Making the perfect Spidey suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
That suit is almost identical to the one I own, also made by Kerezman Costumes.
Well made but highly inaccurate.

Please don't be offended Spidey Maniac but any Spiderman fan knows that pattern on that suit is nothing like the pattern Spidey wears. The pattern on the face is also wrong.

But we already know that 99% of the Spiderman Suits on the market, custom, or off the peg just don't make the grade.
If we didn't know this then why would we all be hanging around this forum in the hope that Mick can do the near impossible and create 'THE PERFECT SPIDEY SUIT'?

End our pain and torture Mick, let's see some more pictures....(fingers crossed)

Joesph,

I just received an e-mail from someone that stated they bought a costume stating it orginated from you or your past partner. Whichever, he paid over $600... this individual mentioned it was like the same costume Mick posted on his website. Now I'm no expert in costume design or silk screening but I've done enough of both to realize the time and expense to produce a Spider-Man costume. For the quality of the pics Mick and I have seen, it's simply not fair... wait.. it's more like robbery. Granted you have the right to charge whatever you want, but common sense has to come into play here. I hope everyone understands what they are getting when buying a costume. Price gouging is not being fair. I hope there isn't any false interpertations or "misleadings" when someone understands what they are spending their hard earned dollars on. I'm hearing a lot of disapointed people out there and if you're going to stick around on this thread, I hope you "play" well with others. -- S.Y.

[This message has been edited by SpiderManYetter (edited 03-01-2001).]

I am still waiting to get a decent picture of one of them. I have an Ok picture that I will post today. It has mcfarlane eyes (not my favorite. but the customer wanted it
Joseph

The above costume is one of mine. I only charge $400 for that costume. I followed quite a few pictures when I did the web lines espeially the face. I also had to do it to allow several versions of the eyes. I did do one that was $600 but it was a rush. Nobody has to have me make them a costume. My costume is NOT inaccurate. I have not had a single complaint since I started making them in October. If someone wants to order one from me great, if you want to make it yourself Great. If you think you can do better, than do it but dont knock my work. I di dnot put a gun to anyones head and make them pay my price. if you want a $50 F***ing costume than BUY ONE!!!!!! I have a family to feed and a roof to keep over their heads!!

I am sorry for the outburst at the end of my last post, I am about to lose my house. and I worked very hard to do this costume right, and to be told I am ripping people off, I will not stand for. I have fixed the couple of lines missing lines the face (you can see where they go in that picture) I followed the comics when I did the web lines. Not any or the post McFarlane crap but a more classic version. I just dont line the 'million web' present version
Look, the bottom line is this, everyone is not going to like my work. and I can live with that. if you dont like it dont order from me. If you do, and can live with a $400 price then order one. Or make it yourself, I love seeing what other people can do.
Well I dont know if I will post here anymore
Joseph

Joseph, don't stop posting. You have valuable insights and as a satisfied customer, I can vouch for your talents personally.

This board benefits greatly from having a diverse pool of contributors. Professional costume makers are in short supply, ones that make good super hero costumes, even more so.

I agree that the costume pictured leaves something to be desired, but lycra is a difficult medium and constantly working from a different design source doesn't help. Also, I know the mask webbing is a real challenge to get perfect, especially as it translates from a static 2D screen, to 3D spheroid reality. Doing the lines by hand assures a better result, but obviously that process doesn't lend itself to repetition. That's why Mick's stuff looks as good as it does, but lets see his efforts if he was to attempt to make a screen pattern.

Joe, I think we'd all like to see the new, corrected, version of your spidey. Please post a pic ASAP. (Or update your danged website)

Anyone who doubts Kerezmans abilities should check out the Cap, '66 Batman/Robin, or GL costumes posted at his site.

And S-MY, Be cool. Don't go accusing this guy of robbery. How much do you think one should pay for a completely made to measure costume? $400 is not unreasonable by my standards. If anyone paid much more than that, it was for shipping and putting a rush on the order.

Joesph,

Let's start fresh. #1) Your talent and experience are more than welcomed. We're not a bunch of snot-nosed kids trying to bash everyone's work. Our thoughts on this thread were to have everyone that either wanted a costume or made a costume get together and share insights and knowledge. I know I had the impression that some of your threads we're trying to entice people into buying your costumes. I now know that wasn't your intention. We both know Spidey costumes can be generated 6 different ways from Sunday and too each their own. I was only sharing what I have learned from other people in regards to your costume. I know I don't have a problem soliciting your product on this thread, no one will stop you and I think everyone will appreciate it. Choice is a great thing when it comes to something like this. I hope you post as many pics as you can and share what works and what doesn't. Between all of us we have some serious talent that we all can benefit from. No hard feelings and I hope you stick around and share what you can. By the way, regarding the house, have you tried a Consumer Credit Agency? They saved my butt from the fire before... S.Y.

Originally posted by AlfaMale:
Joseph, don't stop posting. You have valuable insights and as a satisfied customer, I can vouch for your talents personally.

This board benefits greatly from having a diverse pool of contributors. Professional costume makers are in short supply, ones that make good super hero costumes, even more so.

I agree that the costume pictured leaves something to be desired, but lycra is a difficult medium and constantly working from a different design source doesn't help. Also, I know the mask webbing is a real challenge to get perfect, especially as it translates from a static 2D screen, to 3D spheroid reality. Doing the lines by hand assures a better result, but obviously that process doesn't lend itself to repetition. That's why Mick's stuff looks as good as it does, but lets see his efforts if he was to attempt to make a screen pattern.

Joe, I think we'd all like to see the new, corrected, version of your spidey. Please post a pic ASAP. (Or update your danged website)

Anyone who doubts Kerezmans abilities should check out the Cap, '66 Batman/Robin, or GL costumes posted at his site.

And S-MY, Be cool. Don't go accusing this guy of robbery. How much do you think one should pay for a completely made to measure costume? $400 is not unreasonable by my standards. If anyone paid much more than that, it was for shipping and putting a rush on the order.

I agree.. $400 is fair.. I think $675 is a little steep.

("Doing the lines by hand assures a better result, but obviously that process doesn't lend itself to repetition. That's why Mick's stuff looks as good as it does, but lets see his efforts if he was to attempt to make a screen pattern.")

Dear AlfaMale,
I started this forum because i was being asked constantly if I could make people on this Forum.End of story.I have not dissed anyone or any costume.
So I get a little annoyed by your above comment.Why are you taking a shot at me?!
If your are a friend of "costume maker" then I dont blame you speaking out.Just dont Have a go at me!OK?
And in regards to your baffling remark you are WRONG on all accounts.Drawing the web pattern onto flat pieces of paper in order to have screens made is far easier than drawing them perfectly onto a finished costume,that much I know.How do i know because Ive tried it both ways.Have you?
Mick

[This message has been edited by mick (edited 03-01-2001).]

Hey Mick! Did you get my email about the free hosting? I'd really like to do it, and we got to reserve the domain before anyone else does it
smile.gif

Hi all
I will hang around. The only way I charge anyone over the $400 if there were special additions or the costume was a rush order. That costume at geocities was one I did a LONG time ago. as nice as it is I like the new pattern I use now. and Mick, I have seen pictures of your work, I for one am impressed. There is no reason for anyone to take shots at you. defintaly not in my name. I read comments about my red & Blue one and nothing on my black suit, I actually think my black one is pretty good.
Joseph. BTW I am the Captain America on my web site.

Joe, Mick,
I for one wish I had half the talent you guys have in your left pinky fingers.Please don't take any bad remarks from anyone on this forum to heart and keep posting your wisdom and pictures. There is no competition between you two.I'm a big spidey fan and it took me a long time to find this oasis and I hope everyone will be courtious of everyone elses feelings when posting.
Thank you,
Randy Lehnhardt
[email protected]

Mick I wouldn't have invoked your name, but Joe's work seems to be suffering by comparison to the only other creations we've seen here, which, of course belong to you.

And yeah,I have tried both techniques.

I find drawing the pattern 3D to be much easier. Mostly that's just because of the way the pattern stretches with the material, on the finished product.
I can only get it to look proper by putting the mask on a head-form, then carefully tracing the lines, (pencil first, then fabric marker). Also I'm better with a pen than an x-acto knife, so my lines are less perfect when I cut the plastic for the screen.

Whatever, I'm sure you might be better at the other. And I have no doubt that you're better at both than myself.

Now, I need to add, I am not taking a dig at you. Re-reading my post, though, I can see how it could be interpreted that way. I only meant the remarks in defense of a guy, (not my friend), whose work I have been personally pleased with. It looked like poor Joe was about to be chased off by S-MY! The intention was only to note the difference in approaches the two of you are taking to your products. One is creating a perfect one-off, the other is trying to create something commercially duplicable.

So Mick, please accept my apologies. I meant absolutely no disrespect. I cannot speak highly enough of the work I've seen from you, thus far. And I await with great anticipation posts of your future stuff.

-Simon

[This message has been edited by AlfaMale (edited 03-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by AlfaMale (edited 03-01-2001).]

Hey Joe,
Where you goin' with that gun in your hand.Just kiddin' a Hendrix flash back.I just went through that site with your suit. The guy that had a second one made. Those suits kick a$$. I love it especially the one with the big eyes.Then I checked out your site, I have always dreamed of an Adam West batman suit, what would one go for?One more question- I'm interested in a spidey suit with a removable mask. Could it be made with a long neck on the body, like a turtle neck and have the mask made with a long neck that would tuck into the turtle neck of the suit? JUST COURIOUS. My prayers go to you with your house situation.

Well it looks like everyone can get along now.... good thing. That was starting to get ugly. Joe, could you please post a link to your site. Would love to see it. I

Originally posted by Fanged-Hunter:
Okay, Mick here we go.

Basically: How will your costume be put together?
1. Are there going to be soles in the boots?
2. Are the gloves and boots attached? (I assume they are)
3. Is the mask attached, and if so, how?
4. Will those getting a costume made by you be able to choose the style of eyes? (McFarlane, classic, etc) and will you accept pics of what they'd like?
5. Will the chest spider be set or is that also flexible?
6. Will you use the lenses similar to those used for your Ross design or will a white mesh material be available?

I know you're still in the preliminary work, but these are just a few curious questions I wanted to ask. Just give the best answer you can.

Oh, and since it probably got deleted before you saw it, I asked a bunch of similar questions immediately after you posted a reply to the first thread saying not to ask how much it would cost. Of course, my reply posted immediately after started with:

So. . . . .how much is it going to cost?
wink.gif

I then mentioned you throwing a bus on me with the spider strength you aquired while working on the Ross costume and I died.

I don't remember where my mindless rambling went from there, but I remember it concluding with a fire truck being hurled in my general direction.

Just letting you know I'm okay and still interested in a costume.

See ya later, Spider-Mick.

Mick, you still haven't answered my questions. GEEZ, you'd think you're spending nights swinging around. . .the. . .city wear. . .ing. . .oh geez.

Hey, I just posted this in another thread, and thought I'd stick in here. It's just some ideas on how to make the $50 store costume by Disguise, Inc into a decent costume to tide you over until you have the money to get one from Joseph or until Mick's ready to start taking orders. Also, we can try our hand at modifying and making a costume ourselves.
smile.gif

The $50 costume isn't that bad. Just get a little creative. I bought it, and for $50 dollars, it works rather well. Of course, you need to spend the extra $6 or $8 to buy the gloves that go with it, but then get creative. Basically, here's what you do:
MASK: Two choices, either cut the eyes out completely and buy some white mesh material and get some tint for car windows (ask for scraps at a shop that does that). Sew the white on and stick the tint on the back. this allows you to see out, though it will be like sunglasses, and hard to see in. Or you could double up the white mesh.
MASK option number TWO: Find a store or place that make professional wrestling masks. I'm sure they'd be able to do a Spider-Man mask. But the price may get high.
Then you just need to make a red spider that goes on the back, cut it in half up the middle and have it attached (sewn, glue or something) on the sides of the zipper.

Finally, use a marker and red socks for boots (if you're cheap and doing it last minute like I did) or again, a professional wrestling supplier could probably get you in contact with someone who could make the boots and they'd be tall enough to just wear over the costume.

You may also want to somehow attach the gloves to the sleeves of the costume.

Sure, it's not Mick's "Perfect Spider Suit" but you can make the $50 into a half decent costume.

I'm planning on making the aforementioned modifications to mine as I doubt Mick will be able to have one that I can get by Halloween and I've found something else I'm considering spending a pretty penny on. However, I'm sticking on Mick's waiting list. Long story, but I still want a perfect costume. Might get one from Joseph if I ever see his new pics.

Keep up the good work, all you costumers on here.

Hi all
Thanks for all the good thoughts! I am about to do my 10th suit. I want pictures to post But only 2 customers have even sent or emailed me pictures. I am going to try and find someone similar enought in size to put in the suit I am working on now. and Take some Pictures myself, before I ship it out. Believe it or not someone is ordering the TV version of the costume! the Nicholas Hammond one, You want bad Eyes! He has asked me to use sun glasses mylar for the eyes. instead of the mirrors with the holes in it. This one I will have to do the webs by hand, it will take a while, I want to get it right.
Later
Joseph

Originally posted by Costume Maker:
Hi all
Thanks for all the good thoughts! I am about to do my 10th suit. I want pictures to post But only 2 customers have even sent or emailed me pictures. I am going to try and find someone similar enought in size to put in the suit I am working on now. and Take some Pictures myself, before I ship it out. Believe it or not someone is ordering the TV version of the costume! the Nicholas Hammond one, You want bad Eyes! He has asked me to use sun glasses mylar for the eyes. instead of the mirrors with the holes in it. This one I will have to do the webs by hand, it will take a while, I want to get it right.
Later
Joseph

Joe,

This sounds cool.. I always liked the eyes in the TV series. Hope you have some pics when your finished... What do you mean you want "pictures to post"?

Thanks for the Little info everyone has provided thru this forum and I want everyone to know I'm still here. Wouldn't mind seeing more pics of El Hombre in costume either. I would enjoying seeing anyone else in costume as well. Email any pics at [email protected] By the waym Costume Maker how big can you make your actual costumes anyway I forgot to ask when I last E-mailed you.

Originally posted by SpiderManYetter:
Joe,

This sounds cool.. I always liked the eyes in the TV series. Hope you have some pics when your finished... What do you mean you want "pictures to post"?

Yeti,

Since he makes the costumes to order, by measurements/tracings. He doesn't get a chance to see the final costume modeled on the customer, unless the customer is nice enough to take a pic themselves and send it to him.

You'll notice, most of the photos on his site are of himself.

Hey everyone,
It seems that this Forum has totally changed from its original purpose.I didnt start it to promote others....this was not meant as a sales pitch for costume sellers.

It seems everyone and their brother are now using lenses for instance.Kinda takes the fun away.I have some photos of my suit,I was really excited at posting them,I think people would have been wowed.But i am now hesitant to show them.I feel any ideas I come up with may be adopted by others. I 'm gonna take a break from this Forum for a while.Hopefully in the interim others will show us their work.Heck,I even tried showing it step by step,anybody else care to take this "open,no secrets" approach?

See Ya
Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"