Love Interest for Captain America II

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Blackman, May 9, 2012.

?

Love interest for Cap

1. Sharon Carter

2. Wasp

3. Other

4. Sharon Carter

5. Wasp

6. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

How the hell did the waitress even have time to be annoying? She was onscreen for two minutes, max, said a handful of lines and never interacted with the main characters.

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

If it is in fact VanCamp notice how she was not in any of the groups in the running before.

Yet again I believe those names get floated out there by agents and talent managers to build interest in their clients.

3. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I'm sure it's standard business practice.
    On that note, what surprises me is the utter lack of rumor or buzz surrounding people who eventually land these roles in Marvel films --- RDJ, the Chrises (all THREE of them now), Vancamp, Ruffalo, just to name a few....

....It looks like *their* agents would be pretty proud of them auditioning (not to mention landing) these major roles. I'm thinking Marvel actually puts the quietus to their agents when they get the part. In other words, anyone who's actually *rumored* to be in a role is almost 99% likely NOT to be Marvel's pick for any given role. :oldrazz:

4. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

Who?
    :huh:

"Worthy"? The contract is in Marvel's favor. EVC has to honor it, Marvel don't. Atwell also signed a multi-picture deal and she isn't being asked back.

Also, why wouldn't Captain America's Lois Lane be expected to return?

Carol is a far, far better fit in GOTG.

Why place her in a movie where she has no real connections to the mythos in question? She's never been one of Steve's love interests.

CATWS is introducing a new superhero (, and showcasing another established one (Natasha). Neither IM3 nor TTDW are doing either. CATWS is doing more than its share for the larger Marvel universe.

5. Ksb36

Ksb36 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting thought. I had to look up Diamondback, because I wasn't very familiar with her. She DOES have ties to Crossbones, though.

All these press items just refer to her as the "love interest", but so far, there's been no confirmation that she's actually Sharon. Why haven't we heard any confirmation of the specific character she's playing?

6. DarthMuppet

DarthMuppet Lord John Whorfin

...because Marvel hasn't released an official press statement yet. Nothing is being kept secret, they just haven't "officially" confirmed anything yet. Studios are like that... They have their own time table for when they want to release information and it rarely makes sense to us. I expect her character's name to be included in the press release when it comes out. Probably soon.

7. DarthMuppet

DarthMuppet Lord John Whorfin

If she can bring even half this much personality to CA:TWS, then I think we're in for a treat(not to mention she looks absolutely stunning here):

[YT]zuvaGrto4L4[/YT]

8. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

I'm easily annoyed, that's how.

9. cherokeesam

Chris Hemsworth. Kat Dennings. Emily VanCamp. Chris Pratt. Sebastian Stan. Cobie Smulders. Tom Hiddleston.

Agreed on all counts. Again, I'm 99% sure that "Love Interest" is Sharon Carter. But I'm looking at options for the 1%, and there's not a whole lot of characters that would make sense there for Vancamp to play outside of Agent 13.

10. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

Your life must be hard.

11. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Tragically. Weep for me ;)

12. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Well, IM3 has speculation that it's introducing Wasp. Not that I believe it.

13. BullMcGiveny

Yeah, I don't buy that one bit.

It's a fandom phenomenon, though. Whenever a a young actress is cast in a comic book movie, the speculation will fly around on which important superheroine she'll be playing.

In 2010 it was Kate Mara as Bethany Cabe and Olivia Munn as the Wasp.

14. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

What I hate is that people think it's official. I've had a friend telling me she's in it (he doesn't even read the comics :o), and it was difficult to explain that wasn't the case.

15. M-2

M-2 Ultimate BAMF

LoL thats the worst... especially if they read one article that is written to some pretentious smug who just googled the actress and Avengers characters and then proceeds on making this ridiculous assumptions.Its like your friends just latch onto that as if its the WORD OF GOD! Trying to convince them otherwise is certainly tiresome.

16. 04nbod

04nbod I need to debrief you

Jane wasn't damselled once in Thor, I worry about Thor 2 though. Also, being an everywoman character doesn't make the character bad, just like giving a character a gun or a sword doesn't make one good.

Avengers was the biggest non-Cameron film ever. I doubt Van Camp was the highest calibre actress knocking on their door. Perhaps they are sacrificing something for an actress' availability.

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Shield of the True North

Perhaps they thought she was right for the part.

18. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that. Have you seen Revenge? She's an amazing actress, and it's easily seen why she was picked for Sharon, if that is the role.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  19. xeno000

The sad thing is that, looking back over Captain America's comic book history, he hasn't had a really great romance. The relationship between Steve and Peggy in CA: TFA was so much more real and interesting than any he ever had in his book. Steve and Sharon's relationship was always fairly sterile and passionless. The thing with Diamondback was ridiculous and best forgotten. (If Steve is attracted to a bad girl in the MCU, make it the frighteningly sexy Madame Hydra, please.) The best relationship Steve ever had, in terms of realism, was with Bernie, so of course they broke up when it got too serious.

Strangely enough, Steve's most complex and interesting relationships have been with his two best friends, Tony and Sam. Well, maybe that's not so strange since comics are a male-oriented medium. Male bonding just seems to be more natural in comics than love affairs.

I almost wish that the film universe would diverge from the comics in this instance and create an entirely fresh love interest for Steve. At the very least, the writers should try to make Sharon a more interesting, engaging person than she is in the comics.

20. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

I think that's exactly what they'll do based on what they did with Peggy.

21. cherokeesam

Maybe Sharon works from a revenge motive in this movie. Not to be *too* literal here, but it very would could be the way Vancamp plays a vengeful woman on TV that attracted them to her.

22. BullMcGiveny

In the Winter Soldier storyarc, she does take an interest in the Winter Soldier because she wants to avenge her ex-boyfriend that Bucky blew up.

23. xeno000

So they took a character who has been around for almost fifty years and rewrote her history to give her a never-before-mentioned boyfriend whose death was so traumatic that she neglected to mention or even think about him for decades, but then suddenly felt the need to avenge him? :whatever:

24. BullMcGiveny

Well, no.

Steve and Sharon were broken up for years when Ed Brubaker started writing the book. She hadn't even been part of the book's supporting cast for some time.

Brubaker reintroduced Sharon as Steve's SHIELD liaison, but they were ex's. This story arc featured the debut of the Winter Soldier, who blows up Oklahoma, killing a SHIELD Agent that Sharon had recently dated and broken up with.

25. Norrin Parker

Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

Beat me to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.