Mark Millar To Consult On FOX's MARVEL ADAPTATIONS

I hope Miller does well. Xmen/FF crossover is kind of odd. I don't think I've ever really seen them mix up to much in the comics. But if they use SS, Galactus, the Phoenix(done right)and the Xmen's space characters, it has a chance to work. I mean, the Space Jammers, Galactus, the Negative Zone, it could be a different kind of Annihilation.

Sounds promising but Fox wouldn't do that.

Plus they can barely make a decent X-men film.

Call me crazy but isn't that point of hiring Miller? :huh:

This is the same company that asked Joss Whedon to rewrite X-men once upon a time. But then rejected it, saying that they only wanted him to add a few zingers in the original script, not change the whole thing.

Perhaps Millar promised to add some zingers while advising, since he doesn't have much of a T.V. show or film resume that I'm aware of.

So once again I ask the question, does Mark Millar equate to Joss Whendon?

Last edited:
No, he does not.

That's not fair. That's comparing apples with oranges. The last thing we need is for the Marvel Universe to be identical with everything, same jokes, same style etc.

It's not like you can test them numerically. Talent is talent.

I have a love hate relationship with the works of Mark Millar. I hope he embraces more of his solid story telling and less of his cynical nonsense, over the top violence, crude sexual humor, and irritating political soap boxing.

I'm interested to see what happens with Millar and Fox.
Maybe i'm just easily pleased but i'm excited to see what happens.
For what it's worth I enjoyed X1,X2,and first class. For a while I think it was debatable X2 was the best super hero movie around next to Spiderman 2.

I think Fox hitting some potholes though might have really helped Marvel in their movie making. Sure I can't prove it but I can't help but wonder if they said "This is where Fox went wrong,we can do better."
And now that we see what a super hero film can be on a large scale maybe fox will go to extra lengths to make better films in the future?
Marvel upped the game I think,and I doubt anyone making a superhero film now is going to be able to cop out and expect to make amazing returns. Maybe it's a naive hope but I'm praying all this competition makes fox put out better movies.

Just for fun, imagine an alternate universe where X1 bombed horribly and failed. Would any of us be on these forums now?
Would it have made a significant difference in super hero movies or would it have went on as it does now?
Maybe Fox is like a mother neglecting her children?
Maybe i have parental issues?
Is Marvel the cool uncle that show us all the things our restricting mother never would let us?
What would Freud say of all this?

Last edited:
yeah thats overstating it. Fox is 3 out of 5 in making decent (x-men, xmfc) to great (x2) x movies.

That's not fair. That's comparing apples with oranges. The last thing we need is for the Marvel Universe to be identical with everything, same jokes, same style etc.

It's not like you can test them numerically. Talent is talent.

Both Joss and Mark hired to perform the adviser role for upcoming comic book films.

So why the mixed fruit reference?

Nonsense.

The last five comic book films made by Fox have all under-performed, either box office wise, quality wise or both in some cases.

You're welcome to your opinion but the disappointing number's and this desperate attempt at hiring Millar to follow in Marvel Studios speaks for itself.

Both Joss and Mark hired to perform the adviser role for upcoming comic book films.

So why the mixed fruit reference?

Because they're completely different writers with completely different styles.

Me thinks Mark Millar will produce and possibly direct the Fantastic Four reboot.

Because they're completely different writers with completely different styles.

And Joss is actually directing Avengers 2 so he's advising with a larger purpose and if Fox does give Mark the power equal to Joss in the MCU, Only God knows what Fox product will get...

This is the same company that asked Joss Whedon to rewrite X-men once upon a time. But then rejected it, saying that they only wanted him to add a few zingers in the original script, not change the whole thing.

Perhaps Millar promised to add some zingers while advising, since he doesn't have much of a T.V. show or film resume that I'm aware of.

So once again I ask the question, does Mark Millar equate to Joss Whendon?

Though, in Fox's defense, their choices led to the X-Men film we got, which is widely liked by both fans and critics.

Except for the one line that I always hear ppl bash (though I personally loved it). Storm's "Do you know what happens to a toad" bit was one of the few surviving things from Whedon's script.

So if that got such a negative response, maybe his X-Men was a little off the mark.

Having Miller is not the greatest thing Fox could have ever done in the history of comic-book making, but it's not something to get pissed at. He knows comics, he's had some successes. Let him put in his 2 cents. See what happens

Though, in Fox's defense, their choices led to the X-Men film we got, which is widely liked by both fans and critics.

Except for the one line that I always hear ppl bash (though I personally loved it). Storm's "Do you know what happens to a toad" bit was one of the few surviving things from Whedon's script.

So if that got such a negative response, maybe his X-Men was a little off the mark.

Having Miller is not the greatest thing Fox could have ever done in the history of comic-book making, but it's not something to get pissed at. He knows comics, he's had some successes. Let him put in his 2 cents. See what happens

That's because Fox had no real competition. They saw what Blade did at the Box office (with an R rating mind you) And did their thing.

Plus we honestly had no scale to rate it on. Most fans were just happy to be getting an X-men film back then. But even then I didn't act like the original X-men film didn't have it's problems.

And considering what FOX-Men's continuity (or lack there of) has come down to. I feel that bringing up Whendon's rejected script has precedence when looking at what he did for the Avengers.

The avengers $1,511,757,910 (1 team movie)

x-men $296,339,527
x-men 2 $407,711,549
x-men 3 $459,359,555
x-men first class $359,624,124

total $1,523,034,755 (4 team movies)

Last edited:
That's because Fox had no real competition. They saw what Blade did at the Box office (with an R rating mind you) And did their thing.

Plus we honestly had no scale to rate it on. Most fans were just happy to be getting an X-men film back then. But even then I didn't act like the original X-men film didn't have it's problems.

And considering what FOX-Men's continuity (or lack there of) has come down to. I feel that bringing up Whendon's rejected script has precedence when looking at what he did for the Avengers.

x-men $296,339,527
x-men 2 $407,711,549
x-men 3 $459,359,555

Even though I agree, Box office math for Avengers vs the X-Men BO numbers one has to consider the Price of Inflation & The 3D Up charge to be fair. So its not that cut & dry

x-men $296,339,527
x-men 2 $407,711,549
x-men 3 $459,359,555

Avengers also had 4 prior films building up to it, so it's not so cut and dry like you're making it.

And you're right, X-Men came out in a very different time for CBMs. I'd argue that without X-Men's original success, the genre wouldn't have taken off.

So, if anything, I'd attribute interest in the superhero genre, and subsequently the record-breaking Avengers, to X1, its sequels and the films that were greenlit following its success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"