Man of Steel (2013) vs Black Panther (2018)

I thought Black Panther was gonna be just another comic book movie, and it is, but it’s a good one. I’m down with T’Challa.

Man of Steel is ok, but it wasn’t as rewarding as Black Panther was.

I have never questioned the point of a thread before. I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinon, and pretty much everything about cbms should be open for discussion.

Having said that (and also having enjoyed Man of Steel more than Black Panther) I have to say, in terms of the point of this thread.......... really ? I mean really ?

I apologise to the OP if this comes off as rude or condescending, it isn't meant to be, but you might as well have a "which is better thread" for The Dark Knight vs Man of Steel, the Avengers v Man of Steel, Iron Man v Man of Steel and the Godfather v Man of Steel. These are almost non-questions, or at least almost rhetorical questions. We all know the answer.

Black Panther vs Batman Begins or Black Panther vs Iron Man, Black Panther vs Doctor Strange or Black Panther vs Ragnarok leave some room for debate or discussion..

I loved Man of Steel, but I have no illusions about Black Panther being a far superior film in pretty much every way. Black Panther received universal acclaim, has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and over a billion in the bank, whereas Man of Steel made a reasonable $668m (about half of what Black Panther made) but divided fans and critics sharply.

Black Panther is a well directed, well written, well acted story with strong likeable characters (hell, we even like the villains). Man of Steel is a bit hit and miss, and manages to make Superman, the most famous of all Superheroes somewhat likeable (whereas the sequel, B v S manages to make both him and Batman into ****ing *******s (I'm paraphrasing Kevin Smith here) but overloads us with carnage rather than character.

I don't need to get into any of the SJ issues or discussion around Black Panther, because I believe that even if you put aside those aside it's still a very good film. Worthy of Academy awards ? IMO not really, but I can understand why it was so successful, and why Man of Steel wasn't.

I would rather watch Man of Steel any day of the week than Black Panther, but to be honest, the guest appearance Superman made on the Supergirl TV series was probably a better Superman movie.

Again, apologies for any offence to the OP.

My mom, who is a little prejudiced against non white people, liked BP, and said she sided with Killmonger. I don't think she really even remembers MOS.

You keep bringing DCEU movies vs MCU movies is not gonna do the former any favors. The only DC movies than can rival the top MCU ones are the Dark KNight Trilogy.

But to indulge this debate. BP, obviously is a better film. It has a far better film maker, better production designs, villain (although Zod was solid), FAR better supporting cast and title character and overall writing. The only thing MOS surpasses it is action and maybe music.

Man of Steel. Black Panther is tepid until Killmonger takes the throne.

I don't need to get into any of the SJ issues or discussion around Black Panther,
Black Widow did not make an appearance in Black Panther. :oldrazz:

You keep bringing DCEU movies vs MCU movies is not gonna do the former any favors. The only DC movies than can rival the top MCU ones are the Dark Knight Trilogy.
Kevin Feige himself would disagree with you, thanks to the movie that inspired how he manages these movies.

SandyFeistyGossamerwingedbutterfly-small.gif

You keep bringing DCEU movies vs MCU movies is not gonna do the former any favors. The only DC movies than can rival the top MCU ones are the Dark KNight Trilogy.

But to indulge this debate. BP, obviously is a better film. It has a far better film maker, better production designs, villain (although Zod was solid), FAR better supporting cast and title character and overall writing. The only thing MOS surpasses it is action and maybe music.

Yeah, I'd agree that the action in MOS is more intense ( I still think the Smallville Battle holds up favourably against any cbm battle) - although charging Rhinos are always impressive. I loved Zimmer's Superman theme, which was criminaly under-used both in MOS and in B v S.

Otherwise, it isn't even close.

My mom, who is a little prejudiced against non white people, liked BP, and said she sided with Killmonger. I don't think she really even remembers MOS.
Maybe your mom just thought Killimonger was hot ;)

Surprising how much of a beat down Black Panther is giving Man of Steel. Wew

Is it really that surprising?

Man, this is difficult. Two films that bore the Hell out of me... I guess I'll go with the one with better production and cinematography.

It’s like a competition of the 08 Warriors vs Cavs. BP by far

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"