The Defenders Luke's lawyer

dmcreif

Civilian
Reaction score
I think a lot of us probably were thinking that Claire was talking about Matt when during Luke Cage she talked to Luke about knowing a good lawyer friend who could help him with his legal troubles, and then the opening to The Defenders revealed she was actually talking about Foggy.
I don't know if anyone else sometimes feels like it was a bait-and-switch on the writers' part. The way Claire talked in Luke Cage, it definitely felt like she was talking about Matt when she said she knew a good lawyer, given Claire's past association with Matt. While good points can be made for why Claire picked Foggy instead of Matt (like "Claire never saw Matt in action as a lawyer, how would she know he's a great attorney?" or "Having Foggy defend Luke sets him up to come back around to reestablishing his friendship with Matt in the next season of Daredevil"), I think that it would've been been better for the show if Matt had been Luke's lawyer, because it would've given Matt and Luke a chance to have some character bonding.

I was fairly certain Foggy was going to be his lawyer, the end of Daredevil season 2 Hogarth basically said she wanted to get into defense for "unique" cases. And defending local hero Luke Cage is the kind of publicity a law firm could use. I personally preferred how it played out, with each defender pairing off before all meeting. Having more of them meet beforehand can ruin the build up to the end of episode 3

I was fairly certain Foggy was going to be his lawyer, the end of Daredevil season 2 Hogarth basically said she wanted to get into defense for "unique" cases. And defending local hero Luke Cage is the kind of publicity a law firm could use. I personally preferred how it played out, with each defender pairing off before all meeting. Having more of them meet beforehand can ruin the build up to the end of episode 3

That's what I thought too. Having Matt be Luke's lawyer would've made the team-up things a bit more complicated.

Of course, Matt and Luke also have a bit of history in the comics. I believe Luke actually did bodyguard work for Nelson & Murdock a few times, or was that Jessica?

Is there really a need to create a thread each time for these musings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"