Lounge of Justice - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?

Not screenname. Avatar

MARGOT!!!

If she were my daughter I'd still be bathing her.

Last edited:
I'd like an avatar of her walking out of the elevator!

Hubba. Hubba.

What?

Not screenname. Avatar

MARGOT!!!

If she were my daughter I'd still be bathing her.

Here's where I Nope the Feck out of here for a while...:woot:
giphy.gif

Saw Baby Driver today. Excellent.

You assume Kevin Spacey is the villain, then he goes and
dies trying to save Baby and his girlfriend from the real villain
Jon Hamm.

Nice Reddit post.

"All this time I've been living my life the way my father wanted; righting wrongs for a ghost. Superman was never real."
Regardless of if it was for better or worse, Batman v Superman is a deconstruction of Superman. A way of representing him, establishing him in a real world with real consequences. And BVS as a movie was quite aware of this a meta way. Now this deconstruction was not done on a whim, like is said often times, this is set up extensively in the previous movie, Man of Steel. For a movie that was supposed to be set in the real world, Man of Steel seemed to present a lot of idealism.
Even his less than idealistic Foster Father says this: "But you're not just anyone Clark, and I have to believe; that you were... that you were sent here for a reason." Assigning a predetermined destiny, a very idealistic one, to him. In a movie about choosing one's destiny.
Clark, in this movie spends his time searching for this purpose. And everyone has something to say.
"So that Krypton can live again. On Earth." - Zod.
Until he meets up with Jor-El, his idealistic biological father who actually sent him to Earth.
"...so that you can be a bridge between two peoples....
....(referring to Lois Lane) look, you can save her Kal. You can save all of them."
This is the last time that Clark, Kal, Superman, speaks to his father. This is what he ultimately takes away from him.
That because of his power he can and will save them all. A dangerous thing to believe in the real world.
Not surprising coming from Jor-El, who is a flawed person by design. Each child on Krypton is genetically engineered to fufill one purpose in life. Born with a limited view on life. Jor-El is no exception, which is why he chooses to die on Krypton, because he can't live in the real world. In Man of Steel, Superman still doesn't wind up saving everyone like he thought he would. He even kills General Zod with his bare hands. Now, in Batman v Superman, he continues to try anyway. He is flying across the world, from the fictional African state of Nairomi, to Mexico. There is a lot to be said about the questions this raises about the omnipotence of God, but that's a digression.
The really important bit is that he is summarily proven wrong, given a rude awakening of sorts, by Lex Luthor. The Capitol Building is bombed while he is still inside, killing everyone within but him.
"I didn't see it Lo; I was standing right there and I didn't see it....I'm afraid I didn't see it because I wasn't looking. All this time, I have been living my life the way my father saw it , righting wrongs for a ghost, thinking I'm here to do good. Superman was never real, just a dream of a farmer from Kansas."
Perhaps his powers might have meant something in an idealistic world. But only then does he accept that doesn't exist in such a world. He is in the real world.
"My world doesn't exist anymore."- Superman
Briefly, he leaves the city to in search of guidance from his past. And in a scene intentionally reminiscent of Excalibur (1981) [Arthur speaks to an apparition of Merlin] he has a surreal experience, where he receives advice from his memory of his foster father.
He tells him a story of how he saved his farm from flooding by diverting water away. But that admist the celebration they had inadvertently drowned the horses of their neighbours.
This is to highlight the complexity of choice in real life, there's good and bad and the in between. But he tells him to hang on to the good as he did his mother.
From there on, Superman starts his journey to accepting his place, the movie, itself, finally establishing him squarely in the real world. Not a fiction living in Utopia.
"This is my world."

This is just beautiful.

Saw Baby Driver today. Excellent.

You assume Kevin Spacey is the villain, then he goes and
dies trying to save Baby and his girlfriend from the real villain
Jon Hamm.

oh god damn! should not have peaked!
evildead2c.gif

Riiiight.....from Ivanka to Margot.

I dig it.

As a film buff, it only makes the current obsession with the tomato to be more heartbreaking. Maybe Bret Easton Ellis is right, there is no more film culture, but only tomato percentages and box office discussions. Reviews in 140 characters.

Oh, did you enjoy the film? Yeah, but it got awful reviews on rotten tomatoes has become the narrative.

I give a slight nod the the one other person buying criterions at barnes and noble during the sales. We dont gotta say anything to each other, just an acknowledgement of a dying breed.

The theatrical model for movies is, it might not look on a day-by-day basis to be dying, but it is. I do believe that the only movies that are going to be shown theatrically are going to be huge, new budget spectacles. And you’re gonna pay 80 bucks to see them in a giant stadium and you’ll get like a free DVD or whatever. You’ll get a gift or something. And then all the other movies you’ll basically watch on TV or on your computer, download them, or stream them, and that’s really what the theatrical experience is going to be. To an extent, to release a movie anymore, unless you have 70 to 80 million dollars to advertise them, it’s hard to build up awareness. There are always kind of, the indie hit that suggests this is not totally happening, or it’s happening at a much slower rate than I’m suggesting, but I do think it’s where the business will be ultimately heading.

Now that's a movie I'd pay to see.

As a film buff, it only makes the current obsession with the tomato to be more heartbreaking. Maybe Bret Easton Ellis is right, there is no more film culture, but only tomato percentages and box office discussions. Reviews in 140 characters.

Oh, did you enjoy the film? Yeah, but it got awful reviews on rotten tomatoes has become the narrative.

I give a slight nod the the one other person buying criterions at barnes and noble during the sales. We dont gotta say anything to each other, just an acknowledgement of a dying breed.

Thing is there are still more ways to finance, make and distribute films of all kinds, have them be profitable and find an audience today than ever before. All the discourse on film is what's been turned into ****ing Sports Talk Radio, which is a shame but there's more films with more variety out there than ever before.

Folks at Box Office Theory are smart. They are already calling her out for hate speech against Lord Snyder. Who would've thought!

giphy.gif

Sorry, won't talk about it again.

i have never read a review on Rotten Tomatoes, nor do i see myself doing that anytime soon.

Keep on buying Criterions. There are still people fighting at br.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back