Lounge From Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney supppsedly wants 50% of the profits, but if Disney is putting up part of the production costs and letting Spidey appear in other MCU films, thus boosting sony's solo Spidey films, 50% seems fair. Cause it sure as **** wasnt Sony that made MCU spidey so successful. And Since the MCU is the most profitable Spidey and a critical darling youd think Sony would realize that 50% of $1+ billion and great reviews is better than a sub 500 million box office and **** reviews. Cause let's be real, if Sony ****s up the future of the MCU, reboots again, and delivers some garbage Spidey film like ASM2 it's not going to be profitable. Marvel and Spidey fans now have a taste of how good MCU spidey can be so going back to a Sony spidey that cant be in the MCU isnt gonna cut it now.

And really Disney can weather this a lot better than Sony. They can survive without Spidey. But Sony's motion pictures business has been on the financial ropes for years and there was talk a while back of Sony Japan thinking of shutting down the motion picture side of the business. So Disney can just wait for Sony to go up for sell and pick it clean like a dead carcass.
I don't know...

Maybe the flip side argument is that a film division just now starting to right itself and see some profit doesn't want to see half it's financial returns go to another studio and not just for Spidey but for all of the other Spidey related films going forward now and in the future.

I mean... This is what all the accounts so far say which seems far more to indicate a power play on Disney's part. Turning over half your earnings to another company on your company's most profitable asset? Does that sound like a pill anyone would easily swallow?

Sure, the MCU Spidey was a success because of the work of Feige's team and the reflected shine from the MCU brand, but this was always a story about two corporate entities with diametrically opposed goals. Sony has always planned to keep the film rights for as long as possible. Disney wants to obtain sole film rights. Disney's asking for more was part of their side's objective. Fans are acting as though Sony caused this or that fans that went to see Venom are to blame... And acting as though Disney wasn't the one that instigated this.

Now... I want Spidey more than just in the MCU. I want Spidey back totally in the hands of Marvel. And I hoped that would happen at some point in the future, and I think it still will. But to me it seems this current drama with its affects on the current status of Spidey being in the MCU comes down to Disney's actions, pushing for something that had a very high likelihood of being rejected.

giphy.gif

I just remembered that there was a rumor that Marvel intended going forward to have the earth heroes focus on earth with their own big bad and the cosmic heroes would stay away from earth and have their own big bad. And that Norman Osborne was going to be the big bad on earth in the next phase.

Guess that rumor can be written off as never gonna happen.

I wonder how much it would cost for Disney to just buy the rights back to Spidey. Just give Sony 1bill and be done with it lol

I doubt Sony would give up so easily. They have had mixed success with the Spider-Man franchise. 2 really good movies (first two in the early 00's) and then a bomb, then two so-so reboots and then great success with the MCU and a decent run with Venom.

I wonder how much it would cost for Disney to just buy the rights back to Spidey. Just give Sony 1bill and be done with it lol
If Spidey films can now potentially bank a billion at the box office each, then Sony probably wouldn't even let it go that for that amount, lol. "You paid $4 billion for Star Wars, ya cheapskates!"

If Spidey films can now potentially bank a billion at the box office each, then Sony probably wouldn't even let it go that for that amount, lol. "You paid $4 billion for Star Wars, ya cheapskates!"
The only reason the last couple Spidey movies did so good was because of their association with the MCU. Remove that and the quality goes down quickly.

has sony ever had a billion dollar movie before MCU/Spidey involvement?

Like, in general? I think Skyfall made over a billion. That's from Sony, right?

Spider-Man: Further from Home

@flickchick85 dont take this as me cheating on you... I'm just open to Canadians and trying to earn citizenship the right way... I recently bought the "Expos" and this is step 2.

@Perfect Cell

I'll let flick use that for her citizenship... man... she feels like a woman

I've also created a moose with a beak thats detachable and used as a flotation device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"