Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Do epics get any better ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Batmannerism, Jan 21, 2018.

?

LOTR trilogy: do epics get any better ?

1. Best epic trilogy ever

2. It's awesome, one of the best

3. It's pretty good

4. It's okay

5. Not really my cup of tea

6. Rubbish ! There's 10 hours of my life I'll never get back

7. Lord of the who ? Never saw these films.

8. Oh, sorry, thought this thread was about Harry Potter.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

This seems to be the most recent thread I could find about the trilogy, so I'll just leave this here. This cheered me a bit amidst all the bad things happening in the world today.

2. Mjolnir Reborn Blunt Instrument

It was fantastic seeing the cast together again. I remember watching the behind the scenes material for The Fellowship of the Ring back when it was released and being both so happy to see how well the cast got along, as well as a bit jealous of not having any chance to be part of it.

Adhesive Boy and Drizzle like this.
  3. Zorro IncognitoX

Everyone still looks great and the same except maybe Pippin. Haven't seen the trilogy in a couple of years but I will soon as I have them on my list on HBO Max

4. Persona Registered

I accidentally voted for "Rubbish!" but somehow simultaneously also voted for "Best epic trilogy ever!" so I guess it's all good.

As far as epic big-budget Hollywood trilogies go, it's the best and it's tough for me to imagine anything much better, but I was a big fan of the books as a kid so I'm biased.

I would say it is fair to say the trilogy as a whole is rife with flaws but critics in the past have pointed out that PJ has a hobbit-like perspective and with that comes some mis-steps or weaknesses (he doesn't have the otherworldly Elven elegance of vision of some of the all-time great directors) but in a way that's very appropriate because Tolkien kind of took the hobbit perspective, too, when telling the LotR story, and that hobbit-y approach comes with still a lot of craft, attention to detail, good storytelling, awe... and, most of all, heart.

As a preproduction, production, and post-production feat, a studio risk, a gargantuan shoot, the level of intense effort that went into its creation... I mean, those making of documentaries really show how legendary an endeavor it was in epic adventure filmmaking. There were innovations, there were enormous challenges, there was an incredible bonding of cast and crew where they became a family and gave everything and, against all odds, they captured real magic and lit up the silver screen in a way that enchanted audiences and critics alike. It was not Tolkien's vision, but somehow still carried his spirit while working it into Peter Jackson's vision of what that story could be as films for this day and age. Warts and all, it was a beautiful and immense experience, seeing those films for the first time, coming back to the theaters multiple times for them, enraptured by a classic tale and mythos reborn into light & sound.

Sorry if this was already posted here, but on the Internet recently they highlighted some new info about the meaning of the words sung in Elvish in the score at a critical part in Fellowship of the Ring, and it is just one of countless examples of the love-driven artistry that went into making these movies what they were:

Chesterfield and Drizzle like this.
  5. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I love watching the cast stuff. They seemed to have such a great camaraderie in a way that seemed really genuine and sincere, plus most of them still keep in touch (Elijah Wood/Dominic Monaghan/Billy Boyd in particular are still close friends).

I remember one of the things I saw behind the scenes was the very last day of filming, Peter Jackson couldn’t bring himself to end it and they kept doing take after take, and when he finally said that was it, he and Elijah Wood were hugging and crying and I remember Elijah saying “it’s been so amazing Peter”.

Plus there was a palpable sense of dedication and passion about the production, in a way that IMO was missing from The Hobbit.

It really felt like the making of it was this once in a lifetime experience for all involved.

Drizzle likes this.
  6. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

I was huge into LOTR when it came out and I still love the trilogy to this day. They're among my all time favorite films. I lost count of how many times I watched not only the extended versions, but the special features with all the extensive making of documentaries and interviews. They were almost as fun to watch as the films themselves. I truly believe that no other cast and crew collaborated on a film set so perfectly before or since. Compared to movies today where cast members are digitally inserted into scenes if they can't be on set the same day due to scheduling and it just isn't the same. The LOTR team were all in the trenches together and it came together in such a spectacular way that really showed in the final product. That trilogy earned every Oscar that it got.

Yeah, Billy Boyd was the oldest of the hobbit actors and he's now 51. Sean Astin has some more gray in his hair now too but still kind of looks the same. But most of the others, like Elijah Wood, Dom Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Liv Tyler, etc. look like they haven't aged a day. Must have been something in the water down in NZ.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  7. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Wow what a reunion

8. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

I read the first book, decide to watch FOTR. Then I proceed to watch the movies and I’m starting on Two Tower book. Have to say it’s crazy how different in tone between the books and the movies. In the book it feels like the focus is on world building and the Hobbit while the movie focus much more on action and the war.
    And is it kinda strange that I find FOTR a fast-paced movie ? I always heard people complain about how slow LotR movies are but when I watched theatrical FOTR after reading the book, I was shock by how fast it was that I have to rewatched the extended cut.

And this maybe unpopoular but does anyone find the villain in LotR is kinda weak for such an incredible trilogy (if you dont count the One Ring as a villain). Also I think the story is kinda sinple and straightforward.

Nevertheless, it’s still an incredible trilogy for me and I consider it the peak of filmmaking.

9. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

This is one of my few quibbles. Sauron is virtually a non-entity. The most visible "villain" is Christopher Lee as Saruman (unless you count Gollum), which makes it all the more annoying how they just left his demise out of the theatrical edition of Return of the King.

10. DarkKnight88 Registered

The "weakness" of the villain goes back to the book. It's the Eye of Sauron. Hard to make that cinematic when it's much more of a spirit than an actual physical presence. It's why the films played up the minor villains of the book like Saruman, Lurtz and Gothmog.

11. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

Even then, I dont really think Saruman is a strong villain for the trilogy, which is kinda weird because consider how incredible the movies are, you have to think that the villain is extremely memorable and excellent

12. Gothamsknight Registered

This was such a fun watch! Makes me wish i could join in haha

13. Persona Registered

Before the movies came out I was dreading they were gonna humanoid Sauron. That is one of the things I love, that he is just this dread presence looming over the book/film, this seeing Eye that constantly threatens to pinpoint the heroes, and intrinsically connects with the corrupting power of the One Ring. I think most other ways they could have depicted him would have felt much more generic (and obviously a big book departure).

I do wish they had kept the Mouth of Sauron in the RotK theatrical cut (in terms of their pacing and flow I generally prefer the theatrical cuts) because he gives a nice evil figurehead moment towards the climax of the trilogy (plus it was a great excuse for PJ to let his horror freak flag fly).

14. SVSuperman Registered

I voted for best trilogy ever.

15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Amazing set of films. They’re no.1 for me. I wish I could go back to when they were first released.

SVSuperman and Schlosser85 like this.
  16. Albright Registered

This was an awesome trilogy. It was such perfect thing, because they brought out the best of the budget. It had a huge budget, but nothing compared to movies nowadays.
    Peter Jackson knows every person in NZ and got the most passionated in the movies. You can feel the the love and the fun, that everybody had being a part of this. This is why, there won‘t be anything like this again.
    This was completly missing in the Hobbit trilogy. It was all sacrificed for digital work. The bigatures of Rivendell and Moria looked so real in the Rings trilogy.
    Though, I like the Desolation of Smaug (except the Tauriel arc)

17. jmc away for a while

It's really coming up on 20 years. How I hate the passage of time. :(

18. Mjolnir Reborn Blunt Instrument

They did plan on having Sauron fight Aragorn in the battle outside the gates of Mordor. I think even some scenes with him were what was replaced with the huge troll.

I'm very glad they didn't though since it was a bad idea in so many ways. In the book Sauron had taken physical form during LotR but he would certainly not seek to fight personally in his weakened state unless he absolutely had to. He wasn't even keen on that while at his full power.

19. sueb1863 Registered

It'd be cool if they rereleased the movies in theaters, the way they have for other movie anniversaries.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  20. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

I need the theatrical trilogy on UHD. :) asap