Marie Antoinette - the trailer

DarthSkywalker said:
My money is on eating a lot of cake.

I absolutely love it. Period pieces with style, never bore me especially when they have a writer that can keep it following.

One line will kill this film? One line she very well may not say? She said it was in, never who said it. You give Coppola far to little credit.

so you like period pieces that arent even accurate, wow.

People think she said "Let them eat cake", but she didn't. The whole supposed line was "If they can't afford bread, let them eat cake", but she didn't mean cake as we know it. Cake was a term used for bread that was baked with less flour, thereby lowering the cost.

Just wanted to note that...

GoldenAgeHero said:
so you like period pieces that arent even accurate, wow.

How accurate do you want them? To the point of boredom? THe Untouchables would be unwatchable if they had actually made an "accurate" film. Any story worth putting on film needs to have such a dramatic punch added to them that they never are all that accurate.

If the film flows with strong dialogue and is a visual fest i couldn't really care less how accurate it is. Not like we can offend someone who died over 200 years ago. Oh and its a movie.

Gamma Ray said:
People think she said "Let them eat cake", but she didn't. The whole supposed line was "If they can't afford bread, let them eat cake", but she didn't mean cake as we know it. Cake was a term used for bread that was baked with less flour, thereby lowering the cost.

Just wanted to note that...

Trust me i know. Certain History buffs at other sites have mentioned this about six thousand times. At least your nice about it.

Marie - "You can't get off if you don't get on."

DarthSkywalker said:
One line will kill this film? One line she very well may not say? She said it was in, never who said it. You give Coppola far to little credit.

I'm not saying that one line will kill the movie, but if this one easily avoided mistake made it into the film than there may well be many more mistakes.

From the looks of the trailer, I don't think it's a serious scholarly look at her life. It looks more like a parody. Although it won't be easy to top Mel Brooks' French Revolution in History of The World Part I:

01.jpg

"It's GOOD to be the King!"

I see London...

I see France...

I see Dunst without underpants!

:D

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/14657640.htm

Coppola's 'Marie Antoinette' earns middling response at Cannes
DAVID GERMAIN
Associated Press
CANNES, France - Sofia Coppola may have a bumpy road to match her father's feat of winning the main honor at the Cannes Film Festival.

Reaction at the Cannes Film Festival was mixed Wednesday for her "Marie Antoinette," with some admiring its youthful energy but French critics booing the American filmmaker's take on a pivotal time in France's history.

There were equal amounts of applause and catcalls after the first press screening of "Marie Antoinette," one of 20 films competing for the top prize at the 59th Cannes festival. Sofia's father, Francis Cord Coppola, won in 1979 with "Apocalypse Now."

Coppola initially said she was disappointed to hear about the booing, but later conceded it could be a tough sell for an American filmmaker to present her unorthodox take on a key figure in another country's heritage.

"We always knew that the French are protective of their history, and that's one of the challenges," Coppola, 35, told The Associated Press. "But I wanted to show it in France first, because we made it here and it takes place here."

An Academy Award winner for her "Lost in Translation" screenplay, Coppola adapted her latest movie from Antonia Fraser's biography of Antoinette, the 18th century queen whose extravagant ways preceded - and have been blamed for helping to incite - the French Revolution in which she eventually was beheaded.

"Marie Antoinette" features Kirsten Dunst - the star of Coppola's first film, "The Virgin Suicides" - as the Austrian aristocrat married off in a political union at age 14 to Louis XVI (Jason Schwartzman), heir to the French throne.

The film uses period costumes, and Coppola received permission from the French government to shoot in the palace of Versailles in the locations where events took place.

Yet Coppola presents the story through a 21st century filter, Marie Antoinette's party-girl ways accented by modern pop culture trappings. The driving soundtrack includes Bow Wow Wow doing "I Want Candy" and a cover of "Fools Rush In," while trendy Manolo Blahnik shoes were used to create stylized variations on designer footwear of the era.

"Marie Antoinette," which is scheduled for U.S. release Oct. 13, casts the title character as a well-intentioned teen who was ill-prepared by her mother (Marianne Faithfull) to handle the pressures of court life. The film also features Rip Torn, Judy Davis, Asia Argento and Steve Coogan.

Young Marie is seen as an object of gossip over the years it took her nervous husband to consummate the marriage and produce an heir. Louis seemingly is more interested in hunting and his hobby of making keys.

At a news conference for the film, Coppola was asked if Marie Antoinette was an 18th century variation of the frustrated women on TV's "Desperate Housewives."

"I've never seen 'Desperate Housewives,' but I think, here's this woman, wife, whose husband is not paying attention to her, so she's staying out partying and going shopping," Coppola said. "We've heard that story before."

"Marie Antoinette" was the latest entry in the 12-day festival's main competition that has failed to live up to expectations of critics eager for a film to embrace amid a generally dreary lineup.

The most notable dud was Richard Kelly's sprawling "Southland Tales," starring Sarah Michelle Gellar and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in a combination of black comedy and sci-fi thriller about Los Angeles on the brink of apocalypse in the near future. "Southland Tales" was greeted with almost universal derision.

Richard Linklater's consumer satire "Fast Food Nation" also earned a halfhearted response from Cannes viewers, while Ken Loach's "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" was viewed as a sturdy drama about the fight for Irish independence but not a film worthy of the Palme d'Or, the festival's prestigious top honor.

Since French critics' reaction to "Marie Antoinette" is unlikely to influence the awards jury, "Marie Antoinette" remains a viable contender for the Cannes prize - along with Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's "Babel," a multicultural drama featuring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, and Pedro Almodovar's "Volver," with Penelope Cruz in the tale of three generations of women.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=18849

Heads Up
Empire sees Marie Antoinette…

Another day, another controversial Cannes screening – well, controversial if you're French. This morning saw the first screening of Sofia Coppola's latest, Marie Antoinette, which, based on the novel by Antonia Fraser, follows the life of the Austrian princess turned French queen who was a symbol of late 18th century decadence and lost her head come the French Revolution.

Shot with crisp elegance and featuring a superb soundtrack (including The Cure, Phoenix, New Order and Siouxie And The Banshees, whose Hong Kong Garden plays at a masque ball with excellent A Knight's Tale-style anachronicity), it showcases a great lead performance from Kirsten Dunst, whose wigs become so immense it’s a wonder her neck didn't snap. But Coppola's decision to limit the often light-hearted drama to Antoinette's mostly frivolous time in Versailles and avoid displaying much of the revolution at all didn't go down with some French critics, who clearly felt their history was being mistold.

We're guessing it was mainly this Gallic contingent who delivered the cluster of boos which resonated around the cavernous Lumiere cinema (matched, it should be pointed out, by applause), but when this response was mentioned to Coppola at the press conference afterwards, she seemed rather flustered.

"I didn't know about the boos at the screening," she said. "That's news to me." Her cast then leapt to her rescue. Marianne Faithfull (who plays Antoinette's mother) quipped that we must be talking about the Da Vinci Code screening, Kirsten Dunst chipped in with "Well I liked the movie!" and Steve Coogan, who plays Antoinette's mentor, added, "When you make something which is personal and specific, it's inevitable there will be some naysayers and it's better to have that than to have a bland, uniform kind of response to something. I've seen the film and it's consistent with all the qualities that have made her films brilliant in the past and people who love Sofia Coppola films will love this film."

Coppola also proved strangely reluctant to discuss any political undercurrents in her movie. "I don't find it's my role to make political statements," she insisted. "I think there's elements of the story of how these people [in the Versailles court] are so unaware of the world outside of them that I feel it's relevant to today, but I'm not gonna go as far as talk about that topic."

That was a very odd choice of music for a period piece I must say.

P.S. Don't Let Sofia Copola fool you. The French Revolution was not caused by sending troops to help Revolutionaries in America. That's her revisionist take on things. It was because of the decadent spending of the rich while the poor were being taxed to death. The past is kind of mirroring the present if you ask me.

Well most people outside of history buffs may not know she didnt say that. So what the big deal with it being in there. I love the trailer... does anyone know what song that it and who its by?

I applaude Sophia for switching it up a bit. She's trying to give it a little twist.

Looks like shes trying to give it a lotta twist.

as my friend said, "put 'Age Of Consent' playing under anything and you've got a pretty good trailer."

I'd said almost the same thing about Lost In Translation. "give any filmmaker Bill Murray...and JAPAN, and you'll wind up with a pretty good movie."

So as for the movie? eh.

PowersOfMind said:
Well most people outside of history buffs may not know she didnt say that. So what the big deal with it being in there. I love the trailer... does anyone know what song that it and who its by?

I applaude Sophia for switching it up a bit. She's trying to give it a little twist.

Age of Consent by New Order

Does anyone get the title logo?

Movie looks pretty goofy to me.

picmarieantoinette-4.jpg

I'll watch this just because Steve Coogan is in it.

This movie just annoys the hell out of me. Marie Antoinette as a valley girl? No thank you.

"Like, we should totally let them eat cake. Like, fer sher!" Kirsten Dunst couldn't have been a much worse choice. I saw some interviews over the movie, and she said that she didn't use a French accent to stress how unique Marie was, and I think that's bull****. She couldn't do it, that's what I think.

Demogoblin said:
Sophia Coppola knows that Marie Antoinette never said "Let them eat cake" but decided to put it in the movie anyway.
omg did she actually put that line in the movie? That would piss me off and Im not even French!
Cyclops said:
I saw some interviews over the movie, and she said that she didn't use a French accent to stress how unique Marie was, and I think that's bull****. She couldn't do it, that's what I think.
I agree, Cyclops, that was more than likely a cop-out. But I've never been confident in Kirstens acting abilities. She plays herself well, and thats fine if you like her, which I do. She is this generations Meg Ryan. I read an interview with Dunst about the movie and she said the only thing I know about her is she didn't say ‘Let them eat cake’ and was beheaded.
She obviously didnt take any time researching the role.

green said:
Shot with crisp elegance and featuring a superb soundtrack (including The Cure, Phoenix, New Order and Siouxie And The Banshees, whose Hong Kong Garden plays at a masque ball with excellent A Knight's Tale-style anachronicity)
Well Im glad someone noticed Sofia wasnt the first to use modern music in a period piece. Though Im sure she will get all the credit for it considering A Knights Tale was low budget.

Its suppose to be a modrnized retelling of Marie Antoinette yet in a period setting, nowhere has Coppola ever said it would be historically accurate.
Personally Im quite intrigued by it and cant wait to see what shes done.

Some of you are so uptight.:o

Cyclops said:
This movie just annoys the hell out of me. Marie Antoinette as a valley girl? No thank you.

"Like, we should totally let them eat cake. Like, fer sher!" Kirsten Dunst couldn't have been a much worse choice. I saw some interviews over the movie, and she said that she didn't use a French accent to stress how unique Marie was, and I think that's bull****. She couldn't do it, that's what I think.

but...if she was born and raised in Austria, then why would she have a french accent?

Her accent was supposed to be Viennese. But it was called "valleynese" by critics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"