Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

I mean this assumes the only way a movie makes money is from BO

All the movies currently are actually displaying pretty great legs except for Furiosa unfortunately.

I mean this assumes the only way a movie makes money is from BO
No, but it's where it makes most of its money. At least the goal is to break even so other forms of income are profit. This movie is going to be in the red still, which isn't an optimal result

Movies in general should have lower budgets to tell better stories abcs be creative. 10 million is all you need to tell your story.

Movies in general should have lower budgets to tell better stories abcs be creative. 10 million is all you need to tell your story.
Movies should have lower budgets, but I cannot agree with the blanket statement that all you need is 10 mil to do it. It depends on the movie and the vision. But these shouldn't cost 300-400 million dollars and such.

Well I finally got to see Furiosa, and I thought it was absolutely glorious. George Miller has given us a fantastic companion piece to Fury Road here, and I can't wait to watch them back to back.

I felt the movie had a bit of everything, good characters to root for, hateable characters to hate, backed up by strong performances from the actors and some amazing set pieces along the way. The Bullet Farm sequence alone was worth the price of admission.

I loved how the finale was a more intimate affair, with a very satisfying comeuppance and conclusion. This movie also adds so much to Fury Road by expanding that world and letting us see places only talked about there.

It will forever perplex me that this movie didn't do better at the BO. I just hope somehow, some way, Miller gets to make another Max movie. 9/10.

Movies should have lower budgets, but I cannot agree with the blanket statement that all you need is 10 mil to do it. It depends on the movie and the vision. But these shouldn't cost 300-400 million dollars and such.
You can tell any story with ten million. From mad Max to the Justice league. Even avatar

You can tell any story with ten million. From mad Max to the Justice league. Even avatar
You CAN, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD. I am not saying we need to spend 300 mil on every movie, but you make Avatar at 10 mil, that isn't making 2 billion. The core appeal in some movies is the immersion factor and the grand epic scope, and the lower the budget, the lower the scope. Movies need to not just reign in the spending, they need to spend responsibly. Meaning don't CG every shot and force VFX artists to make crunch factor last minute changes and everything looks fake, etc. You can manage budgets better than Hollywood is doing, but not every project should be 10 mil and call it a day. You don't get a Dune Part 2 or Fury Road on 10 mil

As with anything in life, there is nuance and it depends on the project

That’s all you need. Then if it makes 300 million that’s a win. Why a studio would have a budget like that for furiousa is so silly if you’re goal was to make money.
Some movies absolutely cannot be made on such a small budget like that. Even Star Wars was made for the equivalent of almost $60 million in today's dollars after adjusting for inflation and that was almost 50 years ago, and that was something that the studio didn't even have a lot of faith in back then.

That’s all you need. Then if it makes 300 million that’s a win. Why a studio would have a budget like that for furiousa is so silly if you’re goal was to make money.
How much does it cost to hire a VFX artist? How much does it cost to hire 10? How about a grip? A cinematographer? Actors? Costumers? Set dresser? Caters? PAs? Stunt performers? Composer? Editor? You haven't hired a director yet or countless other essential positions.

How much does it cost to hire a VFX artist? How much does it cost to hire 10? How about a grip? A cinematographer? Actors? Costumers? Set dresser? Caters? PAs? Stunt performers? Composer? Editor? You haven't hired a director yet or countless other essential positions.
Also say goodbye to a lot of A-list actors and on a budget requiring high volumes of characters, you will be paying a lot of people scale.

I wonder if there was anything else this movie could have done to draw in more people. i keep thinking of Dune which, like Mad Max, was a niche property (in terms of film) that never really hit with general audiences until Villaneuve got his hands on it. I know Dune had star power going for it, maybe thats what Furiousa lacked.

I wonder if there was anything else this movie could have done to draw in more people. i keep thinking of Dune which, like Mad Max, was a niche property (in terms of film) that never really hit with general audiences until Villaneuve got his hands on it. I know Dune had star power going for it, maybe thats what Furiousa lacked.
I dont think that's it either. Dune has had adaptations, sure. But mostly on TV outside of an 80s movie no one's remembers. Dune also is coming after Game of Thrones became popular, and Dune has a lot of similar elements. Fury Road conversely was peak Mad Max, and didn't hit quite the same high. So I think it's just a matter of missing the popularity window and Mad Max simply being more niche as compared to Dune

It just feels like a Blade Runner 2049 situation, where it doesn't matter how good the film was, or how legendary the preceding one was, the audience just isn't there. Hard to market an "awesome film that looks like that other one you probably should have watched", where it both lacks the excitement of being something new, and the power of people's familiarity and nostalgia. Even fans of the originals can be muted or become skeptical, cause it's been so long and there seems like there's no way to top it.

I can only speak for myself and others I know but I feel like prequels in general come with a stigma that is not easily overcome. I liked Furiosa and I don't mean this as a slant on this film but had this been set after Fury Road I would have gone into it with a lot more hype even if they recast the main role. When you know where character(s) will end up it takes away a lot of excitement around a movie for me at least, and I still liked it!

Release date maybe? Let's say hypothetically Dune 2 had been released in November as originally intended and Furiosa was completed in time to move the release date up two months to take that first weekend of March slot. Maybe in that scenario it does better with the benefit of coming out after a two month drought at movie theaters.

So apparently this is losing over 1100 screens at the US BO this weekend. It's like WB want this to fail miserably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"