Make your own Xbox 360 Games

Lactophiliac

bachelor by choice
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this?

http://gear.ign.com/articles/725/725557p1.html

August 14, 2006 - Gamefest, Microsoft's yearly show for game developers, kicks off today. The event should prove particularly exciting to many more than the hardcore professional development clique, as Microsoft is announcing a new community based game development initiative, dubbed the XNA Game Studio Express.

The software, which Microsoft plans to make available as a free beta product this month and as a completed subscription service by the end of the year, will provide hobbyist game developers with easy to use tools to create their own Xbox 360 titles. The Studio Express software is based upon the XNA tools Microsoft provides to professional developers, yet lowers the expertise-barrier to entry so as to allow for a much broader range of programmers to develop games for the 360.

Microsoft intends to offer the completed version of XNA Game Studio Express by the end of the year as a $99 a year subscription service. Subscribers will have access to the software package as well as a community of other junior-developers. Subscribers will be able to offer up their work for others to download, but only other subscribers will be able to play it. Microsoft has hopes of developing a large-scale system down the road that will allow amateur-developers to offer up their creations for purchase via Xbox Live Arcade, and later a veritable YouTube-style community-judged submission system.

Dev-kits for recent consoles have been prohibitively expensive for all but the most committed amateur developer. PS2 dev-kits cost $20,000 at launch, and full dev-kits for the older PSOne were $4,000. Nintendo broke the trend recently by reportedly selling Wii dev-kits for only $2,000. Perhaps in fear of Nintendo snapping up the mass of pent-up creativity and innovation that exists among independent and enthusiastic amateur developers, Microsoft's value-leading initiative will be the most accessible console development program in history.
Man it would be sweet to make a game.

That's gonna be awesome. I'm sure that the game design department at my school will pick this up for some intro courses.

Yeah, I'd love to throw together something and have it actually put up on XBLA, that'd be awesome :eek:

Yeah, kinda makes me want to go to my film school and look up the videogame department there, see if I can't get some artist and programers together. I have an idea for a fairly simple fighting game for XBLA.

Sounds exactly what Sony offered with PS2Linux with the inclusion of a managed distribution system and tools. WOuld be suprised if Sony offers something similar, given their history of it dating as far back as the PS1, and opening speaking about user created content being allowed on the PS3 prior to this announcement.

Zenien said:
Sounds exactly what Sony offered with PS2Linux with the inclusion of a managed distribution system and tools. WOuld be suprised if Sony offers something similar, given their history of it dating as far back as the PS1, and opening speaking about user created content being allowed on the PS3 prior to this announcement.
This is not exactly like it Zenien, this has actual support, ease of use, important stuff like that, the ps2 kit was pretty thrown together, if I'm not mistaken you had to code almost directly to metal with that thing :o

I think we'll have to just wait and see how this turns out. Isn't the beta for this being released soon?

Trigger said:
I think we'll have to just wait and see how this turns out. Isn't the beta for this being released soon?
Yeah, at the end of this month.:o

Sounds hot... I guess I need to brush up on my programming skills...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"