. So if in the year 1200 is when Gil Galad, Elrond and Galadriel turned away Annatar (because they did not trust him at the time), and in the year 1350 is when Galadriel, Celeborn left Eregion to travel to Loriand (later renamed Lothlorien) and the forging of the rings of power were made in the year 1500...and the three rings were then forged after Annatar left, Galadriel couldn't have been there to witness the creation of the elven rings in 1590...unless she at some point paid Celebrimbor a visit? Because during all the time between the years 1350 and 1590, she dwelt with King Admir and his son Amroth.

Then 10 years later is when the One Ring is forged and then 1693 is when the 3 rings were hidden from Sauron. 2 years later evades Eriador, followed by the sacking of Eregion 2 years after that. Celebrimbor dies and gates of Khazad Dum is shut. Mind you, the timeline itself can be found in the back of ROTK in Appendix B.

Edit: Also, currently reading the History of Galadriel and Celeborn....if u have the book handy, the unfinished tales, go to page 306, 2nd paragraph.

Last edited:
Read the rings of power and the third age. It seems pretty clear that Celebrimbor has them until they are hidden. I did have an idea about why he might give them to others temporarily but there’s nothing to indicate that it happened

I have multiple copies of unfinished tales so the page probably isn’t much help.

The three were made in 1590. About 10 years before Sauron made the one I don’t see how they could be used after that

Last edited:
just because it is in the book, doesn’t mean it needed to be that way in the series.
I remember PJ stating again and again that it is an interpretation when he raped the book with death soldiers at pelennor, elves at helms deep, arwen dying because of the rings power (?!)…that list goes on and on.
I bet they will “interpret” the source for the series multiple times again.

The only one of those things that bothered me was Arwen dying because of the ring. That made NO sense and was just a convenient plot point to give Aragorn more motivation. The fact that she was willing to stay on Middle-Earth (and indeed WOULD have died or been enslaved if Sauron had won) was motivation enough. It also bugged me (in the special edition) how he punks out with the Palantir because Sauron shows a vision of Arwen dying. Mastering the Palantir is an important moment for Aragorn in the book and they took that away to make him look like a lovesick puppy.

Cy5MuuM.jpg

The three were made in 1590. About 10 years before Sauron made the one I don’t see how they could be used after that

Well if they rings were not used then when Sauron put the one ring on, how did the elves know it was him? I always thought that if the rings were worn by the elves for a little time, they could have sensed Sauron's proclaiming himself as he tried to seduce them.

[QUOTE="Kane52630, post: 38775545, member: 77777"

YsHHgxl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I really hope whoever this proves to be is utilized far better than the Night King.

I am not gonna lie, I am a little skeptical of this series because of unproven showrunners and how much the writer's room is gonna have to manufacture the storylines and characterizations...

But these posters got me hype! Wonderful details and vibes. Really cool concept for an early tease; it's a feast of an amuse bouche.

Well if they rings were not used then when Sauron put the one ring on, how did the elves know it was him? I always thought that if the rings were worn by the elves for a little time, they could have sensed Sauron's proclaiming himself as he tried to seduce them.
The way I read it is that the three Elven Rings were made 10 years prior to the finishing of the forging of the one. Sauron may have been aware of their making when they were finished; even though he took no part in it, but he was surely aware of them after he put on the one. I believe this is because the elves (Celebrimbor in particular) used the knowledge they got from Sauron in their making of the three. It "seems" pretty clear that Celebrimbor and his smiths kept the rings, and probably used them, until 10 years later when Sauron put on the one ring and they became aware of his intentions and treachery. Sauron, it seems, was also furious that his intentions were revealed before his designs were complete and, therefore, openly declared himself and demanded all of the rings because they could never have been made without him. At that point, the elves could no longer use the rings, but it wasn't until about 90 years later, and around the time the War of Elves and Sauron begins, that the rings were "hidden"; by that, I believe this is when they were "sent" to Gil-Galad and Galadriel. This was a couple of years before Eriador was invaded so they could have been safely sent to Mithlond and Lorien.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

I could've sworn it takes place thousands of years before the films but I could be mistaken.
I believe this is about the 2nd Age. If so, it took place over 6000 years before to about 3000 years before. The events recounted in The Hobbit and the LotR took place about 3000 years after the end of the 2nd Age. The 2nd Age itself spanned 3441 years (from memory, but think that's right).
I know the story itself is supposed to be set prior to the stories of the Hobbit and TLOR. But I wasn’t sure if this was its own separate thing or it’s actually a prequel to the films.
It's "sorta" separate although there are tendrils that go back. Think of GoT and those prequels. This tells the story of Numenor and the creation of the Rings of Power (amongst a LOT of other things, but I'd say those are the two major storylines).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"