Man of Steel 2 and why the film should be greenlit

Spider-Cross

Civilian
Reaction score
The DC Extended Universe has been ongoing for almost 10 years now since Man of Steel and its sequel is still being held up from going into production due to so much of the destruction in the first film and Dawn of Justice being too much to bare and with all the lack of expert planning for movies. Recently, Warner Bros, now Warner Bros Discovery has a new boss who is looking to revive the project for Man of Steel 2 and while it is unclear if the company will undergo more monopoly merging with others like Comcast in the coming years, let's hope that the studio will greenlight the sequel because there are more characters from the Superman comics that need to make their debut on the big screen and if the people at Warner Bros and DC are looking for ways to make Man of Steel 2 more efficient than the first one, the staff and producers need to make this film feature strong ties to the events in the first film and Batman vs Superman, especially with the villains that they are to introduce along with more supporting characters.

Recently, Dwayne Johnson and many hardcore DC comicbook fans are campaigning for Henry Cavill's return as Superman so they can take each other on in future movies which would really help boost support and popularity for Man of Steel 2 and other characters like Supergirl and Brainiac are also due to make their appearences in the DCEU as well.

Now, let's break down what characters WBD should feature in the overdue Man of Steel 2 and why they would work more effectively than any other from the comics that others have in mind outside this post.

Here's Henry Cavill as Superman
Henry Cavill as Superman.png

While the actor himself is still uncertain of his return as Superman, many fans are still confident that with the reshuffle as WBD that Cavill will soon return to reprise his role again for another stand alone.

Next there's Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam
Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam.png

For an actor who is set to appear in a stand alone of his own named after the arch enemy of Billy Batson/Shazam, Johnson spent years lobbying DC and WB into keeping his character separate from Shazam and if he really wants to see himself going head to head with Superman, then Man of Steel 2 would be the perfect film to fullfil such opportunity. Some would see Johnson character to be the villain of the sequel, but to others, Black Adam would feature as the anti-hero and that the real main villain for the second Superman stand alone in the DCEU would still be the one alien supervillain that Warner and DC has held themselves back from bringing onto the big screen for years since Christopher Reeves' third Superman movie.

The villain I'm referring to is Brainiac and he would really be worth having Cavill's Superman go head to head with in the second Man of Steel film with the main plot of the sequel based on the Superman: Brainiac storyline and for the character to be portrayed by an actor fit to take on Kryptonians in a fist fight while controlling technological parts of the environment and he is someone that recently worked in Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead movie:

Dave Bautista
Dave Bautista as Brainiac.png

Yup, Bautista has also portrayed Drax in the Marvel Cinematic Universe who is also green like Brainiac so it would be a great honor to have Bautista portray Brainiac who in turn would serve as the true arch nemesis of Superman in the DCEU involving the demise of Krypton and why its own population would destroy itself over lack of resources and the storyline Superman: Brainiac would be the most reasonably story arc to use in the second Man of Steel film.

Now as for Supergirl, in case WBD has literally scrapped plans for a stand alone revolving the Girl of Steel, then new CEO better look into including Kara Zor-el in the sequel to work with Superman on protecting Earth from Brainiac and all forces of evil and one good actress that would nail it besides others like Chloe Grace Mortez. That would be Madison Iseman.
Madison Iseman as Supergirl.png

Pretty neat, huh. As a charming blonde American actress, Iseman would look splendid as the Girl of Steel.

Now as for other characters, Lois Lane, as Superman's love interest and wife will be sure to make a return to the screens with Amy Adams reprising her role.
Amy Adams as Lois Lane.png

Question is that when Man of Steel 2 does happen, will Adams this time go brunette and not stay a redhead?

For other characters that should be introduced in the sequel, some of them like Silver Banshee for instance would have her origin as a metahuman be linked to all the destruction that unravelled in Superman's battle against General Zod and the Kryptonian military guild rather than directly being made a villainess directly by her brother in the comics. Banshee (Siobhan McDougal) is among the most tragic enemies of Superman and the last son of Krypton's clashes with her has made the fallen maiden the most popular and fearsome arch enemy of Supergirl. Among the many actresses who would have not only the best figure but also the best qualities to portray Silver Banshee as one of the villains in Man of Steel 2, Dark Knight Rises Catwoman actress Anne Hathaway has shown the best of anybody who has displayed emotional, energetic, and aggressive potential of characters portrayed on film and that is why should nail it real good as Silver Banshee.
Anne Hathaway as Silver Banshee.png

Silver Banshee has been among the many Superman comic characters that Warner Brothers has constantly held itself back from bringing onto the big screens and it would be real good if they can get her set to appear in this long awaited sequel as well once they get things ready.

Now as for other villains that can make their debut in the DCEU, there are two of them that Zack Snyder, DC and WBD turned down for Batman and Steppenwolf in which they can introduce into the second Superman movie with major changes in their backgrounds and how they would adapt on screen in their comic inspired versions.

There's Metallo with Gerald Butler as the best bet on playing John Corben
Gerald Butler as Metallo.png

and Cyborg Superman who looks like Superman being reduced to metal that Wes Bentley would pull off a stunning resemblance to Henry Cavill's character
Wes Bentley as Cyborg Superman.png

Both Metallo and Cyborg Superman are cyborg foes of Superman and with Brainiac capable of creating a robot army of his own with limitless resources, he would hold just enough materials to make John Corben and Hank Henshaw two of Superman's most ruthless foes and it would add more story to the film as well.

and finally there is Laurence Fishbourne as Perry White, CEO of the Daily Planet.
Laurence Fishburne as Perry White.png

Quite interesting, don't you think? Look, I know everyone else has plenty of other great ideas for Superman in the future, but also, not only would Man of Steel 2 have a plot and characters that would make sense to the continuity of DCEU movies involving Superman, but also, Black Adam has recently formed a team of his own in the Rebirth comics and Silver Banshee is one of them.

For now we await further updates and be sure to share your thoughts on this thread too.

I thought MoS was a decent foundation but it would be weird to go back to it a lot later and when he's had a lot happen in non-sequel followups (which even those are a while ago now). Also not sure about involving aliens again, or Supergirl, but Brainiac with involvement with Krypton's downfall could make sense and Metallo I think has been pretty overdue.

If Brainiac isn’t involved in a Man of Steel sequel, I don’t even want to see it. They should’ve just made Burton’s Superman Lives back in the 90s. Lex, Brainiac, and Doomsday in one movie would have been amazing.

I thought MoS was a decent foundation but it would be weird to go back to it a lot later and when he's had a lot happen in non-sequel followups (which even those are a while ago now). Also not sure about involving aliens again, or Supergirl, but Brainiac with involvement with Krypton's downfall could make sense and Metallo I think has been pretty overdue.

I would be okay with a reboot because MoS has a lot of things I don't like. Jonathan Kent's portrayal was awful, Lois knowing Clark's secret from the start, the way Superman is introduced to the world (he should've already been out in public before Zod called him out), Superman not caring about destroying the city, and of course Superman killing Zod... all things I don't like about the movie.

I thought Lois knowing the secret from the start was a refreshing change that felt pretty natural (and a new Lois finding out at the end of a movie or in a second one would feel very already-done) but yes Superman not debut-ting in public until after Zod arrived was change for its own sake and for increased conflict that felt felt very forced.

I would be okay with a reboot because MoS has a lot of things I don't like. Jonathan Kent's portrayal was awful, Lois knowing Clark's secret from the start, the way Superman is introduced to the world (he should've already been out in public before Zod called him out), Superman not caring about destroying the city, and of course Superman killing Zod... all things I don't like about the movie.
As someone who REALLY wanted to like Man of Steel, these are all my thoughts exactly. I lied to myself for a few years, telling myself that I loved the movie. But while I thought that it had a lot of positives going for it, I cannot help but think that it was a disappointment. That let down was only exasperated by BvS, which took a dump on the character. Snyder’s JL then showed that he would’ve taken the character even farther down the trail of being irredeemable. My perception is that ZS was ashamed of the character and his inherent goodness and felt the need to force him into being morally weak.

My son said it best to me: in a perfect Superman story, there should be no character arc for Superman. His morality is static and he does not waiver. He is the catalyst by which every other character in the story is transformed and his virtue and ethos are what drives everyone else’s character arcs, for good or for bad.
MoS fundamentally rejects that approach, which was displayed by the issues that you address. That’s why I personally see it as an enormous missed opportunity.

I liked MOS alot , but at this point, I think it's time to move on, wipe the slate clean, and start with a rookie Superman who you can build a new storylines on without the baggage of the past decade.

At the same time, I have zero faith in the current leadership at WB , and with the studios uncertain future , I'm skeptical they could even pull off a reboot at this point.

Despite alot of the chatter that Cavill may be returning, I still think a rebooted Superman franchise is the better way to go.

My son said it best to me: in a perfect Superman story, there should be no character arc for Superman. His morality is static and he does not waiver. He is the catalyst by which every other character in the story is transformed and his virtue and ethos are what drives everyone else’s character arcs

I think very few screenwriters or directors would want to make a film like that and if one did the critics would consider the movie average at best and also probably not realize that was intentionally done, would just think the movie was really about the other characters.

I liked MOS alot , but at this point, I think it's time to move on, wipe the slate clean, and start with a rookie Superman who you can build a new storylines on without the baggage of the past decade.

Though I do think it makes more sense to have that after all this time you still have the pretty big problem of most people don't want to see a new origin story but, Spider-Man: Homecoming and I guess The Batman aside (and those had popular recent predecessors), people also aren't necessarily willing to accept starting a new version *not* from the beginning either.

Though I do think it makes more sense to have that after all this time you still have the pretty big problem of most people don't want to see a new origin story but, Spider-Man: Homecoming and I guess The Batman aside (and those had popular recent predecessors), people also aren't necessarily willing to accept starting a new version *not* from the beginning either.

I actually don't think people, meaning the GA, wouldn't mind if a reboot started off without an origin.

It's basically people in the fan community who tend to expect and want each version of a hero origin be repeated .

But when it comes down to it, the GA is more than willing to just go with a reboot that doesn't repeat the Krypton stuff, growing up in Smallville, etc.

After 80 odd years, everyone knows Superman's origin and they could begin with Clark arriving in Metropolis for the first time ala The Lois and Clark pilot and you hit the ground running from there.

Then, if they want to revisit his origins they can do it in sequels or like SMHC, or it can be alluded to in a brief line of dialog.

The GA really doesn't need a refresher on why Clark has powers, how he grew up in Smallville etc.

Spiderman Homecoming , The Batman , even the first X Men film just began with the heroes in tact without ,showing how they got to where they are.

So showing the origin for a character like Superman who's had a thousand versions really isn't necessary.

A well executed story doesn't demand a retelling of Superman's origin.

I think very few screenwriters or directors would want to make a film like that and if one did the critics would consider the movie average at best and also probably not realize that was intentionally done, would just think the movie was really about the other characters.
I guess “screenwriters” “directors” and “critics” don’t like Superman. Because this is who he is. He is not what we got in MoS.

Boy, keep everything established already except Sasha Callie's Supergirl, huh? I see you.

My son said it best to me: in a perfect Superman story, there should be no character arc for Superman. His morality is static and he does not waiver. He is the catalyst by which every other character in the story is transformed and his virtue and ethos are what drives everyone else’s character arcs, for good or for bad.
MoS fundamentally rejects that approach, which was displayed by the issues that you address. That’s why I personally see it as an enormous missed opportunity.

That is an extremely bad take from just a basic story telling standpoint. Having an arc does not mean his personality or morality has to change. I mean, you are essentially echoing Snyder's Jesus metaphor in slightly different words.

I don't agree with that. I feel that in a Superman-centered story -- an origin, or one still dealing with his early years -- it's a big missed opportunity not to create conflict out of the implications of being a mega-powerful god, or an outsider, or having to deal with everyone's expectations, or being painfully aware of the world's suffering, or all of those put together. "What would Superman's inner life be like?" is a genuinely interesting question to build a film around, and a solid audience hook. I think MOS's mistake was answering that with "He'd be a mopey lost soul, incapable of personal interests or human-level skills". But broadly speaking, they had the right idea.

I like, for instance, the idea of exploring a savior complex... the assumption that only he should handle it all, and gradual realization that frail little humans can be just as heroic as he is. Or his admiration of humanity, who accomplish so much while having none of his powers... an ironic inferiority complex. Or creating controversy by taking up a political cause and standing by a principle, á la Cap in Civil War. There's a lot of juice there that none of the movies have tapped into cleverly enough, and I feel it's the only gateway towards making Supes feel truly "modern". I'm not very interested in seeing him framed as a can-do-no-wrong alien for another character's benefit.

Superman should be relatable, probably one of the best of us but still clearly one of us.

I get in general what they were going for with MoS, but honestly I didn't love it. People have already covered my bigger issues (Jonathan Kent, the excessive destruction without stopping to care, the mopey dark Superman, etc). Honestly starting fresh probably be for the best, but I feel like they can still rebound from here.

Feels like in today's world the kind of optimism and positivity of Superman should be needed more than ever. Doesn't have to be a rock that doesn't change, a Jesus metaphor, or perfection incarnate. But just needs to be that optimistic center of a universe that can get pretty dark. DC still has a chance to do things right. You can have the darker broody characters, the optimistic characters, and some comedic ones too. DC is full of heroes across the whole spectrum. Just let Superman be Superman.

Sasha Calle has already been cast as Supergirl so why not have her show up in this film also

Agree with that. I’d love to see Cavill’s Superman as a mentor. Originally I thought to Shazam, but it seems that role is taken

Supergirl obvs works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"