M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS

As a father with a son that scene at the end calling back to unbreakable with him and the boy really got me out of nowhere

I'm not a father (yet), but yup... I was already on the verge of crying, but that's when I cracked...

So, S-Universe Earth, movie 4. They gonna appear? :cwink:

Celestial_4th_host.jpg

It was clunky in places and uneven from a pacing standpoint. The "eye of the beholder dialogue" feels clunky, but it was also akwardly inserted into UNBREAKABLE.

GLASS sways tonally into almost B movie territory in the middle of the second act, but I think that's a misdirect designed to lure us into complacency and make us forget that "real life isn't like a comic book" before the twist/resolution.

The film isn't executed consistently, but I thought the actual exploration of the relevant concepts was solid, and the performances were generally very good. The idea that people have posited that the eventual twist changes the focus and theme of the film doesn't gel with me. The entire main narrative of the film is about society's reaction to people who are different. They're revered as curiosities, but also doubted, feared, and ultimately, society tries to control them. Half the movie takes place in a mental hospital, after all. The movie isn't a classic morality tale, but neither was UNBREAKABLE.

I did like M Night's third act resolution and dig at the "broader universe" concept. I also liked the way the film showed relatively mundane superhero feats as something that we should consider incredible, what with the awkward fights and intimate action sequences. Also all the purple.

I refuse to see it. I had heard rumors about the ending, but once My daughter saw it and confirmed it, I was done.
Sorry, that may be close minded but david is my favorite character from one of my favorite films.
I won't watch this because of that.

I really like how he chose to film action in this movie. An old dude and a rage man aren't going to fight with the finesse and balance of an expert martial artist. It also helps in it's depiction of strength as urgent, powerful, and dangerous.

Guess after Serenity came out last week, y'all can be nicer to Glass's twist, huh? At least THAT twist made SENSE!

I really like how he chose to film action in this movie. An old dude and a rage man aren't going to fight with the finesse and balance of an expert martial artist. It also helps in it's depiction of strength as urgent, powerful, and dangerous.

I saw people bashing the film for its action because of how clunky it was compared to a marvel film. I liked this approach more because it lended itself to a more real feel. If its too choreographed then it feels fake

He has a knack for portraying things that in another superhero movie would be nothing, but here seem powerful and epic. I'm thinking specifically of the scene towards the end of David pushing the Swat team back into the storage container.

I saw this on Friday and been grappling with my thoughts on it since. I loved 70% of it, and I mean loved. The first encounter between David and The Beast was pretty much everything I had hoped for since Split. Despite all of the grappling, I loved the way the fight was filmed and the way it ended with them running toward each other before being interrupted I just loved. I really liked the 2nd act also, but I found David doubting his abilities after using them on a nightly basis for 19 years hard to believe.

The 3rd act was unfortunately a let down, and the 30% I didn’t like I pretty much hated. I did like the resolution of Glass’s plan and how it played out, but the secret society thing was just plain dumb, and I didn’t like it at all. I found Kevin and David’s deaths underwhelming also, despite spoiling myself on them, I was hoping I would like them in execution more, I didn’t. I also thought the final fight was a little underwhelming after the previous build up, like movie itself, it had great moments mixed with stupid ones.

It’s a bit of a shame as this could have been an amazing trilogy, but I remember saying when this was announced that I would have preferred Shyamalan do a different movie in between and take a little more time with this one, And I stand by it, as parts of the movie felt rushed, especially towards the end.

I will say though I liked all of the cast, with McAvoy and Jackson really standing out, and did like how most of the action was filmed, but overall I can’t help but feel a little disappointed in the final product. 6.5/10, and the worst movie in the trilogy for me.

I don't think it will make as much as Split did WW though, which may disappoint them a little as that was even lower budget.

Maybe a slight disappointment, but the budget was still only $20 mil. It's doing well regardless.

Maybe a slight disappointment, but the budget was still only $20 mil. It's doing well regardless.

Oh definitely, they will still be happy, I think the movie being a slight disappointment is leading to poorer legs than Split though.

Considering though that it’s a superhero sequel to two films, under 50% drops are pretty great for a film as divisive as this.

Shyamalan must be pretty happy with the box office since he self-financed the film.

It's a shame the reception hasn't been positive, but I will reserve judgement until I see the film. But I won't deny that my enthusiasm has been tempered somewhat by the RT score.

But its BO prospects do look good!

Okay, this is perhaps a nitpick. But. . . why would anyone hope for "the reception to be positive" rather than "the movie to be good"? It does no good for anyone for a movie to be 'received positively' if it doesn't have the quality to back that up.

Eh, it had some quality, but the more time goes on the more I hate how the ending came together.

Okay, this is perhaps a nitpick. But. . . why would anyone hope for "the reception to be positive" rather than "the movie to be good"? It does no good for anyone for a movie to be 'received positively' if it doesn't have the quality to back that up.

I was simply trying to say - quality of the film may not be what I hoped for due to the poor reception, but I wasn't going to judge until I see it for myself (which hasn't happened yet).

Hope that clarifies my earlier post.

Now I've watched this, which will prolly make sence to the people who suddenly got likes from Januari posts as I've liked some posts reading through this tread.

I truly understand why people felt "robbed" in the third act. I went into this flick without any kind of hype (which I actually rarely get these days), and I think Shayamalan could've managad all the stuff that happenend there in a slightly more smooth manner.

Much've been said here, and I wont bore you with similar comments. But still, I highly enjoyed this film. McAvoy was awesome, as in Split (I don't care if some people say he was over acting, I bloody loved it). Anya Taylor-Joy is IMHO a great promising actress I hope we'll see more of. Hopefully in well made drama/thriller stuff and not crappy teen stuff/comedies.

Yeah, I think this conclusion could've been way better, but I also feel somehow the whole thing would've won with better editing.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I saw this a few days ago and wound up hating it. It certainly started off good, but setting the majority of the film in a mental institution was the first mistake, because it felt like it just (literally) went nowhere after a while. Bruce Willis barely had anything to do once they were all locked up. I did like the twist (or surprise reveal) of Kevin's father being on the train, but then inserting Dr. Staple's Cult of SHIELD or whatever the **** they were was just awful. And I'm sorry, I know water is David's weakness, but you're really trying to tell me that a guy who can bend steel bars and throw people around like dummies is SO exhausted that he can't fight off ONE normal-sized guy trying to drown him in 6 inches of water? Pathetic. M. Night is like, the master of torpedoing a movie in the third act. It's almost uncanny how much he can ruin his own films. This one should be a contender for Worst CBM of the Last Decade, if it counts.

I knew this wasn't supposed to be good, but... man this was bad. I will say though I really enjoyed the third act. It was terrible, probably the worst part, but it was fun. It was the kind of bad I enjoy. The first two acts dragged like hell though, and then it took forever to wrap up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"