First Avenger Love Interest?

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
Pretty much every comic book movie has the hero having a love interest, and I don't know if Cap had one during his early days but do you think that he will (or should) have one in the movie?

Captain America's love interest?

The American way! ;)

yea gail from what i recall was his sweetheart before we became cap right. Sharon is later in present day right.

Gail in his solo film and Sharon in The Avengers.

Peggy Carter in first film, Sharon Carter from then on

Agreed. In fact, I'd say avoid a love interest for the first film. Maybe introduce one pre-war, but other than that, focus on WWII.

I'd prefer that they picked just one of them. Sure, there are plausible explanations that could be used to make the two Carters in Cap's life less of a coincidence (Sharon joined SHIELD because she was inspired by Peggy's work during WWII, Fury knows about Sharon's connection to Cap and therefore assigns her to work with him in order to give him some connection to his past etc). But it still feels kind of silly to me. Especially since we've already seen something similar in Austin Powers. Not to mention that it would be rather tacky of Steve to work his way through the Carter family like that.

In fact, I'd say avoid a love interest for the first film. Maybe introduce one pre-war, but other than that, focus on WWII.
I like that. Steve has a girl back home that he has to leave behind to fight for his country. That way the romance doesn't distract from the main story in the first movie, but audience will nonetheless feel Steve's loss in the sequel when he has woken to a strange new World where people he cared about are either dead or decades older.

Agreed. In fact, I'd say avoid a love interest for the first film. Maybe introduce one pre-war, but other than that, focus on WWII.

Agreed, avoid/downplay the love interest in the first film. I'd be happy if they went the Ultimates route. They can have have Steve engaged to marry Gail, whom they show him meeting during his pre-serum days, and he can carry her picture around with him while he's overseas fighting. But that's it.

But, unfortunately, love interests come standard with all blockbuster movies these days, and the studios love to put them front and center regardless of whether or not they fit into the overall scheme of things. Knowing the studios Steve's going to fall in love with the French resistance fighter, Peggy Carter, and spend half the movie swooning over her, and the other half rescuing her whenever she enters "Damsel in Distress" mode, all this despite the fact he's supposed to be too busy kicking Nazi butt for downtime!! Knowing the studios a girl will be the "friend" Joe Johnston says Steve's going to go AWOL to save. And if they put both women in there just to create a pointless love triangle......:cmad::cmad::cmad:

Here's to hoping the romance doesn't reach Peter Parker/Mary Jane levels, and just hovers around Tony Stark/Pepper Potts levels.

Last edited:
i rather do the gail ultimates way. if you dont want her to be a major part of film.

I imagine there'll be a push to include at least one woman in the movie, because it's generally looked askance not to at least include a token. If you want a "remote" love interest, then Gail from Ultimates would make sense; Peggy is if you want somebody more in the action (and if you're planning to use Sharon in potential sequels, and she's by far the most likely love interest in the present, then that symmetry would appeal to writers).

But Gail only in WW2 not present like in The Ultimates. She was married to Bucky, uugh.

well we still dont know what they have in store for bucky. i would rather leave it presume he died in ww2 with cap so then they could have it open for him being the winter solider in the future.

I like that. Steve has a girl back home that he has to leave behind to fight for his country. That way the romance doesn't distract from the main story in the first movie, but audience will nonetheless feel Steve's loss in the sequel when he has woken to a strange new World where people he cared about are either dead or decades older.

And at the end, after he is lost and frozen, we can get a nice poignant scene where she gets the word that Steve is gone. Would make for a nice set-up for the tragedy of Cap's character.

I'd prefer that they picked just one of them. Sure, there are plausible explanations that could be used to make the two Carters in Cap's life less of a coincidence (Sharon joined SHIELD because she was inspired by Peggy's work during WWII, Fury knows about Sharon's connection to Cap and therefore assigns her to work with him in order to give him some connection to his past etc). But it still feels kind of silly to me. Especially since we've already seen something similar in Austin Powers. Not to mention that it would be rather tacky of Steve to work his way through the Carter family like that.
Thats not tacky for Steve do that at all. If the 2 Carters were sisters then I would say yeah but not if Sharon is a granddaughter, niece, etc.
Its alot less tacky of Gail marrying Bucky

And besides Peggy and Sharon actually fight unlike Gail who would just be at home

Thats not tacky for Steve do that at all. If the 2 Carters were sisters then I would say yeah but not if Sharon is a granddaughter, niece, etc.
So, dating several women from one family is okay as long as you keep updating to a newer, prettier model? :cwink:

Anyway, that's not even my main concern. I'm more troubled by the coincidence of Cap running into, and falling in love with a fairly close relative of his first love after almost 70 years. That strikes me as the kind of silly, convoluted plot-twist that comics are sometimes guilty of, but shouldn't be encouraged in the movie adaptations. Of course, sometimes that sort of thing can't be avoided. For examble, I was fine with Peter Parker's flat mate's father being the main villain, since Norman Osborn is a significant character in Spidey-comics and the connection between Pete and Norman was actually interesting. But does Peggy Carter really have a huge fan-base that would be sorely disappointed if their favorite isn't in the movie?

And besides Peggy and Sharon actually fight unlike Gail who would just be at home
I don't know if the first movie really needs a love-interest that's involved in the action. Not to mention that there's no reason they couldn't give Gail a more active role. Or for that matter, keep Peggy but give her a different surname and thus avoid the unlikely Carter family connection and its questionable similarities to a sub-plot from "Austin Powers".

I know little about Cap, but please avoid a love interest. It's become too standard in superhero movies, even Iron Man has one and he's supposed to be alone his whole life, with the exception of all the hot young ladies around him at all times. The Incredible Hulk actually made sense, because the Betty/Bruce relationship was a big dynamic of the comics and they didn't overplay it like in Spider-Man. But developing and spending time on a love interest when Cap is gonna get frozen at the end anyway seems pretty pointless to me.

So, dating several women from one family is okay as long as you keep updating to a newer, prettier model? :cwink:

Anyway, that's not even my main concern. I'm more troubled by the coincidence of Cap running into, and falling in love with a fairly close relative of his first love after almost 70 years. That strikes me as the kind of silly, convoluted plot-twist that comics are sometimes guilty of, but shouldn't be encouraged in the movie adaptations. Of course, sometimes that sort of thing can't be avoided. For examble, I was fine with Peter Parker's flat mate's father being the main villain, since Norman Osborn is a significant character in Spidey-comics and the connection between Pete and Norman was actually interesting. But does Peggy Carter really have a huge fan-base that would be sorely disappointed if their favorite isn't in the movie?

I don't know if the first movie really needs a love-interest that's involved in the action. Not to mention that there's no reason they couldn't give Gail a more active role. Or for that matter, keep Peggy but give her a different surname and thus avoid the unlikely Carter family connection and its questionable similarities to a sub-plot from "Austin Powers".
hes dating 2 women in the family, one who is probaly long dead or very old by the time Cap even meets the other...it's not that bad

Personally, I kind of want it to be Black Widow..

hes dating 2 women in the family, one who is probaly long dead or very old by the time Cap even meets the other...it's not that bad
It is cheese incarnate. This sub-plot desperately needs to stay away from this movie.

Wait, didn't they do that in the 90's Cap? He came back to find out she was old but her daughter was delicious.

Personally, I kind of want it to be Black Widow..

Is there any comic precedent for that? If there is, I still think it'll be kinda difficult given Black Widows supposed role in Iron Man 2. She'll be seen as a total **** if she goes for Iron Man and then Captain America.....and maybe Hawkeye somewhere in between....

It is cheese incarnate. This sub-plot desperately needs to stay away from this movie.

Seconded. The icing on the cheesecake would be if they cast the same woman for both Peggy Carter and Sharon Carter like they did with Mrs. Kensington and Vanessa Kensington in Austin Powers. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"