Man of Steel 2 News and Speculation

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by ManWithNoName18, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManWithNoName18 Registered

http://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-puts-man-of-steel-sequel-into-active-development-exclusive/

Superman will fly solo again in a sequel to “Man of Steel” going into active development at Warner Bros., a person familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Released in 2013, produced by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zack Snyder, “Man Of Steel” earned $668 million at the global box office and launched the ambitious DC Cinematic Universe. This summer’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which picked up where that film left off, has pulled in $872 million.

Despite Superman’s battle with Batman, DC has been silent on a sequel to “Man of Steel” featuring Superman solo, leading many frustrated fanboys to believe that another film wasn’t going to happen. But a person close to the project told TheWrap that Superman is a top priority for the studio and getting the character right for audiences is of tantamount importance.

2. ManWithNoName18 Registered

Devin Faraci on matter

Here's what I know about the thinking at DC Films these days: Superman is a priority. The character has been wounded in recent years by Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, and the folks behind the scenes want to rehabilitate the Man of Tomorrow. They want to fix him, make him less mopey and less unsure of his place in the world. They view his upcoming resurrection in Justice League as sort of a soft reboot, an opportunity to right the wrongs that have been done to the Last Son of Krypton.

That new version of Superman will also get a chance at a solo adventure. One time fanboy maven and now trade journalist El Mayimbe reports at The Wrap that WB is moving into active development on a Man of Steel sequel. That's still early days - they still have to figure out stuff like 'the story' and 'the writers' - but it indicates that WB is still dedicated to this character.

Here's the rub: WB has also shown themselves to be highly reactionary when it comes to Superman. Their mistakes with the character on film in recent years have all been examples of over-correcting; when people complained that Superman wasn't heroic and physical enough in Superman Returns they had him level a city in Man of Steel. When people complained he caused too much destruction in Man of Steel they made him hated by people in Batman v Superman, and then killed him off. I hope that they don't overreact to our critiques of Superman in that last film, and that they find the right mixture of goodness and punching *** to make a good Superman movie.

3. Frodo Registered

Faraci's views on another potential Superman solo film is why I'll believe it when I see it . I'm skeptical they'll be really willing to go all in on another solo Superman film before they know how JLA part one does and how the GA responds to it.

4. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

SO happy another Superman solo movie is in development. He is my favourite DC hero and I doubt he will have a huge role in JL so I can't wait for this.

5. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

This is the best comic book news I've heard in a while.

6. mclay18 Registered

If they properly develop the script (and provided Snyder is busy with JL2), I could see this getting a 2019 release. Perhaps it's that November 1, 2019 or April 3, 2020 title?

7. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

Yeah. That's the schedule window I initially thought of too.

8. BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

I have held that hope in my hands.

9. All-Father King of Asgard

I couldn't agree more. Great to know they do want to get him right. Superman and his fans deserve that!

10. Marz69 Registered

11. Mindreaper21 It's Harvest Time

Sweet! Give me Brainiac!

12. Willi Berg On The Run

Yes. Brainiac. Space. Sci-Fi. Go all out.

13. AnneFan Hathaway #1

It is. Very happy to hear it.

14. mclay18 Registered

I thought of it being that October 2018 title, but that's rushing it. And that's probably going to the Batfleck solo -- and he and Geoff Johns have already written the script. So Affleck is going to be in pre-production on that after doing press for Live By Night early next year.

Since WB is actively looking at developing the Man of Steel sequel script, they need to get a good writer, have him or her properly develop it with Geoff Johns, vet it with the studio, and shop the project to directors. And if they can make the sequel for $200M or less, WB will be doubly happy.

I think the November 2019 date works best due to the following:

1) No Marvel Studios titles are scheduled for that frame.
    2) The "Untitled Disney Live-Action Fairy Tale" title for November 8 will draw in different demographics.
    3) Disney will cannibalize each other with two Fairy Tale titles for November 8 and December 20th (they'll probably move the latter due to Wicked's popularity).
    4) Taking a popular franchise title and moving it to a different season has proven beneficial, i.e. Thor moving from summer to fall, Harry Potter alternating between summer and fall seasons.

15. marcvader Lurker #1

This news has breathed life back in to me with regards to the DCEU. I've been in critical condition after BVS and was on life support since seeing SS.

16. Rowsdower! Registered

Same here. I need a Superman movie that rejuvenates interest in the character. They already have the cast (well, Eisenberg sucks, but they don't need him). Now they just need the right script and a director who brings Cavill's natural charisma and charm out instead of one who stifles it.

17. marcvader Lurker #1

18. mclay18 Registered

Eisenberg wasn't bad, he was actually a nice tonic compared to Kevin Spacey and Gene Hackman IMO. The editing on the theatrical cut of BvS didn't do his character any favors.

19. Marvin Registered

"they had him level a city in Man of Steel"
    le sigh.

20. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

WB is definitely using each November for one of their big blockbusters. They got JL for 2017. Fantastic Beasts in 2016 and 2018. So I expect something big for Nov. 2019. It's a reasonable release date at this point.

21. Jonwo Registered

November 2019 or April 2020 would be my choice. I think WB would more likely keep Batman in summer or at a push November. I think October 2018 will be either a Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey film or The Flash since that's know dateless.

I don't see Justice League 2 keeping June 2019 and I reckon that's where Batman will go or possibly May 2019 if they swap it with Minecraft.

22. Chip Chipperson the big guy

everything in this post nails it, especially eisenberg

Jut get a good director for the love of god. Someone that will embrace and capture the true essence of the character we all know and love.

23. mclay18 Registered

If Affleck can make a decent Batman film for $150M or less, I see no reason why we can't have a Batman movie in October 2018. Fall has been good for Affleck's past films like Argo and Gone Baby Gone, and he can make a reasonably budgeted and well-received film. It would break October's opening record by a huge margin, and have good legs.

24. Rowsdower! Registered

Yep. How about the Duffer Brothers? While I don't want ANYTHING to take them away from the next season of Stranger Things, this likely won't go into production for a while. They proved with ST that they can balance dark sci-fi material with family friendly fun and charm. And their designs for the Demogorgon and the Upside-Down looked awesome on a budget that was far less than what WB is spending on these movies. I feel like they could give a Superman movie a Spielberg feel, which could be just what the character needs.

25. Chip Chipperson the big guy

give me moments like this in the next superman movie. This fan film is more superman than anything we've gotten in a long time and its just a video of two people sitting on a bench talking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.