Marvel Get's Hulk Rights Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.. the sequel didnt exactly make alot now did it? :D

Oh i know, lol, just making an example. Blade II took four years also to come out, and Blade was more of a cult hit, not exactly well known. I just think they can still do a sequel in a few years time. Hulk is getting better recognition now than when it was first released.

oh yeah, atleast now some people are giving it a chance. IMO Hulk 2 has to be what T2 was for the Terminator franchise. Hulk 2 has to be great to get the franchise back in shape, if not, i bet it will under perform like the first one and then we'll have to wait another 10 or so years for a restart... thats if comic book films are still popular

The second will be right if it stays by the origin. What Ang Lee tried was taking the easy way out and he knew it.

Hopefully the next one is a reboot. I didn't hate the first one, but I thought it was rushed. The film had a great cast and I'm sure Marvel Studios will make sure it's right this time.:up:

WTF?... how did Ang take the easy way out?

Didn't he come up w/ the bright idea to make Banner's condition one from birth as a result of his father? I think that was a bad move, given the plethora of history at his disposal. It just created a bad vibe. The movie wasn't bad, but the storyline was the liability. It lacked continuity. I liked the film, but I hate watching a film which I feel could be better. (well, at least in the since of story development.)

Sava said:
WTF?... how did Ang take the easy way out?
The fact that he or Universal didn't feel like the gamma bomb origin because it might actually take some money.

Alpha and Omega said:
Didn't he come up w/ the bright idea to make Banner's condition one from birth as a result of his father? I think that was a bad move, given the plethora of history at his disposal. It just created a bad vibe. The movie wasn't bad, but the storyline was the liability. It lacked continuity. I liked the film, but I hate watching a film which I feel could be better. (well, at least in the since of story development.)
it was like that in the comics and was the sensible thing to do, in the 60's Gamma radiation was used for EVERYTHING and people just ate it up. Now you try doing the same thing and they'll laugh at you. There needed to be an explanation as to why Bruce survived. This was what they chose

Sabretooth said:
The fact that he or Universal didn't feel like the gamma bomb origin because it might actually take some money.
thats not Ang's fault now is it?... Universal didnt give this film enough money and take it to the right CGI company. Hell, Ang wanted to have more action in there but for budget reasons they didnt let him.

Sava said:
it was like that in the comics and was the sensible thing to do, in the 60's Gamma radiation was used for EVERYTHING and people just ate it up. Now you try doing the same thing and they'll laugh at you. There needed to be an explanation as to why Bruce survived. This was what they chose

We didn't necessarily need an explanation. Lee could've made the explanation . . . inexplicable. . . if that makes any sense. I wanted to see the transformation, but have it stay as a mystery for the sequels. In the comics and cartoons, Banner's always searching for a cure. Lee could've done the same in the movie and still provided the audience w/ closure at the end.

Remember, we're talking about a guy who screened the movie for his children as his approval.:rolleyes::o That right there imo, implied that he didn't take it seriously as material that adults would love.:(

He didn't ruin the series, but he created mistrust; the next box-office showing won't do as well because of this. I do think the next one will be better though.:up:

I don't see the fascination of why we need to see up front Banner transforming into the Hulk. That takes away from the magic of it being a mystery and it'd be kind of awkward. Maybe seeing his arms tear through shirts is old,but they can focus on some other angle.

And,Bruce was searching for a cure. Did you not hear him talking with David on the phone about isolating and killing Hulk?

Alpha and Omega said:
We didn't necessarily need an explanation. Lee could've made the explanation . . . inexplicable. . . if that makes any sense. I wanted to see the transformation, but have it stay as a mystery for the sequels. In the comics and cartoons, Banner's always searching for a cure. Lee could've done the same in the movie and still provided the audience w/ closure at the end.

Remember, we're talking about a guy who screened the movie for his children as his approval.:rolleyes::o That right there imo, implied that he didn't take it seriously as material that adults would love.:(

He didn't ruin the series, but he created mistrust; the next box-office showing won't do as well because of this. I do think the next one will be better though.:up:
whats wrong with wanting your children to like your movie? :confused:

the whole movie takes place in a matter of days, and in the first Hulk out, you can see that Bruce was working on finding out what this anomaly was in his blood. After he f**ks up his lab, there isnt much time for him to to do anything else than run from the Army. IMO it make sense that David experimented with himself and mutates his son.

Sava said:
whats wrong with wanting your children to like your movie? :confused:

the whole movie takes place in a matter of days, and in the first Hulk out, you can see that Bruce was working on finding out what this anomaly was in his blood. After he f**ks up his lab, there isnt much time for him to to do anything else than run from the Army. IMO it make sense that David experimented with himself and mutates his son.

Nothing's wrong w/ children appreciating a film, but should that really be a primary factor? I love great kids films, but I don't think the Hulk is necessarily for young children. :o Well, to be more specific, the live-action films.

I understand the concept of the film, but I wanted more. I hate leaving a theater wanting more.:(

Alpha and Omega said:
Nothing's wrong w/ children appreciating a film, but should that really be a primary factor? I love great kids films, but I don't think the Hulk is necessarily for young children. :o Well, to be more specific, the live-action films.

I understand the concept of the film, but I wanted more. I hate leaving a theater wanting more.:(
i still think that even if they make an adult Hulk film, that kids will like it. I agree that Ang, Universal and Marvel misssed out on making a great Hulk film. there could have been alot more put into this film that would have made it better

"Aggressive development" has been the state of the Hulk sequel since 2003. And its going to be the state for quite some time.

^ You're wrong about that Vile One. Avi Arad has had his hands tied. Marvel doesn't have to pay anyone for the rights. It's their characters. Now that they have the rights back they're going to turn loose this green marketing machine that generated over 1 billion dollars as a franchise even though it only made less than 250 million worldwide? By getting the film rights back they lock up the DVD and theatrical profits bigtime. You see the Hulk movie is the catalyst that sells all the merchandise and the toys were bigger than the movie so Hulk 2 could break even or even be slightly in the red and Hulk 3 will still be made if the movie helps sell enough merchandise. With Universal they didn't get any of the merchandise money whatsoever which is why they had less incentive to make a sequel...and the reason why feet were draggin. Hulk is huge to Marvel and by getting the rights back it's Marvel biggest franchise under their full control. Hulk 2 is a 100% certainty and no way will Marvel sit around and let it rot. Let's all sit back and watch what Avi does. They just got the financing for all these films last year. Now with Hulk & Iron Man they're in the process of getting financing but in the meantime they'll be working on the script and casting. It's all under their wing.

I'm not wrong though. All we've heard about a Hulk sequel since 2003 is "aggressive development."

A sequel is going to cost a lot more no matter what. Toys, video games, and swag isn't going to make a better movie either. And if the merchandise is great and sells so well, then they should just make merchandise instead of a movie.

^ You don't get it. The movie is what creates the awareness and the hype that sells the merchandise. Toy sales increase by a huge % for Marvel characters when the movies come out. And you're dead wrong because you're comparing two different scenerios. What happened since 2003 does NOT matter because #1 Marvel did not have control of the film, and #2 Universal had little desire to make the sequel as they had no profit sharing in the merchandise. The bottom line is Hulk makes Marvel money from toys and merchandise and video games, and the Movie is the mass market outlet to help it do so. The reason Hulk 2 was in aggressive development was just wishful thinking by Avi that Universal would move forward because Hulk meant so much to Marvel's bottom line. Now Marvel has the rights, full control, and all the incentive in the world to make Hulk 2. And I agree toys and video games don't make a better movie but that wasn't the point. I loved the original movie but most kids and Hulk fans were expecting something totally different and not so dark. Avi, Ang Lee, and eveyrone involved understand exactly why they missed the target and have explained exaclty what they're going to do to fix it...which just so happens to be inline with what fans want. Less pyschological drama and more Hulk action...and a real villain. So you can't compared Hulk 2's progress as a project under Universal against it's progress now with Marvel. If you read through Marvel's earnings reports and listen to them they talk about how these movies work as tools to sell merchandise. Even if some kids don't watch the movie the characters exposure is increased 100 fold. Then you have other companies using the Hulk to market their products during the films run, etc...Of course Marvel isn't planning on making Hulk 2 just to break even so they can sell toys. That would be stupid but if it did happen it would not slow the progress of Hulk 3 since all of this money is coming to Marvel from every direciton. The movie is just the catalyst and that's ALL it's been for Marvel until now. Now with Marvel making it they surely want to reap the profits that the other studios have been taking in the past so they're not going to put out a crap film. Let's see how Marvel does with the characters. I'm not saying Hulk 2 will start filming even next year and they may have to start the whole process over from scratch. I don't care. Get the script going, figure out who's in the cast, find the director, and move forward.

And please...don't call it Hulk 2. I think the sequel should be call just "The Incredible Hulk".

I get it, they need a movie to sell more toys.

I find it hard to believe they had no control over the first movie though.

^ No they need a movie to sell the franchise to make money. It's not like a big new toy is going to sell the movie, or a new T-Shirt is going to sell a movie. I didn't say Marvel had NO control, but Ang Lee said he was given lots of freedom and only had to show The Hulk saving someone's life (which he did with Betty and the pilot), and Hulk couldn't kill anyone...which he didn't.

Here's a Q & A w/Kinberg and these are all my questions:

*I don’t know much about the sequel, but I know it’s a priority for Marvel, and there is a big HULK poster on the wall of Avi Arad's office.

I know Marvel got the Hulk back but they've known this was going to happen so I'd imagine they've had things preparing in advance. I would think Hulk was Marvel's #1 priority as a Studio since it made so much money in merchandising, and the video games are top sellers.

*Like I said, it’s a high priority for them, because he’s a great character, and it’s a huge title. But they have some other big projects it the works. Those guys are definitely keeping busy taking over the world.

2) Punisher 2. Have you heard anything on this at all? Sorry but I'm trying to take advantage of this opportunity since you'll hear things on a grapevine we'll likely never have our ears to.

*I don’t know much about Punisher 2. I thought the same team was working on it.

3) Lastly, would you like to tell us your opinion of the new Spiderman 3 pic of Peter Parker in the black suit? The films a year away but I like what I see. It doesn't reveal too much but that is good.

*I LOVE the Spiderman franchise, so I’m happy whenever we get the slightest morsel from Raimi and team. They have done such incredible work with the characters and tone in the first two films. I thought Spidey 2 was a huge leap forward from the first film, and I would guess that Spidey 3 will be another huge step forward for the franchise (and maybe even the comic-book genre).

4) Lastly again, I know it's early but X4 is gonna happen. I know you don't want to jinx yourself so let's just assume it does. What can you guys do to prevent Harry Knowles and others to get leaked scripts? Him and his spies may think he's doing us fans a favor but I see it as stealing. Can't you code each copy of the script differently maybe with a random misspelling or implanted word that would go un-noticed and if it did get leaked you'd know who did it? Some of the magic get's diminished when too much gets revealed too soon.

*Believe me, Fox would investigate all possible means. I’m sure they’ll get the FBI, CIA, NSA, and Kremlin involved. Some of the things you suggest were already implemented on X3.

AD, i like your optimism, and i really hope they get the ball rolling on this ASAP, i watched Hulk again yesterday and IMO its a ****ing great movie.

^ It is great one of my favorites but it's a franchise that has way more potenital than X-Men on film as far as box office and toy sales. Ang Lee missed the market as far as box office is concerned and that's real important. It's tough to make a "fan acceptable" film and still have it go good at the box office.That's the line that most studios cross and get too greedy and screw things up. Fortunately for us there's been enough good ones to forgive the bads ones.

Well i just hope thing go quickly, but at the same time i want a quality movie, on a par or better than the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"