Lounge of Justice - Part 90

Only watched a few minutes of RLM review of Malignant. Man, they caught the same thing I did. They looked up the csi actress and saw the Wan connection and they both nodded as it all made sense.

I can't help but chuckle at 'The Batman' getting 2 spinoffs before even coming out meanwhile bonafide hits like WW and Aquaman get their theirs canceled or stalled

After WW84 probably best they just focus on WW3.

If AQ2 does well I'm sure something will come off it but Wan has been kind of busy and the budget would be kind of high for a series like that with likely no Momoa. GCPD and Penguin won't cost anything and don't need Pattinson to sell them...

I can't help but chuckle at 'The Batman' getting 2 spinoffs before even coming out meanwhile bonafide hits like WW and Aquaman get their theirs canceled or stalled
Anything Batman related always gets the green light. I have learned that.

Well if you ran a studio isn't that what you would do? Batman, even in bad films, makes money and these days there is never not some creative director who doesn't want to try him out.

As a lifelong Superman fan that irks me...but if it was up to me and my job depended on it I take the sure thing too.

But there is plenty that has been green lit that has nothing to do with Batman.

The project is meant to be a smaller-scale feature film for Nolan, which in his case, meant a production budget of around $100 million and an equal marketing spend, according to sources. He asked for total creative control, 20 percent of first dollar gross, a blackout period from the studio wherein the company would not release another movie three weeks before and three weeks after his release. And he asked for what insiders say was around a 100-day theatrical window. (Some sources have said the number was 110 days, with one person saying it was 130 days.) These were, in fact, many of the conditions Nolan was accustomed to enjoying at Warners.

Paramount was out of the mix early. The surprise executive shake-up late last week that saw Gianopulos — also a booster of the theatrical experience — exit the venerable studio to be replaced by eye-on-the-streaming prize Brian Robbins, nixed it as a contender.

Apple was ready to commit to a theatrical window but nowhere near what the filmmaker wanted.
Christopher Nolan’s New Film: Behind His Pitch to Studios (Including Apple) – The Hollywood Reporter

I respect the man for having the clout to push that through. Because damn 6 weeks of no other releases and a guaranteed 100 day theatrical window is not something a lot of studios would commit to anymore in this climate.

Last edited:
Between the GCPD series and the Penguin series, it feels like WB is trying to make Gotham happen again via spinoffs. Figure this will work a lot better though.

Reactions: MbJ
Well if you ran a studio isn't that what you would do? Batman, even in bad films, makes money and these days there is never not some creative director who doesn't want to try him out.

As a lifelong Superman fan that irks me...but if it was up to me and my job depended on it I take the sure thing too.

But there is plenty that has been green lit that has nothing to do with Batman.
Agreed I'm just pissed because DC has so many properties that could work yet they make everything about Batman. The first Flash movie should be about the Flash not focus on Flash and Batman. Titans has become Nightwing for better or worse and the list could go on. They really be focusing on so many of the other heroes then just the Gotham ones. But as you said Batman makes money and they are determined to bleed that well dry.

I don't agree eith the idea they Batman movies automatically make money. Before Nolan came alone, that wasn't considered to be the case. The Keaton movies did well of course, but nothing Earth shattering in terms of box office. Even BB didn't do gangbusters (to my surprise at the time). It wasn't until TDK and then the finale that Batman made over a billion. The next 2 films with Batman in it were considered disappointments.

I don't agree eith the idea they Batman movies automatically make money. Before Nolan came alone, that wasn't considered to be the case. The Keaton movies did well of course, but nothing Earth shattering in terms of box office. Even BB didn't do gangbusters (to my surprise at the time). It wasn't until TDK and then the finale that Batman made over a billion. The next 2 films with Batman in it were considered disappointments.
Disagree, B:TAS was making money, they Batman toys from the show were making money, the video games were making money, JL was because of that show and even B&R made some money given how bad it was. So regardless he does make money. I can admit that I am just tired of Batman and all Batman related stuff personally when the only Superman stuff we usually get is evil Superman and I feel worse (meaning even more sorry)for the fans of the other properties of DC. I mean look at Arrow they just made him Batman with a Bow.

They don't have to make a billion to make money.

Disagree, B:TAS was making money, they Batman toys from the show were making money, the video games were making money, JL was because of that show and even B&R made some money given how bad it was. So regardless he does make money. I can admit that I am just tired of Batman and all Batman related stuff personally when the only Superman stuff we usually get is evil Superman and I feel worse (meaning even more sorry)for the fans of the other properties of DC. I mean look at Arrow they just made him Batman with a Bow.

The Timm Batman show was incredibly well done, though. There have been Batman cartoons after that that didn't do as well. Same with the games. Rocksteady made incredible games, but there are Batman games that tanked.

Of course Batman is incredibly valuable to WB, but Batman in and of itself is not automatically going to make them a ton of money. It's the combination of Batman and quality that has made WB money. You could argue Batman is an easier character to write compelling stories for, live action or cartoon, as well for video games, as compared to other DC characters. That I would agree with.

Keira Knightley

I don't consider her to be a bad actress at all, but she is just bloody boring to watch.

Definitely. Even when his movies flopped (Batman & Robin) or underperformed (Batman Begins) WB/DC never shied away from pumping out Bat content

It's no wonder newer generations are growing up to be Marvel and Batman fans exclusively

They are growing up to be Marvel fans for the same reason they are Di$ney fans...oversaturating the market with cookie cutter movies. They have been doing that since the 50s and it works tremendously. Worked well with WB cartoons too...

Comics in general treats Batman on a different level. When I worked at the shop I got very into reading the sales charts and the analysis of them from experts. Most analysis was pinged using Batman (not Detective) as the standard bearer because, post Hush, Batman had the most predictable sales month to month and it was crazily consistent even when everything else was crashing. Batman was rarely #1 (it was usually the #1 or #2 non-event/non-teamup comic) but its sales were always what you could judge the overall market by.

Batman/Batfamily has a very loyal and strong fanbase especially post Hush. (Didio has literally said Hush/putting Lee on Batman saved DC comics as it, along with Marvel were bleeding sales even worse than today) They are maybe the most loyal of all fanbases. Every other comic from the majors has had missteps damned near destroy it. Even the most hated Batman story sells. It is kind of crazy. Even Spidey doesn't warrant that kind of love. (twice in my time at the store Marvel killed Spidey sales both at our store and overall...when Spidey went to "3 times a month" and One More Day and of course before my time collecting The Clone Saga was an epic disaster) With as volatile as comics are, Batman is really one of the few characters/comics the market can count on.

As for movies...other characters need someone who has a passion for the project and a vision. Wan had an idea for Aquaman and it worked. Patty had a vision and love of Wonder Woman and it worked. (50% of the time ;) ) Shazam...same deal. Time will tell on the newest stuff coming down the pike. A strong Bat Universe will help that way more than it should, even if they aren't crossing over or in the same universe. If the Batman related on content on HBO Max does well, it will help all the rest of the shows and will help greenlight more expansion within other franchises.

I am going to catch flack for the first comment in my post but I said it that way for a reason:

Thatis gonna upset some people ;)

The cast they got on this Batman audio drama is low key making me wanna give it a try. Crazy.

The cast they got on this Batman audio drama is low key making me wanna give it a try. Crazy.

i-might-need-it-demand.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"