Mark Millar To Consult On FOX's MARVEL ADAPTATIONS

I'd be a lot more keen on DOFP if Singer hadn't left the production of X3 for that Superman flick, as there'd be a better chance of DOFP fitting in with both the X-Men trilogy and the First Class film. No idea how they tackle Rachel Summers with Cyclops and Jean both being killed off. They either ignore X3 as canon or leave out Rachel entirely.

I don't see a need for Rachel. And given the character selction of First Class, I'd much rather Stewart's Xavier being the one to communicate with the past rather than Kitty with the help of Rachel.

Rachel Summers is pretty boring anyway (so is Franklin, but that's another discussion...)

They did have to allow the Avengers movie to happen, it was happening regardless. They signed a deal to distribute it, and Disney later paid them off so that they could distribute it instead.

Basically their choice was to fund all the marketing and get a cut, or pay for nothing and still get a cut. They had no actual say in the movies Marvel was making.

Well they could of killed it too but why would you do that when you could be making money from spending nothing. The real point here is Viacom/Paramount caught a sweet deal that goes even into Iron Man 3. As added to the last comment. A deal could be made by Fox thats sweet for everybody because reboots don't have the biggest money making record on their own. Maybe try a different approach this time. Marvel has already tipped their hand on it's interest level.

Well they could of killed it too but why would you do that when you could be making money from spending nothing. The real point here is Viacom/Paramount caught a sweet deal that goes even into Iron Man 3. As added to the last comment. A deal could be made by Fox thats sweet for everybody because reboots don't have the biggest money making record on their own. Maybe try a different approach this time. Marvel has already tipped their hand on it's interest level.
How could they have killed it? By breaching their contract to distribute it? Which would have cost them many, many millions in the ensuing lawsuit?

They weren't involved in the actual production of the Marvel movies, just the distribution.

What's dumbfounding to me is that anybody is ok having 2 or 3 Marvel universes coming out in competition with each other after what Marvel Studios did with the Avengers and instead of saying let cooperate with Marvel Studios/Disney and create one Cinematic Universe we are gonna create (Fox) our own universe totally independant of Marvel and/or Sony because were greedy and don't want to share as was evident in the Daredevil Negotiations. So now two teams (FF and X-Men) who have NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER outside of the other intermingling Marvel characters that they have no rights to and force shoe horn a connection will be a EPIC FAIL. And if MM is so knowledgeable about comics (Even based on his writing work with Marvel) he's suggest that a shared universe is best so that he can tell stories without restrictions like his famed Civi War and Old Man Logan work..

Thats why some hope for it to fail because until it does and folks lose money then they won't entertain what's good for the Marvel CBM as a whole.

I know I'm not supporting these Fox shenanigans and will watch the bootleg on purpose just as I did with XM-OW after they robbed me from money watching XM-3 and those two Fantastic Four Movies. I think Fox owes me.

I don't think MM is being brought in to unite FF and X-Men - I think he is being brought in to make sure the franchises work - Fox must be pretty upset about letting the rights to Daredevil expire.

How could they have killed it? By breaching their contract to distribute it? Which would have cost them many, many millions in the ensuing lawsuit?

They weren't involved in the actual production of the Marvel movies, just the distribution.

By not allowing Disney to distribute it and refusing to alter the deal

When Disney bought Marvel then that sort of changed the deal that Marvel (cause the Marvel/Disney isn't the Same Marvel you made the initial deal with) and Paramount made so and Disney themselves might've been a roadblock so the original deal was changed to what is is now. But in reality Paramount probably knew that the Disney buyout of Marvel was happening anyway and was already in front of it. So though they could've been a roadblock they weren't. That what I'm saying I see Fox as a roadblock..

But I get what your saying

I don't think MM is being brought in to unite FF and X-Men - I think he is being brought in to make sure the franchises work - Fox must be pretty upset about letting the rights to Daredevil expire.

what do you think "our shared Marvel universe" means then?

me said:
As far as Paramount my point was they got a cut. They got paid a percentage and it payed off. They didn't have to allow the Avengers movie to happen so they saw something bigger. If not they would have held on until the rights just reverted back on its own

and for the record this quote of mine was incorrect.. Didn't think it through so I already know

FF and X-Men

dumbest thing i've ever heard

Be fair, the classic FF vs X-Men crossover mini from the. . . late 80s I think? It was awesome, one of the best X-Men *and* Fantastic Four comics out there.

By not allowing Disney to distribute it and refusing to alter the deal

When Disney bought Marvel then that sort of changed the deal that Marvel (cause the Marvel/Disney isn't the Same Marvel you made the initial deal with) and Paramount made so and Disney themselves might've been a roadblock so the original deal was changed to what is is now. But in reality Paramount probably knew that the Disney buyout of Marvel was happening anyway and was already in front of it. So though they could've been a roadblock they weren't. That what I'm saying I see Fox as a roadblock..

But I get what your saying

I don't think even that would have killed it, since its not like Paramount was going to get all the revenue. Worst case scenario for Disney would be, they/Marvel get a smaller cut of the profits than they otherwise would. It'd still make Marvel Studios a good long term investment, since Avengers was the last film under the Paramount distribution contract, IIRC.

I suppose Paramount could insist on sticking to their old contract, and then try and sabotage the movie, but I imagine the old contract had clauses to prevent things like "no advertising" anyway. And besides which, that would be actively throwing away money purely out of spite.

Be fair, the classic FF vs X-Men crossover mini from the. . . late 80s I think? It was awesome, one of the best X-Men *and* Fantastic Four comics out there.

Oh yeah.. Forgot about that too Late 80's

X-Men- Reed, Please save Kitty
Reed- I can't, sorry
X-Men- Oh yeah well were just gonna kick your A$$ then!! Guard your GRILL!!!

hmm.. Not really, the story I wanna see on screen

I don't think even that would have killed it, since its not like Paramount was going to get all the revenue. Worst case scenario for Disney would be, they/Marvel get a smaller cut of the profits than they otherwise would. It'd still make Marvel Studios a good long term investment, since Avengers was the last film under the Paramount distribution contract, IIRC.

I suppose Paramount could insist on sticking to their old contract, and then try and sabotage the movie, but I imagine the old contract had clauses to prevent things like "no advertising" anyway. And besides which, that would be actively throwing away money purely out of spite.
Let me gently correct you. The old Paramount contract lasted through Iron Man 3. When Disney bought Marvel, they made a deal with to get the distribution rights from Paramount for the last two of those movies, Avengers and Iron Man 3, granted that Paramount's logo would still show up in those movies--in the trailers, in the beginning of each movie, etc. So Avengers was the first film that Disney distributed, and Iron Man 3 will be the last movie where Paramount's logo will appear.

What great leverage to have. You got the rights to M&D but instead you could either take a Lump sum or get 8% from the Avengers and 9% from next years IM3

Yep. So the payoff for Marvel. To tell the story you want to without puss-footing around characters that you have no right to. EPIC=$$$$$$ Payoff for Marvel. You get more time to make your FF reboot, have the characters introduced in a bonafied Smash in Avengers II which you're now a part of Phase 3, Fox Makes,Markets And Distributes on the coat tails of a successful franchise and not be worried about being associated with Tim Storys FF and maybe Marvel will waive their licensing fee. Something Fox was on the hook to pay anyway. EPIC=$$$$$$

And they (Fox) can still put out a X-Men based movie a year..

To me. Not considering this is out of spite because I don't think Josh or Mark can save the FF-reboot from its own past.. For most of the GA those Tim Story movies was the introduction to the FF.. Thats bad news. The best reboot is through the MCU.

I don't see a need for Rachel. And given the character selction of First Class, I'd much rather Stewart's Xavier being the one to communicate with the past rather than Kitty with the help of Rachel.

Fair point. As it's a sequel to First Class then it'd make more sense. I am interested to see how they use DOFP, and whether they use it to bridge the prequels with the first series of films.

Only question about using Stewart's Xavier would be his death in X3 - would they use Patrick Stewart? I know the post-credits sequence used his voice, but wasn't he in the body of a previously comatose man?

I wonder what the young Mystique would make of encountering her de-powered self from the future! :wow:

Fair point. As it's a sequel to First Class then it'd make more sense. I am interested to see how they use DOFP, and whether they use it to bridge the prequels with the first series of films.

Only question about using Stewart's Xavier would be his death in X3 - would they use Patrick Stewart? I know the post-credits sequence used his voice, but wasn't he in the body of a previously comatose man?

I wonder what the young Mystique would make of encountering her de-powered self from the future! :wow:

Thats a easy fix. some Men IN Black suits are gonna be at the movie theaters tell us to look at this flash device and then tell us XM3-LS and XMO-W never happened and enjoy the movie..

Its clear they want to open up the X universe. Singer confirmed that they wanted to do that as well earlier this year. Having someone who knows that history better then any exec is gonna help them out alot with future continuity and planning. Right now they have a ****load of characters that they are not doing anyting with. Fox had to have realized with Avengers that they have the possibility to make the X Universe on a much grander scale. They are def gonna need help doing that, getting Millar is a great start.

Mark Miller has no exceperence with 616 marvel universe.That Is marvel universe I am
fan of not ultimate Universe.why not get a real classic x-men writer to consult on those films and a reall FF writer to consult on FF.

Mark Miller has no exceperence with 616 marvel universe.That Is marvel universe I am
fan of not ultimate Universe.why not get a real classic x-men writer to consult on those films and a reall FF writer to consult on FF.

He does have experience with 616. He wrote Wolverine and Civil War. Cant write Ultimate without prior knowledge to why or how these characters work in 616.

well marvel studios isn't even doing 616 lol why would you expect fox to?

He admited when he was hired to write ultimate X-Men he knew nothing about X-Men comics.Yes he aso said he later looked at some of 616 comics that doesn't change the fact he was an ultimate universe writer and Is known for radical changes to characters.
Hiring Millar as consult can mean Fox will say screw 616 Universe we only care about looking at Ultimate line for our marvel films.Millar has never written for real marvel universe.This doesn't excite me at all.

Hes aware of who the X Men are, if he didnt have prior knowledge before he wrote Ultimate X Men he is well versed now. He is aware of the difference. The next film is going into 811 territory and will probably have big changes from the book. There have already been strong changes from the comics in FC. Didnt stop it from being good. I would prefer we had a faithful 616 adaptation for X Men but thats probably not gonna happen as long as they keep within their film continuity.

Millar has never written for real marvel universe.This doesn't excite me at all.

Well he did write Civil War. Which was very successful...at turning Tony Stark into an utter DB. :whatever:

Look, The Ultimates 1 & 2 featured outstanding stories, some of the best artwork I've seen in the medium, truly reinvigorated The Avengers, and proved that this type of story could work on the big screen. I remain a fan of them overall. However the characterization of most of the main characters was far from appealing and essentially ever character was reduced to some absurd "shock" factor.

The rest of his work is largely dreadful IMHO. He often relies on shock value, purely for shock value's sake. This combined with Fox's largely weak track record, and the fact that X-Men and Fantastic Four make little sense in a shared universe together, just doesn't instill me with confidence that this is going to work.

Besides this makes it near impossible for Silver Surfer, Galactus, and Dr. Doom to return to the MCU where they belong. They are the last true missing pieces for a truly epic Marvel space saga; which Marvel/Dinsey is clearly in the process of building.

This combined with Fox's largely weak track record, and the fact that X-Men and Fantastic Four make little sense in a shared universe together, just doesn't instill me with confidence that this is going to work.

Is it even confirmed they are trying to crossover FF and X Men? Besides Franklin Richards in a possible DOFP role, I really dont see them doing that.

While FF def belongs at Marvel, X Men has enough characters and stories to run on its own for a very long time. Marvel and Fox both have Wanda and Pietro, which are the only two X Men I think probably need to be on both sides.

Last edited:
Is it even confirmed they are trying to crossover FF and X Men? Besides Franklin Richards in a possible DOFP role, I really dont see them doing that.

While FF def belongs at Marvel, X Men has enough characters and stories to run on its own for a very long time. Marvel and Fox both have Wanda and Pietro, which are the only two X Men I think probably need to be on both sides.

Well...

Commented TCF production president Emma Watts: “We are excited to be working with Mark. In addition to his groundbreaking Marvel work, he is simply one of the most original voices in comics today and will be an invaluable resource to us and to our filmmakers as we look for fresh opportunities to innovate within our shared Marvel universe

If somebody, ANYBODY can tell me WTF that really means, then we can stop assuming. But, I know what that sounds like to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"