"Lost Heroes" - Series Finale Talkback

The finale wasn't bad. I enjoyed the teamwork aspects of it and Green Arrow was a standout. None of the characters seems to get shortchanged (with the possible exception of Batgirl, but what's new).

The only thing that was kind of a drawback was I didn't feel a real sense of jeopardy with all the happenings (certainly not enough for season, let alone series, finale). The last appearance of The Joining had more gravitas and/or suspense. After the heroes recovered their powers, I thought we be might be in for some real animated eye candy as they repelled the invasion, but not so much as it turned out. The Flash bit was nice, as was the Superman/Green Lantern snippet, but I wanted more. Maybe I was expecting too much as the show ended.

A more than decent effort to close with, but it seems to remain that I'll continue to regard Season 4 as the high point. I'm hoping that the next comic-inspired TV show we get isn't so obliviously targeted at the younger demographic.

November Rain said:
It's an episode where the superpowered members lose their abilities and the non super powered ones have to save the day. The bat team and green arrow are underestimated and go in and ultimately save the day..

Well, she called it. Not that it was hard to call.

5 seasons, 65 episodes and 1 DTV, and THE BATMAN has called it a show. Of course, no cartoon lasts beyond 5 seasons these days regardless of ratings or quality and even back "when", a cartoon lasting past the 5th season was rare. Few have garnered as much attention and ire as THE BATMAN, which had to always be in the Timm shadow and more often than not being unable to escape or surpass it.

The WB wants to make a "Brave and the Bold" show which basically would be "Batman Team-Up" and that is what this last season was, Batman spending about 8 episodes this season teaming up with the Justice League. From an exec standpoint, this makes sense. The WB wants to get a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie cranked out by next year. So why not get the kiddies enthused with the idea? Batman had already embraced a "team" of personal sidekicks, so making the leap from that to the League was a no-brainer. The team-up's also provided good cover for the fact that the show wasn't ever the same without Murakami, who was hardly Timm to begin with the first 1-2 seasons.

The show ends as the last season did, with an appearance by the Justice League and a battle against the alien robots, The Joining. But while the last time had more subtle bits to it, this was simply a popcorn fest, and in some ways was not unlike a modern version of a SUPERFRIENDS episode. The Joining kidnaps all of the League members with super-powers, drains them, and uses them to empower robots that vaguely look like the heroes, if they were GUNDAMS. Hey, wasn't there an episode of TINY TOON ADVENTURES like this? With Bat-Duck and the Just-Us League?

Batman & Superman are teaming up to fight the Toyman, whose design was actually pretty cool, a mix of the Golden Age with some twisted additions, but he goes down quickly as Superman is seemingly abducted before Batman's eyes. In quick succession, Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, and even Martian Manhunter are captured, leaving only the non-powered Batman and Green Arrow, along with Robin, to track them down. A psychic hint from the Martian reveals that Hugo Strange is the mastermind behind the plot, as he formed a bond with The Joining during their invasion last season and organized the plot. The League is freed and Strange is soon undone by his own bargain with the aliens, but not before a robot-JL is loose across the city, and they are only the preview before another full invasion.

The robots were large and bulky and in true stupid fashion, their "weak spot" was right on their chests, which seems to be a silly place to have a weak spot. Plus, while the idea of removing superhero powers seemlessly and downloading them into robots works if you're within the demographic, if you are older it seems too "simple". Not all of their powers work the same way, one would imagine. Superman is a Kryptonian empowered by solar rays. Hal Jordon is empowered by the ring, which draws on his will. Flash is connected to the Speed Force. Heck, Hawkman was seemingly an alien guy using Nth Metal stuff, not really super-powered either. In much the same way a "collar" that removes mutant powers in the 90's X-MEN feels silly if you get old enough to wonder that everyone's x-gene would have to be different to produce various powers, and all that. Batgirl finally got to meet the entire Justice League and brought her "sassy" personality with her; she is like Kim Possible only without the actual skill to back it up (and even Kim gets captured a lot). Naturally the invasion is thwarted, Batman & Green Arrow prove to be the best even without powers, and even something as potentially divisive as Batman busting out plans to capture the League if they went rogue is shot down by Superman (although it did make sense; he WAS immediately mind controlled after they met). There isn't a lot of substance but a lot of flash.

Showing this as an hour long special was the right call, as in that format it was fun and fast. Stretched over 2 weekends, it might have gotten more annoying.

It was good seeing Mirror Master again but I came away thinking a Legion of Doom, perhaps led by the Riddler, would have made a stronger source of antagonism rather than more generic robots. This was THE JOINING Lite.

Seeing Robin & Batgirl "geek out" upon being in the Watchtower was cool. It also was interesting that Batman was not about to let Green Arrow take Robin's place at "shotgun" in the Batmobile, instead cramming the archer in the back. And much like Superfriends, Robin was always beside Batman as sort of like a walking utility instrument. Part of me found it humorous that the TV news would mistake huge bulky robots for the Justice League just because they happened to bare the heroes' symbols, but it wasn't as bad as news people in the 90's Spider-Man confusing Morbius for Spidey. Speaking of which, airing after a great premire for the web-slinger's newest cartoon did this finale no favors. It was kind of like saying, "So long, Batman. You've already been replaced by something better. Don't let the door hit your cape on the way out."

This episode had a lot of fun JL action but was not anything too special and this final season burned out most of the goodwill after the rare brilliance of the third season. On the whole this series was of average quality and I won't miss it for long.

Good episode but lousy series finale. In retrospect the "Artifacts" episode should have been chosen.

I didn't mind the show. In fact, I think they got the overall tone right.

The elements that I thought were uneeded didn't really make much of an impression - i.e. the Batwave!

I found the interpretation of The Joker here to be very interesting. Robin was fairly well done, too. The origin of Clayface was actually better than the original. I really liked that it was Bruce's child hood friend and how they played along for a while before him becoming Clayface.

I was really looking forward to more team-ups with other DC characters. Well, we have what we have and, for those of us who enjoyed it for what it was, it was fun.

Y'know... I love how you always whine and b**ch about this show...yet you watch it every saturday and come on the boards for it. :o
I was hoping for some of the fire that was lit during Season 4. But it blew out. :csad:

Oh well *sigh* :csad: At least we got 1 good season....out of the 5 :o

Alright, here was the problem with this finale...

THis finale felt more like a green arrow and batman team up episode.

The problem with the show's fifth season format was that it believed that in order for the show to be central to its special guest member, the other members of the league had to be alienised completely. it's bogus.

Look at what they did with the villains, shadow thief, wrath and sinestro all co-starred with other villains, why couldn't the heroes also interact on a more fluid basis. it would have a more natural flow.

The justice league managed this by having central characters being portrayed in certain episodes yet always giving you the feeling they were part of something bigger by putting in small parts or having other league members walking by in the background, or simply eating inthe canteen.

The watchtower should have also been used more.

I'm not happy with season 5 and this show's gone backwards. even the joker has lost his edge, I don't know what the hell he did in his two eps, they were ****ing aweful.

What happened to the deeply messed up guy who would mascarade as batman and fully understood their relationship to one another, the one who would terrorise police officers and mutate them without guilt, the one would would inevitably cripple babara.

I also believe that one of the saving graces from the past seasons was Bruce, Bruce in this cartoon was always better than his batman. Easily seen in the joining part one or when he finds out clark is superman early on this season not to mention his countless conversations with bennet or his work as a engineer and business rep. Season five lacked all of this and without bruce, the show falls on its ass.

I also can't believe they had the whole league and the action sucked eggs. This ep is pretty much directly comparable to justice league's starcrossed and that was EPIC, this invasion was more of a gimmick like destroyer (talked up but no substance).

The martian is the only decent member of the league, the rest, even superman doesn't have legs, not even bats.

Green arrow came across nice though but a lil gun ho, always ready to suck it to em and fire an arrow, I loved the smile on his face when he took out the league robots with his arrows just at the beginning of the second part, you could tell he's had a lot of angst against his superpowered counterparts and has been wanting to do that for a while. his relationship to hal jordan and how they are both human and how ollie believes wielding a latern ring isn't a skill (like archery) could have been delved into. The whole superpower/nonsuperpower debate. Meh

You know with Hugo strange going to be behind this, I thought we'd get a suped up version of D.A.V.E. now with joining technology behind him tearing the league apart. I sometimes wish I have ideas for this show.

One sec, if toyman has only recently been shown, then who is the dude in cash for toys ep in the third season

19.jpg

ps gordon's underuse in this series has been a complete and utter disgrace but not as bad as detective yin's complete MIA.

Wel this was an ok finale but therewere somanythings that just nagged at me the whole way through the episode. Hopefully this team up show will have different character models and better stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"