Man of Steel - worried about Star Trek 2, Iron Man 3, and The Wolverine?

As far as the quality of the film goes, I think it will be solid as well.

I'm skeptical that it will be a better film than "Batman Begins" however. That is a tall order. Nolan's Begins was such a standout film that it completely changed the superhero film genre and even other film genres in how they handle reboots. It was revolutionary to superhero adaptations. So many films have taken inspiration from it. The bar is pretty high.

Each to their own but I think it'l be better, it has the advantage if coming after aswell.

I do think Begins is the greatest of all Bat movies though.

It's funny that this is some sort of versus thread because I want to see all the films in the title. I'm still hoping Supes release date is changed because I can't remember the last time a live action June non 4th of July action film grossed over 200mil in the states.

That Superman Returns made $400 million (in a pre-3D era) is proof enough that the Superman name will carry the box office. Actually make a good movie and its a recipe for some major cash.

That Superman Returns made $400 million (in a pre-3D era) is proof enough that the Superman name will carry the box office. Actually make a good movie and its a recipe for some major cash.

That early June slot is looking better and better.

yeah why do people freak about june lol before 300 and now hunger games march was not an ideal place for a blockbuster to make money

Totally agree that if the move is at least decent and has some next-level visuals it will make serious bank. If its on par with TDK or TA, 1 billion plus is a distinct possibility.

Why should they? Avengers did not make Dark Knight Rises underperform

Because they want to release it on Superman's 75th anniversary. I'm not saying it's intelligent, but there is a somewhat sound marketing reason behind it.

This isn't towards you because you were only simply saying what their plan is... However, a 75th anniversary doesn't mean s**t when you're rebuilding a franchise from the ground up after a terrible "return" of said franchise.

Forget all the sentimental mumbo-jumbo. This movie needs to hit hard. Give the movie a fighting chance. Positioning it for anniversary purposes is irrelevant if it's unappreciated by the majority of viewers. Make it targeted to them by having it on a 4th of July. Not only is the Superman franchise relying on it, but foundation of any potential Justice League movie. If MOS tanks, the way Green Lantern did, the Justice League hopes die along with Snyder's chance to save it in a sequel.

Again, all hypotheticals. I doubt this movie will even come close to GL. But possibilities are possibilities.

The Man of Steel needs and Iron Man 1 start. Coincidentally, Iron Man initiated Phase 1 of the Avengers. This could be the spark DC needs to show light against an all-powerful Marvel. Gotta hand it to them, their planning was great and it yielded great results. Although I'm a Marvel fan, I'd love to see DC step up to the plate. Good for both parties. :supes:

TDKR did not have 3D, plus the shooting incident, etc... It did very well but could have done even better. The Avengers was a fun popcorn flick though. As for the subject, I've read through some of the posts. I think that I've seen so many failed start ups, and even a failed reboot with a returns story, that I am a bit worried of the general audience not showing up with other competition near the same time.

Would it have done better without the tragedy? Zero doubt. The midnight numbers pointed to a $190M 3-day. The tragedy happened, people got (rightfully) scared and many stayed home. Numbers kept going lower and lower to $160M. Still a great number, but clearly effected.

But it still scored $448M despite that. That's a huge number. Nobody is calling that disappointing because it isn't. Whatsoever. With or without the circumstances.

I agree that it did not underperform. However, I believe it could have performed even better with different circumstances. It did very well.

I didn't get to see TDKR until the Sunday of opening weekend. When I did, some guy (who I later found out worked for the theater, though he was wearing plain clothes rather than any sort of uniform) came in and stood in the bottom corner of the theater for 20 minutes or so. Spooked me out considerably, and I don't feel as though I spook easily. I can see how many people would have stayed home entirely.

TDKR would have almost certainly crushed the non 3d record. 30 million in midnights points to ridiculous numbers. It might have touched 90 million Friday and 200m total, though that's best case scenario. But, 20m or 180m total, is the absolute lowest it would have done without the shooting. TDKR was tracking with 6% definite interest than any movie that has opened in the new millennium. The only film on record with higher tracking was Star Wars Episode 1. 52% of Avengers 208m came from 3D tickets. Without the 3d surcharge, that is just a tad behind THE DARK KNIGHT in terms of # tickets sold. TDKR would have totally blown them away without the shooting.

Nobody is saying it cant do s 125m+ opening weekend in June. It would be bucking every trend in existence, though.

I'm so not excited for Wolverine, and I only think Jackman is an O_K Logan... there's plenty of much better actors out there who would be a better fit for the role, but oh well... I'm very much looking forward to both Star Trek 2 and Iron Man 3.. But Man of Steel definitely takes the cake! And I so hope it's gonna triumph all over those other sequels.

I'm only interested in Wolverine because Jackman is a sexy ****ing beast. I mean seeing him half naked made the very, very crappy X-Men Orgins all worth it.

Yes, I'm a very shallow mistress.

While I'd luuurve to see this movie perform, simply because it's Supes, I have a feeling Snyder was a bad choice that's gonna bring this movie down. (that.damn.costume)

Back to the topic: Some of youz are saying that if the movie is a flop then JLA is gonna be called off. I don't believe this. Avengers simply made too much money for WB to not at least give it a shot.

Even if JLA 2015 crashes and burns, as long as Superhero movies are among the top grossing movies (currently they very much are), Warner Bros. will keep trying until they get it right.

The main reason june films have done bad is because they have either sucked or had bad press leading in. The funny thing is, if there was one film smart enough to take advantage of the june slump, it would be smooth sailing.

Look at this year. If only spidey had opened at the beginning of june.
Between the M.night film and the zombie movie I think MOS has a chance(if it's good).

Wolverine on the other hand had to deal with Star Trek and Pacific Rim. And I'm sure IM3 isn't the only big may release. Maybe june isn't so bad.

The power of an incredible trailer. Truly the best teaser for this type of film that I can ever recall. This is going to win the summer, and start a new trend for June films. World War Z, After Earth, and the comedy opening near Superman are all going to look into alternative release dates very, very soon.

This is going to be absolutely huge. W.B. have a mega mega hit on their hands.

I feel great about the trailer, but still a bit worried about the competition. Can't help it! Need the franchise to be successful for more future films!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"