Comics Marvel Action - Spider-Man

Nicko-Ray

Madness
Reaction score
Guess I had to start a new thread for this.

I saw this #1 at my shop the other day and picked it up. Idk why this flew by my radar but did my research and it's supposed to be a more "kid-friendly" title / for new readers? Also in partnership with IDW? Did anyone else know about this? How's it so far?

Also the release dates for these are a bit confusing. I think I saw #1 came out in November but I'm not too sure. I think #2 is barely coming out next month...kind of strange if you ask me.

Guess I had to start a new thread for this.

I saw this #1 at my shop the other day and picked it up. Idk why this flew by my radar but did my research and it's supposed to be a more "kid-friendly" title / for new readers? Also in partnership with IDW? Did anyone else know about this? How's it so far?

Also the release dates for these are a bit confusing. I think I saw #1 came out in November but I'm not too sure. I think #2 is barely coming out next month...kind of strange if you ask me.

My son picked up the first issue of this, I think? It has Spider-Gwen, Miles, and Peter on the cover (?).

It looks okay. He flipped through it, but I haven't checked it out, yet.

I think the problem with Marvel's "all ages" books is that they are, well, inconsequential. Amazing Spider-man should be all ages. Honestly, I don't see a lot in there that isn't. My son is 7, and not the best reader, but he would rather sit there with an issue of ASM or something than a kid-friendly title. He likes Miles the best of all, so he picked it up. He thinks of Miles as a kid, which makes him like him more. Peter is a grown-up to him...even in Homecoming/MCU. Simply because it's Peter. He's liked Miles since he popped up in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and I had to explain who he was, knowing next to nothing about him.

My son picked up the first issue of this, I think? It has Spider-Gwen, Miles, and Peter on the cover (?).

It looks okay. He flipped through it, but I haven't checked it out, yet.

I think the problem with Marvel's "all ages" books is that they are, well, inconsequential. Amazing Spider-man should be all ages. Honestly, I don't see a lot in there that isn't. My son is 7, and not the best reader, but he would rather sit there with an issue of ASM or something than a kid-friendly title. He likes Miles the best of all, so he picked it up. He thinks of Miles as a kid, which makes him like him more. Peter is a grown-up to him...even in Homecoming/MCU. Simply because it's Peter. He's liked Miles since he popped up in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and I had to explain who he was, knowing next to nothing about him.
Interesting. New generation, man. Truly is.

I read #1 of this last night -- ngl, I enjoyed it hah. The art was good, too. Felt like a "real" title. Sometimes more "kid-friendly" titles or even movie adaptation titles/preludes have art that doesn't really feel "established". The issue actually kind of reminded me of SPIDEY, which I also really liked and was sad that it got canceled. Also, ngl, I might enjoy this more than the main ASM title. I enjoyed the last arc with JJJ but the title overall has been a bit on the mediocre side for me lately. I enjoyed BACK TO BASICS. The Boomerang arc with the Bar with No Name was kinda cool. Thieves Guild was my least favorite although I loved the MJ stuff with Jarvis. Just hoping it picks up with HUNTED.

Interesting. New generation, man. Truly is.

I read #1 of this last night -- ngl, I enjoyed it hah. The art was good, too. Felt like a "real" title. Sometimes more "kid-friendly" titles or even movie adaptation titles/preludes have art that doesn't really feel "established". The issue actually kind of reminded me of SPIDEY, which I also really liked and was sad that it got canceled. Also, ngl, I might enjoy this more than the main ASM title. I enjoyed the last arc with JJJ but the title overall has been a bit on the mediocre side for me lately. I enjoyed BACK TO BASICS. The Boomerang arc with the Bar with No Name was kinda cool. Thieves Guild was my least favorite although I loved the MJ stuff with Jarvis. Just hoping it picks up with HUNTED.

Spidey was the BEST!! Nick Bradshaw's art in the beginning was beautiful, too! I was sad when he left, but that story rocked all the way until the end. The fact that they didn't do a nice oversized hardcover of it saddens me something fierce.

Spidey was the BEST!! Nick Bradshaw's art in the beginning was beautiful, too! I was sad when he left, but that story rocked all the way until the end. The fact that they didn't do a nice oversized hardcover of it saddens me something fierce.
Yes! What a shame, right? Didn't Bradshaw do the whole run? I remember it being consistent throughout. Did you pick up MASTER PLAN which Robbie did next? Wish that was a full on arc rather than long issue but 'twas good! You should pick up Marvel Action Spider-Man.

Yes! What a shame, right? Didn't Bradshaw do the whole run? I remember it being consistent throughout. Did you pick up MASTER PLAN which Robbie did next? Wish that was a full on arc rather than long issue but 'twas good! You should pick up Marvel Action Spider-Man.

I thought Nick left about issue 5 or so. I remember because they continued to use his intro, He continued to do the covers, too, and the art afterwards was so different. Not BAD, but not Nick. His Sandman issue alone was worth the price of admission.

I thought Nick left about issue 5 or so. I remember because they continued to use his intro, He continued to do the covers, too, and the art afterwards was so different. Not BAD, but not Nick. His Sandman issue alone was worth the price of admission.
You know what...I think I do remember that. The art was more minimal, right? I think around the Black Panther team-up issue..

You know what...I think I do remember that. The art was more minimal, right? I think around the Black Panther team-up issue..
That was the one! I remember that one vividly as being much more simple. NOT BAD, just more minimalist in its approach.

Minimalist art is one of those things where imo what's going on within the story really dictates how I respond to it. Overall though I'm not a fan of the minimalist approach but I have enjoyed it in certain instances.

That was the one! I remember that one vividly as being much more simple. NOT BAD, just more minimalist in its approach.
I thought it fit! And didn't mind it at all. But yes I prefer Bradshaw more.

Minimalist art is one of those things where imo what's going on within the story really dictates how I respond to it. Overall though I'm not a fan of the minimalist approach but I have enjoyed it in certain instances.
That's agreed. I really like the minimalist approach -- of course, depending -- like you said. Take Marcos Martin in the MYSTERIOSO arc for example. Awesome stuff. And that arc deals with some deep(er) things to Peter's psyche.

That's agreed. I really like the minimalist approach -- of course, depending -- like you said. Take Marcos Martin in the MYSTERIOSO arc for example. Awesome stuff. And that arc deals with some deep(er) things to Peter's psyche.
Martin is awesome. I still love his covers he did for Spidey's 50th. I nabbed the 70s Gwen cover and the 80s Black suit cover.

Also, my son and I read the Marvel Action Spider-Man #1 last night (he even did a response for his reading homework on it), and it was pretty solid. VERY Spidey-esque. Reminded me a lot of that comic. Art was pretty good, too.

Martin is awesome. I still love his covers he did for Spidey's 50th. I nabbed the 70s Gwen cover and the 80s Black suit cover.

Also, my son and I read the Marvel Action Spider-Man #1 last night (he even did a response for his reading homework on it), and it was pretty solid. VERY Spidey-esque. Reminded me a lot of that comic. Art was pretty good, too.

I love Martin.

And based on you guys recommending this series, I just may have to check this out.

Man..I remember when those came out! I ended up getting all of em. They're sweet.

Awesome! Yeah, I'm a bit sad that it doesn't feel like a "real title" and the distribution feels off. Idk if it really came out in November or just last week...but if it WAS last Nov, #2 being in March is a huge delay.

I love Martin.

And based on you guys recommending this series, I just may have to check this out.
Dude, yes! Curious your thoughts. You'll dig the first issue. Especially if you dug SPIDEY.

Man..I remember when those came out! I ended up getting all of em. They're sweet.

Awesome! Yeah, I'm a bit sad that it doesn't feel like a "real title" and the distribution feels off. Idk if it really came out in November or just last week...but if it WAS last Nov, #2 being in March is a huge delay.

Dude, yes! Curious your thoughts. You'll dig the first issue. Especially if you dug SPIDEY.

So...I went to buy a digital version of this comic but I couldn't find it...is Marvel Action Spider-Man the actual title?

You guys are making me want to read both Spidey and now this one.
How long did Spidey run for?

You guys are making me want to read both Spidey and now this one.
How long did Spidey run for?
Two trades so like 10-12 issues? Bummer. But it’s Spider-Man stories like that that I crave. They’re simple but also managed to get a bit wild with the crossovers and it felt right. You’ll see.

Two trades so like 10-12 issues? Bummer. But it’s Spider-Man stories like that that I crave. They’re simple but also managed to get a bit wild with the crossovers and it felt right. You’ll see.

THIS.
Yep. Good stuff. It also had a very nice way of telling classic Spidey tales without rehashing it. It added its own stamp without changing the character to do it.

THIS.
Yep. Good stuff. It also had a very nice way of telling classic Spidey tales without rehashing it. It added its own stamp without changing the character to do it.
So, it's a better Chapter One and better Ultimate?

Cross-overs? What'd it cross over with?
Whoops. Maybe the wrong term. I was referring to when other Marvel characters would pop up in the story.

THIS.
Yes! Exactly. It was a good premise. After the spider bite/wrestling section of his life, but before he was really established.

So, it's a better Chapter One and better Ultimate?
"Better Chapter One"? I can't imagine a WORSE Spidey origin than Crapper One. As for Ultimate, it was it's own thing. Spidey and Marvel Action Spidey are more folded into the MU without changing it. USM was a new thing. I like USM...for the most part. Haven't read it in years, though. I know the end showed the signs of wear. Of course, I remember when it started and the hook was, "Great heroes without all the continuity", that it was doomed from the start. Once you get past 50 or so issues, that tagline becomes redundant, as you now have a continuity to follow.

UltimateSpider-Man had continuity when the first issue came out. They reference 15+ years of history in the first issue. Lol.
I really loved Ultimate until we got to the Venom arc. That's where it started to falter for me.

UltimateSpider-Man had continuity when the first issue came out. They reference 15+ years of history in the first issue. Lol.
I really loved Ultimate until we got to the Venom arc. That's where it started to falter for me.

True. I (fondly) remember the USM game, and, when playing THAT Venom story, I remember thinking to myself, "WHY didn't you do THIS in the comics?!"

I lost interest with the David Lafuente drawn reboot. The art just killed it for me. Then they literally killed off Peter, and I never looked back. I like Miles, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"