Justice League Lounge of Justice - Part 85

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Superman_

Man Of Steel
Reaction score
Continuation of Part 84.

Just getting it started now. I will add the link to the old thread once it is closed.

You could have waited for page 100 at least. :D

Other people: *listen to Last Christmas*
Harle: *listens to this*

6f2a6bfff9fe435826909a4ccaf5f0aa.gif

@ArmsHeldOut, I've watched the trailers for Deadly Class and I'm most certainly in!! Sadly the versions I've found online are not the best possible quality and I'm kind of a stickler for HD, so I'm gonna have to wait with it...

Luckily, it's only a couple of weeks, aight??

Watching Batman Returns now because it's Xmas.

giphy.gif

BTDubz, it has always been on my playlist and I have listened to it many times before but I'm playing I'm Alive by Disturbed on a constant loop all day in full volume. I seemingly just can't stop.

My Disturbed loop in recent memory has been this one. #thetimebombisticking

@ArmsHeldOut, I've watched the trailers for Deadly Class and I'm most certainly in!! Sadly the versions I've found online are not the best possible quality and I'm kind of a stickler for HD, so I'm gonna have to wait with it...

Luckily, it's only a couple of weeks, aight??

Yeah, it officially drops on Jan 16. So, not too long from now. Glad to have you on board!

Batman Returns

I'm so glad to revisit this movie now, after so many years at this point in my life. First I gotta say that the movie deserves much more credit that I've given to for many years, it's definitely a work of art and one of the most interesting pieces in the genre, particularly if you were to extrapolate to modern genre sensitivities.

I'm so glad personally that I've long gotten over the needless and pointless fanboy attitudes of "the new replaces the old" and "bring one down to elevate the other" and that I can enjoy so many different takes (just like in the comics, go figure) of whom until recently was my favorite CB character; Keaton, Kilmer, Bale, Affleck, all different takes and all "faithful" to the source material in their own different way, and this particular dark fantasy take of Burton is something truly special, delivering very emotionally striking points on the themes of duality/identity found in, again, the source material. Due to the very twisted nature of Burton's presentation of the world, you accept the most illogical parts of this fantasy presented to you (and I swear I have a problem with none of those, except with one simple thing: Where the hell did the Penguin's gang get the schematics of the Batmobile??! Does it annoy me?? To no end. Is it important?? Not in the slightest.) and thanks to, I guess, me maturing as a person and a fan, I couldn't care less than an airborne copulation about "canon" of "fidelity" to a particular or widely accepted "canonical" version of these characters; so give me that mutated Penguin, seemingly immortal Catwoman and shortie, physically unimposing psychotic Batman, I'll take it!!

I definitely have stronger feelings towards this movie than I've had for many years, and I actually find it now way more interesting than Batman '89 (although now I feel the need to revisit that one too), not to mention that it's just endless eye-candy, with stunning cinematography, some really remarkable imagery, excellent performances (specially the goddess Michelle Pfeiffer, who has the best performance and most interesting character in the movie) and a very interesting study of the psychology of identity, duality and masks. Also, I love any Batman story that points out that Batman can be quite a bit of a hypocrite sometimes ("It's no big deal if I kill, but you shouldn't!!!"). AND it made me go and look into German expressionism, so thank you Tim Burton!! :D

Also, I'll bet my left nut that if this movie, as it is, was made nowadays in the current CBM environment, it'd be torn to shreds and have like a 10% RT score.

Last edited:
I have felt for years Batman Returns was an underrated film. Of the live action Batman films, it is probably my 2nd favorite.

Hell yeah it is, innuendo left and right! :D

Also, the 3 main characters approach to sexuality is vastly different and inform their characters immensely: Batman is disarmed and caught off-guard by it (voluntarily repressed), Penguin is desperate and easily distracted by it (involuntarily denied) and Catwoman is born again through it and exploiting it (bursting sense of identity found through it). The movie is so much more layered than I gave credit to before.

I have the power to control the number of posts I see. Will never reach page 100!
I forgot that ability.

The last thread was 231 pages for me

giphy.webp

Same here.
Page 94 for me.

I'm so glad personally that I've long gotten over the needless and pointless fanboy attitude to "the new replaces the old" and "bring one down to elevate the other" and that I can enjoy so many different takes (just like in the comics, go figure) of whom until recently was my favorite CB character; Keaton, Kilmer, Bale, Affleck, all different takes and all "faithful" to the source material in their own different way
This list's lack of Clooney is disturbing.

I definitely really loved Kilmer's Bruce.
So do I. He used to be my favorite as a kid (from that particular chronology, of course) and I think, performance-wise, he was just as good as Keaton...he just happened to be out of tune with the movie he was in.

Pfeiffer's Catwoman is epic. I always felt that in some ways Batman Forever followed suit, since Chase at times feels more like Selina Kyle than an actual original character. It's like Schumacher saw Burton's Catwoman and decided that his female lead should be a sultry femme fatale as well. The fact that she was a psychiatrist who always brought up the concept of duality made it even more on the nose for me. Now it got me thinking what could've been like had Nicole actually played Selina instead. Since Kilmer played who was supposed to be Keaton's Batman, I wonder what would've been like if Kidman took over the Catwoman role from Pfeiffer. Would she have been as unfavorably compared to Pfeiffer as Kilmer was to Keaton. Maybe the fact that she played a new character was part of the reason she turned out to be so memorable in an otherwise bad movie.

Pfeiffer's Catwoman is epic. I always felt that in some ways Batman Forever followed suit, since Chase at times feels more like Selina Kyle than an actual original character. It's like Schumacher saw Burton's Catwoman and decided that his female lead should be a sultry femme fatale as well. The fact that she was a psychiatrist who always brought up the concept of duality made it even more on the nose for me. Now it got me thinking what could've been like had Nicole actually played Selina instead. Since Kilmer played who was supposed to be Keaton's Batman, I wonder what would've been like if Kidman took over the Catwoman role from Pfeiffer. Would she have been as unfavorably compared to Pfeiffer as Kilmer was to Keaton. Maybe the fact that she played a new character was part of the reason she turned out to be so memorable in an otherwise bad movie.
Chase makes Selina's relationship to Bruce feel organic in comparison.

Eh. I think you could make the argument that Chase was a much better written character if not as immediately compelling, and that she was woven into the story in a considerably more complex way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"