Man of Steel - worried about Star Trek 2, Iron Man 3, and The Wolverine?

I have no doubt this is going to be a huge hit domestic. Highest-grossing reboot even.

But to say its going to trump big sure-thing sequels like Despicable Me 2 and Star Trek Into Darkness is fanboy blubbering. Not happening.

How much do you think domestic? Is $325-$350 possible?

Iron Man 3 Is going to be 2013's highest grossing comic book film.

Man of steel will be hit but who knows what final gross.It wouldn't surprise me If this doesn't match Batman Begins and The Amzing Spider-Man did.

The Wolverine will outgross first Class without a doudt.If It Is good I can see It reaching what Origins and Thor did.

When you consider Iron Man 2 did less than Iron Man Thor:The Dark Word might do less than first Thor.Remember In November Hungar Games:Catching Fire comes out.

$300M domestic.

I think $100M more than SR domestic would be fantastic. Just need it to be strong for possibility of future \S/ films. Who knows, if the first one is respected and the next villain is amazing (TDK) it could become much bigger later even.

I think $100M more than SR domestic would be fantastic. Just need it to be strong for possibility of future \S/ films. Who knows, if the first one is respected and the next villain is amazing (TDK) it could become much bigger later even.

Yeah definitely

$300M domestic.

I disagree.I think that's too optimastic.If Man of steel has people flock to It I can see 200 to 250 Million.It's Iron man III that will hit 300 Million.

X-Men Is my favorate comic but I don't see best case sceniro assuming
The Wolverine Is well quality film It doing more than 180-190 Million.

Batman has always had tendancy to do better than Superman.

Iron Man III will likely do 300-310 Million range and Star Trek:Into Darkness
250 Million range.

$300M domestic.
I think you may be selling MOS short. We're seven months away and already this single trailer has drawn more attention than the major competition (Iron Man 3). Everybody knows Superman and, despite what the Internet may tell us, everybody wants a great Superman movie. If the marketing team keeps this up (and the film delivers), Superman will be THE main attraction of the summer.

I think you may be selling MOS short. We're seven months away and already this single trailer has drawn more attention than the major competition (Iron Man 3). Everybody knows Superman and, despite what the Internet may tell us, everybody wants a great Superman movie. If the marketing team keeps this up (and the film delivers), Superman will be THE main attraction of the summer.

More attention than Iron Man 3?! Stop.

I really dont care , so i cant be worried. I dont make any money from movies , so the last thing on my mind is how much some hollywood *****e is going to make out of a character i loved since very young.

I just hope its a fantastic movie .

Iron Man 3 will be top Comic Book film of 2013.Man of Steel Is batman Begins of Superman not the Dark Knight(although this time I hope Warner Brothers Is going to
put more control over film makers and don't have to reboot again anytime soon these consent reboots are getting trying) and when you adjust for Inflation Batman(1989) did
better than Superman(1978)

Big Question will be how Man of steel does after Iron Man 3 and Star Trek:Into Darkness dominate may.These past several years haven't been that kind for June releases.May and July are when the true summer monsters come out.

It may just be the day-of excitement, but there is much more talk about the MOS trailer today than there was when the IM3 teaser premiered.

It's the day of excitement talking.

Iron Man 3 is being overestimated. But to say this has gotten more attention? Sorry, but that's non-sense.

It may just be the day-of excitement, but there is much more talk about the MOS trailer today than there was when the IM3 teaser premiered.

jokes...im3 trailer was huge

People are going to be psyched for the 3rd and final IM film, but they just saw him soaring across the screen in all his goodness with Avengers. The MOS trailer is stirring quite a buzz today and in no way a negative one. This film may be a surprise hit, guess time will tell.

I have no doubt this is going to be a huge hit domestic. Highest-grossing reboot even.

But to say its going to trump big sure-thing sequels like Despicable Me 2 and Star Trek Into Darkness is fanboy blubbering. Not happening.

I've followed, analyzed, and predicted the box office every weekend for 9 years. Not that what you say is silly, but a few things merit discussion.

1. Star Trek 2 will be much more Iron Man 2 than The Dark Knight. Just as Iron Man 2 barely increased over Iron Man 1, look for the same deal. Star Trek inflates to 84/275. Look for an opening weekend around 120 million, and a finish around 300-315 million. Not too far ahead of your own Man of Steel prediction. ;)

2. Despicable Me 2 is a huge wild card. The lasts one 50/256 gross is outstanding. The only thing I dislike about it is Competition. Monsters University is going to do something like 70-75/250-260ish. This will prevent DM2 from doing, say, 120/450 or something. DM2 will increase significantly over the first one, but it's potential is capped. A 5 day gross of 125 and total around 350 are what I see for it.

3. Iron Man- though the character is popular, it is worth noting that this si 4 Iron Man films in 6 summers. Though Avengers was beloved, Iron Man 2 was hardly overly popular. 4 films is just a lot of one character, espec. back to back summers. Something like 145/325 seems right for it. Iron Mans on the down trend.

Man Of Steel should have no trouble topping 300 million if the footage continues to look good. Superman Returns inflates to 245 million. with 3 D and expanded Imax, like MOS will have, that is right around 280 million. MOS looks far more appealing than SR, and has no Pirates 2. At the very least, I expected a 10% admissions increase over SR for MOS, which put it around $310 million. That is really the tip of the ice berg.

Personally, I am envisioning something like this next June, assuming things go as planned.

-10 millionish in midnights
-50 million Friday = 60 million Opening day
-50 million Saturday
-35 million Sunday = 145 million opening weekend. Easily the biggest June weekend on record. Factoring in 3D and inflation, it is not that far ahead of Toy Story 3.

Good legs. 145/425. My faith in the product & marketing have exploded.

Well have to wait and see you can never predict the box office something could come out near it and just be so explosive it continues to knock everything after it down along the way. We just don't know I just hope it makes enough for us to get a sequel.

MoS - $300 domestic is solid if the film is good.

Nolan's name carries alot of weight with this project. And the trailer is easily better then IM3's. I'll be shocked if this doesn't hit at least 800m ww.

I'll predict 850 -900 m ww

Last edited:
The point that it will likely not take much more than 300 million to defeat Star Trek and Iron Man is not nerdgasming. ;)

Yet you're saying it will hit $400M. Yeah you're totally not nerdgasming and being objective. :dry:

Just. Stop.

Well have to wait and see you can never predict the box office something could come out near it and just be so explosive it continues to knock everything after it down along the way. We just don't know I just hope it makes enough for us to get a sequel.

Its usually pretty easy to tell what will do well and what wont. I knew skyfall was going to break out enormously months in advance, for example. There were a bunch of obvious pointers, and I see them now. Footage, tone of marketing, likelihood of the schedule playing out in favorable conditions- it would be MORE favorable if one of the films around MOS moved, which I suspect may happen now. But I dont see anything in May breaking out to big. Setting MOS up to capitalize. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"