• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

I got my new WW candidate.

GOZIXbyWoAAjZ4k

I posted some of the Fury Road’s VFX guys YouTube videos/channel a good while back. For example, pretty much all the skies you see in Fury Road and Furiosa are computer creations. Nobody notices this though or it next to never gets commented on.
If you watch/listen to the Heroes Reforged podcast reaction (there's swearing so I won't embed it here), they get into the details of some of the making of Fury Road (they worked on it in minor VFX roles). The skies in Fury Road were CGI/replaced as well, the night scenes were shot in the day and color altered, etc. They mention Furiosa as supposedly filming more 'volume'.

What also makes Furiosa a bit different out the gate is that there is a different cinematographer than Fury Road.

In Fury Road, in [Furiosa], there are hardly any shots that haven’t been manipulated digitally,” Miller told io9. “For instance, changing the sky. When Steven Spielberg shot Jaws, the sea was changing all the time. If you look at that film one moment it’s choppy, one moment it’s flat. You don’t need to do that anymore.”

For my part I’m not going to entertain this discussion anymore because I feel like I’m being hounded by 3 staff members simply because I didn’t like the film and have a justified different opinion.

Everyone and their mothers are seemingly jumping on me and I really don’t appreciate this at all. Its hard to keep up with the barrage of attacks and try to give people solid answers to everyone without everything getting piled upon me.

Even worse when I was super excited for this film to come out and gave it a ton of attention and time for now being treated almost like a persona non-grata for not conforming to something.

giphy.gif
It was quite obvious to me looking over the last few pages there was passive aggressive comments thrown your way. Respect for taking a breather and stepping back. I generally enjoy everyone's contributions to why this film has or hasnt lived up to there expectations and why this has fumbled but this CGI thing was getting blown out of proportions while certain posters were sticking the knife in. Not nice to see in all honesty. Hope to see you back soon....

I think if Max had been the title character, it might have come close to Fury Road’s opening. Which would have only been $10-15mil more than this. Hardly Earth-shattering regardless. Safe to say Fury Road’s performance probably represents the ceiling for this franchise.

I do think if this had been a Mad Max movie it would have opened better. OR, if they had done a MM movie between this and Fury Road this movie might have done a little better.

A lot of he public just seem to have a problem with female-led action movies and I just don't get it. A good movie is a good movie no matter who leads it.

Really hope Furiosa can pick up some good WoM.

Yeah, just saw a Miller interview talking about the wasteland. Briefly talks about Max helping out a young mother and her child with lots of bloody action. He also mentions a black and white version ready down the line. FR in black and white is incredible to look at.
It really is the same story as the video game. I need it.

I do think if this had been a Mad Max movie it would have opened better. OR, if they had done a MM movie between this and Fury Road this movie might have done a little better.

A lot of he public just seem to have a problem with female-led action movies and I just don't get it. A good movie is a good movie no matter who leads it.

Really hope Furiosa can pick up some good WoM.
I dont think it being Mad Max would have made a huge difference. Like flick had said, I could see like 10-15 mil more. I don't think it was the difference between this and like 100 mil OW

Let’s all enter a denial prayer circle that since Miller owns Mad Max as a property (I think?) some other studio might bite because of the name.
Knowing WB, wouldn't be surprised if they dropped that distribution deal if Miller decided to move forward with another one somehow. Would be lovely.

The snap judgments coalition that has formed on YouTube due to the fiscal rewards made possible by clickbait truly will be the death of our society. I’m sorry, that was probably melodramatic. The Death of Cinema. That’s more like it. :o

Are you talking about that lame film right section of YouTube? Saw a few clips come up on my feed and them losers are rejoicing that this bombed. Female leads are the devil nonsense and whatnot.

Thankfully I've gotten rid of any YT recommendations of those people but I was curious and good god...

2.png
1.png

Netflix's Mad Max Wasteland :o

attacking-the-enemy-smith.gif
Is that the new JLo movie where she spends half the movie by herself annoyed and arguing with a computer (2001 A Space Odyssey it certainly is not)? I liked the Ghost in the Shell type of interrogation scene at the beginning but after the first 25 minutes or so it really goes downhill. It was better than Rebel Moon but can’t touch the script or craft of Furiosa.

Let’s all enter a denial prayer circle that since Miller owns Mad Max as a property (I think?) some other studio might bite because of the name.

Knowing WB, wouldn't be surprised if they dropped that distribution deal if Miller decided to move forward with another one somehow. Would be lovely.
Pretty sure MGM owns the international rights (ie. Outside Australia) to Mad Max 1. Maybe they want to get back in the game, especially with the Fallout series being such a huge success.

Village Roadshow is the domestic Australian distributer for the series.

Pretty sure MGM owns the rights to Mad Max 1. Maybe they want to get back in the game, especially with the Fallout series being such a huge success.
As will Netflix, I hope that Amazon would allow for a theater release!

As will Netflix, I hope that Amazon would allow for a theater release!
Much better chance with Amazon as they don't have a carte blanche policy like Netflix.

Also, feel like Lionsgate would be a good fit for the franchise. It has a similar demo to John Wick.

Thankfully I've gotten rid of any YT recommendations of those people but I was curious and good god...

View attachment 91797
View attachment 91796

This is why I’m hoping there’s a rebound of some sort since it - at least seems - once people see the movie they tend to like it as seen in critic rating and cinemascore.

It’s the kind of ammo that evil people (could use much harsher words here) like Ike Perlmutter use to try to stop these kinds of movies (female action) from being made. While Ike is fortunately gone, there’s others like him still in the industry.

There’s this well known really unfortunate and disturbing disparity. Blade Runner 2049 does poorly and it’s chalked up to the film itself not connecting with audiences due to timing, approach, etc. Not that it stars a man in the lead role. Whereas here there’s undoubtedly some suits wrongly quick to chalk it a lot of it up to having a female lead. It’s a double standard that impacts films centering on women and minorities. I’d love to say that double standard is gone, but doesn’t seem to be.

Last edited:
This film was incredible. I had low expectations because I loved Fury Road -- the trailers for this didn't grab me. But wow, this was a beautifully crafted movie with some truly nightmarish images that I'll never forget. While the CGI looked awful in trailers, I was so invested in the characters and narrative that I didn't care for the occasionally dodgy effects. It's a prequel with an unpredictable story which is quite difficult to pull off. I didn't anticipate rewatching Fury Road after this, but I did. Miller's world is so lived-in, every detail is so meticulously crafted without drowning you in backstory/exposition. For that reason alone, I don't know how anyone who loves moviemaking can dislike this movie.

This was such a quintessential summer film, much like Fury Road years ago. Blew my expectations out of the water.

I find it so deeply depressing that the box office is all anyone is talking about with a movie this rich, complex and full of things to talk about.
Me too! I was so disappointed reading this thread on my phone after watching the film :tearsofjoy: There's so much to the film itself worth discussing - I'm grateful it exists at all!

Deadline said:
In PostTrak exits, 52% said they went to Furiosa because it was part of a franchise they love, while 34% cited director George Miller, 32% cited Taylor-Joy, and 25% Chris Hemsworth. In regards to Garfield, the overall reason why people bought tickets was because it looked fun.

If this is truly the end on the film side of things. I always wanted to see a series in this world. Get a showrunner who loves the material and we off to the races. Following Max and his different adventures etc.

I just rewatched Fury Road and yep, Furiousa greatly enhanced that movie for me. Dont get me wrong, FR works great as a standalone feature but man, watching this and having Furiousa so fresh in my head really gave Charlize Theron's Furiousa a lot of emotional weight and context. And by the time FR finishes it really feels like coming to the end of an epic journey with this character. I dont know, everyone's mileage will vary but I think Furiousa and FR work great as companion pieces to each other.

Kinda surprised at the opening but I also don’t remember Fury Road blazing the US box office. It wont help that the film will prolly be on digital next month.

It didn't. Comparatively to other blockbusters at the time it didn't do huge business, but it got great reviews and lots of awards hype.

But Mad Max, as influential as it is, has never been this huge blockbuster franchise. It's kind of like Blade Runner. Sci-fi classic, seminal, influential. Filmmakers worship it. And yet the sequel bombed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"