Justice League Lounge of Justice - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 79

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny

was just watching The Hunt for Red October (great movie) yesterday and thinking Baldwin would've been the perfect Bruce Wayne.

super excited for this joker movie now

As much as I like JDM, that's just freaking amazing.

But I'm not a fan of this part: "But this being a movie project that will veer off center from the traditional Batman cannon, sources say that the script paints Thomas Wayne as a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump."

Still, it's supposed to be Elseworlds, so might as well feel like Elseworlds.

giphy.gif

Baldwin's schtick is getting old. SNL, Boss Baby, and now this...

You can call it a shtick, I call it being good at playing *****ebags :funny:

But I'm not a fan of this part: "But this being a movie project that will veer off center from the traditional Batman cannon, sources say that the script paints Thomas Wayne as a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump."

I think I read somewhere else (Revenge of the Fans maybe) that said description is owed to the skewed/distorted lens through which Phoenix's Joker views Thomas.

I think I read somewhere else (Revenge of the Fans maybe) that said description is owed to the skewed/distorted lens through which Phoenix's Joker views Thomas.

That would make sense and be very interesting.

A film built entirely on the premise of an unreliable pov/narrator in Joker, would be incredibly unique for the genre. As much as I like the Elseworlds attempt, this is a more interesting direction. They can play both sides of the canon and not be beholden to either.

That would make sense and be very interesting.

Yeah, it actually reminds me of how Elliot sees E Corp as "Evil Corp" on Mr. Robot. Since the narrative is shown from his unique perspective, we [the audience] see it that way in turn.

A film built entirely on the premise of an unreliable pov/narrator in Joker, would be incredibly unique for the genre. As much as I like the Elseworlds attempt, this is a more interesting direction. They can play both sides of the canon and not be beholden to either.

:up:

lol Alec just gonna play Trump?

Thomas Wayne hosting his own TV show The Apprentice in the 1980s

So Joker is a Clinton supporter? :oldrazz:

This sounds horrendous.

I will say this. If the aforementioned Thomas description is, in fact, meant to be taken literally (and not something born of Joker's fevered psychosis), I do hope the filmmakers know what they're doing. What I mean to say is that if this new approach to Thomas draws from someone like Trump, it would be almost antithetical to, at the same time, portray him as an East Coast "old money" type. Why? Because new money folks like Trump, with their flashy cars and such, are generally frowned upon by the former.

Last edited:
That's actually one of the things I liked about the Bruce Wayne we got in BvS, his refined "old money" taste.

3488-1532336916.jpg

Collider says Viggo Mortensen turned down the role of Thomas Wayne. Shame, I think that casting would’ve been a lot better.

I will say this. If the aforementioned Thomas description is, in fact, meant to be taken literally (and not something born of Joker's fevered psychosis), I do hope the filmmakers know what they're doing. What I mean to say is that if this new approach to Thomas draws from someone like Trump, it would be almost antithetical to, at the same time, portray him as an East Coast "old money" type. Why? Because new money folks like Trump, with their flashy cars and such, are generally frowned upon by the former.

Under any other circumstances I wouldn't want to see any parallels between Batman's father and Donald Trump. However this is purposely meant to be different and out of the ordinary, so I'm willing to see what it's all about. 30 years ago some DC editor could've easily told Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola that it's ridiculous to have a Victorian era Gotham City and we wouldn't have Gotham by Gaslight or Kingdom Come or All-Star Superman, or any revered Elseworlds story.

My concern is more about how the GA would react to something like that. Regular moviegoers likely have no clue about the Multiverse and while it's not exactly a difficult concept to grasp, the idea of Batman's father sharing similarities with Donald Trump in this version could seem utterly preposterous to some people. lol I guess I'm just hoping the audience is more open-minded, you know.

Under any other circumstances I wouldn't want to see any parallels between Batman's father and Donald Trump. However this is purposely meant to be different and out of the ordinary, so I'm willing to see what it's all about. 30 years ago some DC editor could've easily told Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola that it's ridiculous to have a Victorian era Gotham City and we wouldn't have Gotham by Gaslight or Kingdom Come or All-Star Superman, or any revered Elseworlds story.

My concern is more about how the GA would react to something like that. Regular moviegoers likely have no clue about the Multiverse and while it's not exactly a difficult concept to grasp, the idea of Batman's father sharing similarities with Donald Trump in this version could seem utterly preposterous to some people. lol I guess I'm just hoping the audience is more open-minded, you know.

It's not so much that I mind certain parallels between the two in this particular instance, Kal. I understand and can certainly appreciate that said film is meant to be more in the vein of non-canonical stories like the ones you mentioned.

What I do expect from the filmmakers, however, is a certain degree of authenticity in reimagining the character, which was my point. If you're going to write Thomas as "cheesy and tanned", it's important (at least to me) that you make it clear he's not from the upper echelons of East Coast society, the latter of which is how the Waynes are traditionally portrayed in contemporary fiction. Trump is "nouveau riche" or new money, mind you, and his showy demeanor reflects that. So, again, if this nascent iteration of Thomas is loosely based on him, I'd rather he not be described as having descended from old American aristocracy.

Gonna watch First Reformed today. **** yeah.

Also I'm gonna trust you and give Black Panther a whirl. What's the worst that can happen :o

Best case you check out the directors other films in Fruitvale Station and Creed.

Worst case you're officially done with the MCU outside of Avengers 4.

Hoping for the best. :woot:

Edit: I also recommend Ethan Hawke's film The Woman in the 5th.

To be fair the Joker could be just catching Thomas Wayne having One Bad Day.

I'm glad Hold the Dark is apparently good. It's the one I'm most looking forward to of the upcoming Netflix flicks.

Last edited:
Alec Baldwin in the Joker movie?

jMed71Z.gif

Count me in. Oh and Cyberpunk 2077's gameplay just made my night. :hmr:

So he's both Batman and Lex Luthor, with a touch of Yosemite Sam added to the mix.

:awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"