Man of Steel 2 News and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think WB needs to first invest in good writers and keep them around the way Marvel has been able to do. Sure, you want directors to have the freedom to bring in their own writers, but it also never hurts to have writers who can stay with the franchise over the long-term. Also, I don’t think a few recent films have had a good track record with directors who write their own films (looking at Whedon, Ayer and, separately, Rian Johnson, who didn’t have anyone to refine their work).

All that to say I want WB to get writers who can keep some of the things that work about this Superman while discarding what doesn’t/adding what’s missing about the character. And I think there are some key things that could be changed to make this version better.

WB knew what they were getting with Snyder, so the portrayal was partly their doing too; they just lost faith and starting messing with Snyder's films only to make them worse. That means the studio hearing the pitch and the person giving the pitch have to have what critics/fans would feel is a good idea and be on the same page with each other. Full disclosure, though. I'm personally not a fan of McQuarrie's films and don't see how he's a good fit for what this Superman needs.

Please elaborate. Who would you like and what do you feel Superman needs? (Others please answer this question too.)

I think WB needs to first invest in good writers and keep them around the way Marvel has been able to do.

If you look at the body of work for Marvel Writers, who aren't also the directors, outside of Marvel Properties, it's not pretty.

Marvel has maintained it's quality through strict adherence to formula and putting it's writers through Marvel Writing Boot Camp.

Who would you like and what do you feel Superman needs? (Others please answer this question too.)

Doesn't matter, and for his Fans to vanish from the face of the earth

Why? If Superman has minimal fans. Then writers can slap him around with the Marvel Formula and sooner or later he'll be popular with the GA

Please elaborate. Who would you like and what do you feel Superman needs? (Others please answer this question too.)

What I'd like is someone who wouldn't completely ignore the past of DCEU Superman and someone who isn't such an action-oriented director. I want someone who has more of a sense of romanticism and wonder, because I think the next Superman film should be less action oriented, have a smaller budget, and be more intimate and whimsical in a way that can appeal to all audiences but especially children and families. But it shouldn't be silly or quippy so much as warm and charming; it can be serious. I'd like someone who has artistry as well, so that visually the film doesn't feel too off from what we've had before; although I would be happy to see even more color and daylight included. I feel like McQuarrie and Vaughn would be too masculine and heavy handed. Basically, I want someone who can capture on film what Jorge Jimenez does in his artwork and Grant Morrison often does in his writing: a sense of ease. This is an ease that Snyder's work has allowed the character to achieve. He worked hard to develop himself and his relationships both to individuals in his life like Lois and with the public. I want to see the fruit of that.

DbFDAQ3WsAAMleZ.jpg

Some of the things you want I actually would like to see too.

Last edited:
What I'd like is someone who wouldn't completely ignore the past of DCEU Superman and someone who isn't such an action-oriented director. I want someone who has more of a sense of romanticism and wonder, because I think the next Superman film should be less action oriented, have a smaller budget, and be more intimate and whimsical in a way that can appeal to all audiences but especially children and families. But it shouldn't be silly or quippy so much as warm and charming; it can be serious. I'd like someone who has artistry as well, so that visually the film doesn't feel too off from what we've had before; although I would be happy to see even more color and daylight included. I feel like McQuarrie and Vaughn would be too masculine and heavy handed. Basically, I want someone who can capture on film what Jorge Jimenez does in his artwork and Grant Morrison often does in his writing: a sense of ease. This is an ease that Snyder's work has allowed the character to achieve. He worked hard to develop himself and his relationships both to individuals in his life like Lois and with the public. I want to see the fruit of that.

Jorge Jimenez has done a lot of great work with Superman and I can see what you're saying about his work.

I like these ideas of romanticism and wonder.

It's hard to tell what WB would go for- whether they would want to make the most mainstream action movie, with big set pieces, with a director like McQuarrie who could make it like Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. They could want something more 'safe' like that.

MOS was somewhat of a reaction to the backlash against "Superman Returns", where Singer did say he wanted to appeal more to the female audience and then he got criticised that Superman never even throws a punch.

Some great action is always a part of Superman but I see what you're saying. MI: Rogue Nation had great action set pieces but there wasn't too much beyond that.

Some of the things you want I actually would like to see too.

And I think the next Superman film should be capped at $175 million, which can be done with the right director and with Cavill and Amy Adams returning. Marvel did it for Spider-man Homecoming and it looked as good as the pricier Raimi/Webb films ($200M-$300M), if not better in spots.

I would also like to see WB schedule the film sensibly, instead of two weeks after an MCU film. Marvel blew away the typical notions of a blockbuster month, first with Captain America 2 debuting in April 2014 and then Black Panther this past February. It does not have to be a summer or holiday release, it can be highly successful if it's good and marketed well with a proper date.

February is the new March/April. Even early June is promising, as studios tend to avoid the first weekend after Memorial Day.

Yeah. Studios are starting to expand the schedule corridors for blockbuster films such as the aforementioned FEB date. Especially important considering all the CBMs out there now.

Yeah. Studios are starting to expand the schedule corridors for blockbuster films such as the aforementioned FEB date. Especially important considering all the CBMs out there now.

I was actually surprised at first when Fox moved X-Men: Dark Phoenix from November 2, 2018, to February 14, 2019. I guess the third weekend in Nov would really bite into Dark Phoenix's earnings whereas, in February, it has almost a month to itself before Captain Marvel.

And WB probably knew from insider info that Black Panther would be a hit, hence them booking dates in February 2020 and 2021. They just didn't expect it to be a behemoth and cultural phenomenon.

I was actually surprised at first when Fox moved X-Men: Dark Phoenix from November 2, 2018, to February 14, 2019. I guess the third weekend in Nov would really bite into Dark Phoenix's earnings whereas, in February, it has almost a month to itself before Captain Marvel.

And WB probably knew from insider info that Black Panther would be a hit, hence them booking dates in February 2020 and 2021. They just didn't expect it to be a behemoth and cultural phenomenon.

They booked Feb 2021 already? For what film?

There's an untitled WB event film on the slate for Feb 2021.

Yep. And just because it's an "untitled WB event film" doesn't mean it won't be a DC film. WB originally had Wonder Woman 2 for December 2019, which was bookmarked as an "Untitled WB Event Film".

Cheers guys

They could easily do BOP, Batman and Flash in 2020, and put SS2 in the Feb 2021 slot (give Margot Robbie's appearances a year apart).

Heck, maybe put Batgirl in Feb 2022, make it a DC girls month =)

On the El Fanboy Podcast Mario Robles said WBs are looking to have Superman out in 2020.

I listened to his podcast and he really doubles down and triple down on the idea of WB wanting MOS 2 by 2020. Let's hope.

On the El Fanboy Podcast Mario Robles said WBs are looking to have Superman out in 2020.

I listened to his podcast and he really doubles down and triple down on the idea of WB wanting MOS 2 by 2020. Let's hope.

I really want to believe it’s true but I just can’t. Not yet. Not until there’s some proof, like writers and a director. I think we all want MOS 2 by 2020, but I’ve just lost faith in WB. I’m also worried that they are going to be reactionary and just go back to Donner’s approach with a much lower production quality.

I really want to believe it’s true but I just can’t. Not yet. Not until there’s some proof, like writers and a director. I think we all want MOS 2 by 2020, but I’ve just lost faith in WB. I’m also worried that they are going to be reactionary and just go back to Donner’s approach with a much lower production quality.

That's understandable, best to wait and see when somethings made official.

Donner's approach did not have a low production quality, think you need to do some research there. That film was experimental, they had to invent a lot of FX on that film to make us believe a man can fly.

He went the other way and said WB was looking at directors instead of Henry looking for them, but I do hope it becomes true, we will see what happens around JW2/SDCC/MI6.

Also he said SS2 is on the back burner, if its true, damn, I wanted to see G O'Connor's version.

He went the other way and said WB was looking at directors instead of Henry looking for them, but I do hope it becomes true, we will see what happens around JW2/SDCC/MI6.

Also he said SS2 is on the back burner, if its true, damn, I wanted to see G O'Connor's version.

I'm a little skeptical. Including the part that WB has been meeting with directors. I still feel we're at the stage where Henry is doing the legwork and has to bring them to WB but I don't know. As you point out the end of July will be interesting with Comic Con and MI6. I'm using the end of summer as a marker.

What Mario said on the El Fanboy podcast makes sense to me. That they're putting Superman and Wonder Woman front and centre after years of Batman (who is also more uncertain now with Affleck's exit). That they're focusing on solos after JL. That Hamada is doing away with the old ideas like crossover event movies like Flashpoint and Legion of Doom for now.

2020 for Superman sounds good, but also optimistic. Even if it is their goal I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in 2021, though 2020 would be awesome. Just not getting my hopes up yet.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Cavill and his management team are pushing for WB to decide what they really want to do with Cavill as Superman, and that they're all figuring something out. I'm sure they've had those talks if Superman cameos in Shazam!, to figure out some sort of deal. BTW I like the idea that Superman is a mentor to younger heroes like Billy Batson and Barry Allen.

If WB are serious about Superman, then they would have to look at different directors to really decide what sort of approach they want to go for in regards to Superman. They really can't afford to mess up anymore.

I think there's a better chance now than before. With Hamada, the attempt at stabilizing the DCEU with standalone projects, the push from Cavill and his management team. But I'm still in the believe it when I see it mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"