Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
The benchmark in the UK is Skyfall, which made £100m (note, £ not $). Probably almost unrepeatable, but it shows what the capacity of the UK market is.

I understand the trend here is a bit different, and people tend to either take to a movie or not. It would generally be recognised that MOS is doing perfectly respectable business.

One would think with one of their own as Superman, this thing should be raking in the cash in droves. I mean, Daniel Craig I can get because he's playing Bond, but Cavill playing Superman... I mean really. :)

It's a shame as I don't believe 'Superman' is particularly represented well with the SR or MoS BO numbers. The numbers just reflect that we haven't had a particularly good Superman movie since Donner's days.

That's just your opinion. This movie has been breaking box office records left and right, but it seems like your dislike for the film is influencing your view of the numbers.

I see you are trying to debunk MOS's success oversea... It's already got great legs oversea and still #1 up against MU and WWZ two big budget films. For MOS of steel to do this while the summer is hot with release... that's success and great WOM/legs going into it's third week of release. I know this version of Superman isn't the want you want from Donnar's Superman but that isn't the only Superman. I'm glad MOS went this route to cut ties with the past and start a new era for Superman. BTW... Oversea GA 90% of the audience love MOS... while in the US 80% of GA loves MOS with 10% mix and 5% hating it. This is all base from user's review...

65% drop off 2nd week. Yeah great WOM. Well done.

I wouldn't particularly say retaining a no1 position ahead of WWZ or MU as high praise. IMDB is sitting at 7.9 currently, and that's with the pre 14th 10/10 (this is the most awesome thing ever fanboy or made up reviews)

WOM is not great on this. A great Superman movie with great WOM would do a lot bigger numbers than MoS is currently and would be a 1 billion shoe in.

I'm impress that in UK Skyfall made that much... I saw Skyfall a few months ago and it was ok but Bonds movie isn't for me...

That's just your opinion. This movie has been breaking box office records left and right, but it seems like your dislike for the film is influencing your view of the numbers.

Ok, I have to ask what records (that means plural) since The Avengers appears to hold the "record for most records broken" as listed here:

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/?page=byrecord&p=.htm

Now I know that MoS set the record for best June opening, but so far that's the only record (that means singular) broken so far. If there's more going on, I'd sure like to know what you're referring to.

Biggest reboot opening and soon to be biggest reboot(domestically) of course :o

they're also comparing it to other so-called reboots, and claiming "records" within this diverse and extremely broad category. It also requires that you ignore all kinds of details that make Superman a unique property and make the "MOST SUCCESFUL REBOOT EVAH" prize unimpressive. Even if it were somehow true.

Biggest reboot opening and soon to be biggest reboot(domestically) of course :o

+ MOS set record of the biggest opening day ever in the Philippines. Remember, that the market is no longer just domestic but International now. They make for more than 60% + of top grossing films.

Correct this is my opinion. Last time I checked I didn't speak for anyone else. However thanks for just confirming that for me.

This movie IS NOT breaking records left and right, or up and down, or here and there. This film is performing modestly considering its budget, marketing and the fact it's title includes one of the most popular fictional characters of all time.

I'm amazed that The Amazing Spider-man didn't make more money domestically, heck even worldwide.

And I certainly never thought Man of Steel would have the opportunity to surpass it at the box office.

Correct this is my opinion. Last time I checked I didn't speak for anyone else. However thanks for just confirming that for me.

This movie IS NOT breaking records left and right, or up and down, or here and there. This film is performing modestly considering its budget, marketing and the fact it's title includes one of the most popular fictional characters of all time.

It doesn't have to break lots of record left and right to be successful. This is a reboot and not even a sequel... Sure Superman is iconic but isn't the one everyone wants to see anymore. That's is being held by Iron Man. Superman is due for a change and MOS did just that. MOS made Superman more interesting now than ever/relatable (no longer a boy-scout Superman). Superman is cool again to the GA and teens... It sets itself up nicely for a sequel. Name a reboot that have to live up to the legacy of a movie like STM and than have to scrub the bad taste of GA of Superman Return. For what it has done so far I'm happy it's being accepted by GA and now we can move forward from the past and into a more interesting Superman DCU future...

Another things that annoys me more and more (I'm in my early thirties, so grumpy old man syndrome is slowly happening) but....

See all this (clutching at straws so called 'records') Highest grossing re-boot etc..

Let's go for, 'biggest opening weekend for a film starring an actor called Henry' or 'Highest grossing movie with the word Steel in it' just beating Steel Magnolias.

The ones that matter are few. Biggest opening day, weekend, overall gross (int and domestic).

Yeah no. 600 million plus should never be considered modest. Its done great and most importantly for WB, it has revived the franchise after the damage superman returns did. People are also looking forward to the sequel whether they loved or disliked the movie. For those who loved it, they want to know if MoS can be topped and for those who disliked it, they want to see if the flaws that were in the movie will be rectified.

Another things that annoys me more and more (I'm in my early thirties, so grumpy old man syndrome is slowly happening) but....

See all this (clutching at straws so called 'records') Highest grossing re-boot etc..

Let's go for, 'biggest opening weekend for a film starring an actor called Henry' or 'Highest grossing movie with the word Steel in it' just beating Steel Magnolias.

The ones that matter are few. Biggest opening day, weekend, overall gross (int and domestic).

This is just the first movie... Superman will have it time to break all the records and those headings will one day be your reality... Just because it doesn't open and blow all the records or BO away doesn't mean it isn't doing well. For a reboot/new franchise MOS is on the right track to achieve great things...

Yeah no. 600 million plus should never be considered modest. Its done great and most importantly for WB, it has revived the franchise after the damage superman returns did. People are also looking forward to the sequel whether they loved or disliked the movie. For those who loved it, they want to know if MoS can be topped and for those who disliked it, they want to see if the flaws that were in the movie will be rectified.

Well said... :applaud

As of today domestic Gross for MOS is $227,840,106. :yay: Would love to see that be $250,000,000 or over by Sunday, but its a long shot I know. :whatever:

This is just the first movie... Superman will have it time to break all the records and those headings will one day be your reality... Just because it doesn't open and blow all the records or BO away doesn't mean it isn't doing well. For a reboot/new franchise MOS is on the right track to achieve great things...

I never mentioned records or it having to achieve such. It was suggested to me by quoting me that MoS was breaking them left and right, which it isn't.

I hope it does well enough, which it will, so we at least get another Superman movie before another 7 years have passed. I just hope it's a better movie than the one I had to wait 7 years for.

As of today domestic Gross for MOS is $227,840,106. :yay: Would love to see that be $250,000,000 or over by Sunday, but its a long shot I know. :whatever:

It should be able to reach 250 if it average about 7.6 Mil Friday-Sunday. I actually hoping it surprise us with more... We'll see... All we have to do is just do your part by going back to see it :woot:

What are Spider-Man's (2002) Box Office numbers adjusted with inflation and 3D ticket pricing? Just curious.

It should be able to reach 250 if it average about 7.6 Mil Friday-Sunday. I actually hoping it surprise us with more... We'll see... All you have to do is just do your part by going back to see it :woot:

Yes, I am seeing MOS again tomorrow even though I want to see WHD. We can't let MOS get lost in the competition. :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"