Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else not convinced that Man of Steel 2 will have a bigger opening week than Man of Steel did? Because the cold truth is, a lot of people didn't like the film and it's not just critics. I know all about the audience score, but trust me i've followed the twitter feed enough to tell you i've seen just as many people say they didn't like the film as much as there were those who say they enjoyed it.

I think whether MoS2 is well written film this time around or not, I can't see a bigger opening week being guaranteed at this point.

Actually the truth is that its mixed with Critics and fans.Majority of the audience likes it judging from the numbers.And yes MOS 2 will have a huge opening largely due to the same reason MOS 1 did-Awesome trailers with Superman

Last edited:
Is anyone else not convinced that Man of Steel 2 will have a bigger opening week than Man of Steel did? Because the cold truth is, a lot of people didn't like the film and it's not just critics. I know all about the audience score, but trust me i've followed the twitter feed enough to tell you i've seen just as many people say they didn't like the film as much as there were those who say they enjoyed it.

I think whether MoS2 is well written film this time around or not, I can't see a bigger opening week being guaranteed at this point.
Yes. If it is a summer release, I expect a bigger opening.

Id have to say yeah.
Ill give a personal experience.My sis is not a fan girl isnsead shes your typical Social media nut.And she told me that she heard MOS was bad via Twitter and had no intention of seing it.She howver went with a group of friends(who also heard it was bad)to the cinema to watch it last thurs-simply b/c they were bored.

They came out VERRRRY positive.Calling it a 10/10 and that it was avengers awesome.They were very shocked at the bad reviews they heard on twitter and after slight investigations turns out the bad tweets were from raging fanboys pissed about the changes.
Piont is never understimate fanboy power-it came close to stopping my sis and her friends from watching the movie-it cld do the same for others
I figured as much....I have friends in the same boat....

Wow same situation over here... So, a coworker of mine went to see MOS this weekend. Dude came to work knowing I'm a fan of Superman and told me he hated the movie because too much action, bad story, and bad acting. I told him tell me why you think the story is bad considering this is an origin movie. He of course couldn't explain him self. Once I explain the story to him he was like oh now that makes sense. I also ask why did he think the acting was bad and he said they didn't show any emotion. So I go pointing out all the emotional scene including the last fight with Zod when Superman broke down in tears after he killed Zod... and so he also shut up... I finally ask him did you really not like the movie or are you just hating on it. And of course the truth came out and he said he's a Marvel guy and did admit that it was good but he couldn't come to liking it :whatever:. Thanks for the money buddy... lol... I'm glad the GA loves this movie and hope it brings in 600-700 WW OB.

The term hater gets thrown around way too often (like epic) but a troll and hater are exactly what they are and peoples agenda are too easy to spot when you're a hater.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine on FB always chiming in WAYYY before the movie came out when I would post something. Comments like 'Superman is the worst hero ever' and 'I can't wait until this movie sucks' and 'Spoiler: Superman wins in the end" hateful comments. Needless to say, the big BO June record numbers and the positive people coming on my page saying they loved it shut his pie-hole.

Its simple: HATERS GONNA HATE!

Figuring out the domestic box office for MOS would be easier if you could just keep subtracting 50% from weekend totals. But a 65% drop in week 2 may mean there will be a significant drop in week 3 since two more movies are released.

The term hater gets thrown around way too often (like epic) but a troll and hater are exactly what they are and peoples agenda are too easy to spot when you're a hater.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine on FB always chiming in WAYYY before the movie came out when I would post something. Comments like 'Superman is the worst hero ever' and 'I can't wait until this movie sucks' and 'Spoiler: Superman wins in the end" hateful comments. Needless to say, the big BO June record numbers and the positive people coming on my page saying they loved it shut his pie-hole.

Agree that HATERS will always hate even when they know the movie is better than any of their favorite movie. A shame some critics are like this too... Give a rotten to a movie and even they them-self says in their review they enjoyed it. Let the BO keeping coming in Over Sea... I'm tire of seeing all these hate + Troll...

Figuring out the domestic box office for MOS would be easier if you could just keep subtracting 50% from weekend totals. But a 65% drop in week 2 may mean there will be a significant drop in week 3 since two more movies are released.

Nothing big really coming out this weekend. next big movies hit on Weds July 3rd with Lone Ranger and Despicable Me 2.

I've found that alot of people who have had issues with MOS , has had more to do with them feeling underwhelmed by it, which to me doesn't mean that they hated it.

But yeah, you're always gonna have those who hope for a film to fail or who may go into the thearter with their arms crossed.

Actually the truth is that its mixed with Critics and fans.Majority of the audience likes it judging from the numbers.And yes MOS 2 will have a huge opening largely due to the same reason MOS 1 did-Awesome trailers with Superman

You think those are the main reasons?

Superman is THE most recognised Superhero on the Planet.
Smallville went for 10 seasons.
Christopher Nolan.

- Just because Superman is the most recognized superhero doesn't mean that he's the most likeable, which is significant for the audience. And hence, that's why I brought up audience preconceived notion, because Superman for the most part has been very unlikeable since Superman III. MOS had a tougher challenge to sell audiences because of that (in the same way that Batman Begins had a tougher sell because people lost faith after Batman Forever and Batman & Robin).

- Smallville has nothing to do with BO numbers for MOS...it was a niche product for a niche audience, and even then that show had a lot of problems that even Superfans are mixed about it.

- Christopher Nolan had an extremely small role than most of us expected, he only oversaw script editing and editing while Goyer worked on his ideas. His name was a marketing ploy, but even then it's a niche audience too (Batman fans + Nolan fans in general).

I've found that alot of people who have had issues with MOS , has had more to do with them feeling underwhelmed by it, which to me doesn't mean that they hated it.

But yeah, you're always gonna have those who hope for a film to fail or who may go into the thearter with their arms crossed.

Agreed, I certainly didn't hate the movie, and they got a lot of things right. I just hope next go round they get a different writer. And if people want Justice League to succeed, David Goyer shouldn't be within a thousand yards of that script.

MOS opened on a holiday. The second weekend was always going to get a steep drop.

That and strong competition killed it, not poor WOM/negative reviews.

You can't just say that WOM had nothing to do with it. A lot of people had mixed reaction to the film. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but it's certainly a factor.

You can't just plug your ears and say "everyone likes this film! everyone likes this film!"

BTW, I don't know what holiday is on June 14th, none that's celebrated in the US.

Agreed, I certainly didn't hate the movie, and they got a lot of things right. I just hope next go round they get a different writer. And if people want Justice League to succeed, David Goyer shouldn't be within a thousand yards of that script.

Most people want Goyer gone but that is not happening. He is clearly WB's go to guy. He worked on a Flash script years ago, then obviously TDK trilogy and now MOS. If MOS flopped then yea, he would be gone but it is doing relatively well. That guy is a part of the DCU fabric for WB. For better or worse we are stuck with him. Your only hope would be to have Goyer just write the story and someone else hired to write the screenplay.

You can't just say that WOM had nothing to do with it. A lot of people had mixed reaction to the film. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but it's certainly a factor.

You can't just plug your ears and say "everyone likes this film! everyone likes this film!"

BTW, I don't know what holiday is on June 14th, none that's celebrated in the US.

your father probably hates you waiting for his card

your father probably hates you waiting for his card

Father's day wasn't on the 14th. The post says MoS opened on a holiday. Flag day?

If he was referring to Father's day, I stand corrected, the wording confused me.

Go on to Twitter and type Man of Steel and watch the feed for the next 10 minutes. You'll see plenty of people who were disappointed with it. Here's a few examples that just came in right now:

"Fell asleep for half of Man of Steel."

"I somehow regret watching Man of Steel today :/"

"GAHH Man of steel was so wrong!! so very wrong! better not ruin the chances of the justice league movie to follow!"

"Guy at work keeps trying to point out 'flaws' in Man of Steel. 2day he mentioned innocent ppl getting killed and Supes didn't care."

"In slightly worse news I've heard that Man of Steel is woeful."

"Actually, what "Man of Steel" managed to do was kill my fascination with superhero movies. Dead. Gone. Done."

These just rolled in during the past 5 minutes. I maybe saw 4-5 during that time that say the film was good. But yeah, it's no a vast majority of audiences liking it as some are believing.

Most people want Goyer gone but that is not happening. He is clearly WB's go to guy. He worked on a Flash script years ago, then obviously TDK trilogy and now MOS. If MOS flopped then yea, he would be gone but it is doing relatively well. That guy is a part of the DCU fabric for WB. For better or worse we are stuck with him. Your only hope would be to have Goyer just write the story and someone else hired to write the screenplay.

Jonathan Nolan anyone ? :D

Is there really no way Goyer goes? Why do they think those who did Batman automatically can do Superman.

Goyer doesn't need to go, but he definitely needs help fleshing out a proper script. Man of Steel is quite evident of that.

Is there really no way Goyer goes? Why do they think those who did Batman automatically can do Superman.

Because WB is run by idiots when it comes to handling their DC properties. They have only been saved by themselves by Nolan. But now they think that formula probably works for every superhero. Don't know if you remember back when TDK was released that Jeff Robinov was suggesting that their entire stable of DC superheroes needed to be handled like Batman, that he believed the audience wanted darker portrayals of everyone, including Superman.

goyer is the reason man of steel exists and i honestly want him to stay i thought this take on the legend of Superman was beautiful it really humanized him and made him relatable and even cool to non fans you felt his inner struggles and fear and felt this journey

made lois a stronger character imo and gave zod some depth flash back scenes were very strong and emotional

while script could of been stronger this was not an awful script by any means it is no worse than batman begins

i would like someone like jonah working with goyer since goyer does need work on dialogue and some narrative structure here and there but i felt this script was very solid

i swear people act like he ruined superman and made a script on the level of something like his script of blade trinity now that a terrible script

Go on to Twitter and type Man of Steel and watch the feed for the next 10 minutes. You'll see plenty of people who were disappointed with it. Here's a few examples that just came in right now:

"Fell asleep for half of Man of Steel."

"I somehow regret watching Man of Steel today :/"

"GAHH Man of steel was so wrong!! so very wrong! better not ruin the chances of the justice league movie to follow!"

"Guy at work keeps trying to point out 'flaws' in Man of Steel. 2day he mentioned innocent ppl getting killed and Supes didn't care."

"In slightly worse news I've heard that Man of Steel is woeful."

"Actually, what "Man of Steel" managed to do was kill my fascination with superhero movies. Dead. Gone. Done."

These just rolled in during the past 5 minutes. I maybe saw 4-5 during that time that say the film was good. But yeah, it's no a vast majority of audiences liking it as some are believing.

B.S.!!!!!
I have been following the twitter feeds for days and the overwhelming majority of tweets have been positive.
I guess you just needed to find the right tweets to quote to try to validate your wish that not "a vast majority of audiences" are liking the movie.
You have your agenda to bash MOS.
Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija