Marvel Announces Origins

While I have really enjoyed the Dillion/Way team ups so far, I'm still gonna skip this. If the buzz is good I may grab it in trade. I need to cut down on spending and to tell you the truth, I'm rather sick of the character.

When did Wolverine gain all this attention in the last few years he's had? I don't recall the character having this much attention.

Where've you been? Since th' 80s Wolverine's been Marvel's most popular character. Although when marketin' began to play a bigger part in th' industry's when they began to get a little crazy. If a title was doin' bad, they'd either stick Wolvie or Spidey in as a guest start to boost sales.

I know, Wolverine is Marvel's second most popular character. I just don't recall everything is Wolverine.

White_Howling said:
sigh are they that broke? why must they milk wolverine for more money

WOLORIG001_COV_150.jpg

I have to say that im taking it a bit hard,i remember classic adventures with Wolverine in Madripoor and early adventures.That was Wolverine.

I would have prefered Chris Claremont,the best X-Men writer besides Stan Lee`s approach.Never reveil Logan`s origin,just bits and pieces.Logan is the essence of mystery,it suits him perfectly.

But no,Marvel is indeed milking him.I can imagine that they are broke :unishr: and using their characters for extra money,and letting writers like Bendis have their way with Marvel.

Its doubtful ill ever accept Wolverine with a full memory,it just says "Weapon X,Sabertooth encounters,Team X and Alpha Flight have all been reconted" :(

I like that he's being dropped from 2 of the regular X-Books. I may buy this, but if I do, I'll probably drop the other Wolverine title.

Oh, I'll read them both since they will reportedly be so different. I agree that Wolverine is over used, but sadly, I am one of those that still reads him anyway. :)

It does make sense to take Wolverine off Uncanny and X-Men since he'll essentially have two solo's at once, plus Astonishing (which is switching to bimonthly in 2006, and will likely be late at that) is sort of a "rare" comic in a yearly basis. They only had 5 issues in 2005.

And while it seems silly that he's switching to his brown costume, I do like it, and it did represent his "loner" side as he wore it in honor of Mariko way back (just never told anyone). I always liked the "samurai Logan" angle, so we'll see what my mood is and how thick my wallet is when this launches.

Dread said:
And of course that doesn't include any other side mini's or event mini's or Ultimate mini's (like ULTIMATE X4 or ULTIMATE WOLVERINE VS. HULK).

To be fair, though, ASTONISHING X-MEN doesn't come out frequently and given how they're announcing it as "bimonthly" for 2006, means that at most it'll have 6 issues this year. In 2005 they only shipped 5 issues, and late ones at that. Methinks while the title sells very well, Marvel knows better than to plan ASTONISHING as the flagship X-book, as it is rarely out.

And before someone mentions it, yes, DC does the same thing with Superman and Batman. And it's not right when they do it, either. There, happy? Covered that excuse? Good. In the real world, "he does it too!" stops working to accurately defend your position outside of the first grade schoolyard. Shame many adults haven't realized this.

The irony is that X-23, not Wolverine, had the power to up the sales of a book by no other virtue than a guest appearence last year. And I don't care for her much either.

I'd like to mention that by march, Superman will only have two books, while Batman is having one book cancelled....

But as for the news...couldnt they do this in his regular book? I'm sorry, but lets face it...the Wolverine book has the same things happening again and again...battles with Ninjas, Sabertooth, Weapon X, Deathstrike, etc

That's I said. Tell the tale in Wolverine. But no, they need an entirely different and new book to tell his origin.

The Batman said:
But as for the news...couldnt they do this in his regular book? I'm sorry, but lets face it...the Wolverine book has the same things happening again and again...battles with Ninjas, Sabertooth, Weapon X, Deathstrike, etc
That is still very true. Origins could just as easily be done in his main book; in fact, that'd make the most sense. But you could say that about a lot of mini's that characters have, unfortunately.

Its stupid, IMO, how both DC and marvel try to make 90 books on their most popular characters. I'd rather have all fans read 1-3 books than have 7 or 10

The Batman said:
Its stupid, IMO, how both DC and marvel try to make 90 books on their most popular characters. I'd rather have all fans read 1-3 books than have 7 or 10
It's about money, basically. You can make more money selling 90 products (or the 60 or so that last more than a year) than 7 or 10. It's just the numbers game. But I do agree that Origins could easily be a creative shift in the core Wolverine title without changing the number or putting out another series. Marvel simply believes they can sell 2 solo Wolverine books at once (not counting ULTIMATE WOLVERINE VS. HULK) and so long as they can, they will.

This is something I mentioned in the 2005 in review topic; companies have abandoned trying to get new readers (they've all gone to manga anyway), so they simply are content on milking the hardcore base for as much as they believe they can get away with. Out of the two of them Marvel often comes off as more cynical and juvenile about it, but DC's just as willing to do the same if they get the chance.

I'm actually looking forward to this

Wolverine will enhance th' story in th' present.
Wolverine: Origins will enhance th' story in th' past.

Two different directions.

Now stop *****ing an' either don't buy it or check it out. It's really that simple.

There are some gaping holes that need to be filled in... Thomas Logan whether or not he's Wolverine's biological father and Dog Logan whether or not he's Sabretooth.

I was under the impression that considering the scars he had on his face, that Dog was NOT SABRETOOTH.

Ghah. Why do people not get that? Dog - is - not - Sabretooth.

True but the regenerative healing factor is a secondary mutation that won't appear until later in a mutant's life.

For instance, Angel later discovered his healing factor.

How do you know the healing factor was a secondary mutation for Sabretooth? It's always been shown as his primary mutation, along with the claws and animal senses, just like Wolverine.

So? Why would his healing factor take care of a scar that was there before his healing factor kicked in?

Right, but supposedly for a while Wolverine claws were implants.

I dunno, but there a some things that need to be cleared up with Wolverine and Origin did that but it did not cover everything.

A few years from now, there will probably be another Origin series they way Marvel is working the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"