Marvel launches Marvelkids.com

I think the upcoming cartoon looks like fun, myself. And the 616 Spidey doesn't exist for me anymore, so I don't mind seeing him in other contexts with differences and stuff. It seemed pretty logical for him to call Iron Man in that short to me 1) because it's really an Iron Man short and 2) because he's kind of antsy about fighting a giant robot one-on-one.

Aye. I'll agree to that. 616 Spidey doesn't exist anymore. Guess I better find a new favorite American Superhero.:csad: How's Wolverine's comic now a days?

Edit:That was a quick edit you made. But I agree on the TT point. I actually liked it at first. Until it's "unique" art style slipped into transformers and now Spider-man.

You said the animation looks better than his previous one. To which I said "that cg mess on MTV". Meaning I knew you were talking about Spectacular new Spider-man (hence comparing it's art style to the new transformers), but I was implying that anything could be better than his last cartoon on MTV.

I don't even count that MTV garbage as being a Spider-Man cartoon. Originally, I meant the FOX cartoon, but you could substitute the MTV thing or just combine them, and the statement still makes sense.

I don't even count that MTV garbage as being a Spider-Man cartoon. Originally, I meant the FOX cartoon, but you could substitute the MTV thing or just combine them, and the statement still makes sense.

Oh, well, yeah the animation is definitly more fluent than the previous. Also, hopefull, this one won't be as censor driven or have a series finale that leaves you... pissed for lack of a better word. However, I just really don't like the art styles. I really just can't bring myself to like them.

Well, your opinions are generally crap, so that makes sense. :up:

Oh, well, yeah the animation is definitly more fluent than the previous. Also, hopefull, this one won't be as censor driven or have a series finale that leaves you... pissed for lack of a better word. However, I just really don't like the art styles. I really just can't bring myself to like them.
So long as Peter is fluid and fast, which he seems to be from the previews, I'll be okay with it. That was my main problem with the '90s series--good stories, but the animation was only good about half the time at best.

But I backed you up when you went head to head with Slott.... spiritually.

Slott and I are pals now. We're taking our families on vacation together this summer.

I still backed your initial argument though.... in spirit.

It's certainly a flawed system, and I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have a black character to appeal to black audiences, but it's definitely gotta be easier. Given that white audiences have 99% of the modern superheroes to easily empathize with, I don't think it's unfair for black people to want a few more heroes they can immediately see themselves in the shoes of.
If you ask a lot of darkies, you'll probably find that their favourite films aren't necessarily orientated around their race, same with any other race. A film is a film and whether it portrays the story of the writer is the most important aspect.

If you wish to rack up racial equality then create characters rather than alternating races for simplicity, it's done in comics and in animation so why not in this medium.

I tell you I don't know of anyone who has been put off a mainstream film due to the amount of races portrayed in it. No one goes to watch a superhero film based on a race count.

Look at The batman, it had a racial skewerness so it created a black and asian character earlier on to help. It now has a justice league line up that is not only entirely male orientated but also entirely white. It hasn't budged at all with its line up and the only reason why it seems odd is because this type of bold move hasn't been done in animation in a long time. One is so used to be ***** footed around that when someone has the guts to do it right (or right in theory), it catches us off guard. More power to them i say.

These characters were created in a different time to ours let us either see them as period pieces or try to come up with new characters to compliment them but let them flourish as characters rather than racial representatives of 'black versions of etc' or even changing them for the sake of convinience to not piss off anyone who doesn't really care.

there's a thread i was posting in about this sort of topic in referal to hancock and how one dude portrayed it as a racial stereotyping of a superhero and i countered while other interesting points where brought up, i'll find the link for ya.

You're the only one who thinks he looks like Iron Man's sidekick, dude. I see it as an alternate Spider-Man, unencumbered by the 616 issues relating to CW, calling a hero who's much more suited to efficiently handling a threat for help. You know, like heroes in shared universes do all the time?[/quote]

I never said I was against creating new heroes. But they're notoriously hard to make stick in comics. A large part of the reading public wants to see Spider-Man and Batman and all the classics they grew up with, not some random new guy. I know people who passed on Runaways simply because they hadn't heard of them before. Giving new things a chance is not the comic readership's strong suit.

For the record, I don't really agree with the changing of race for change's sake. I can understand it, though. I liked it in Daredevil because, frankly, I thought Michael Clarke Duncan would make an awesome Kingpin, but for Nick Fury they changed not only the race but the essential core of the character. He's not Nick Fury anymore, he's Sam Jackson in Nick Fury's position. That sort of thing annoys me.

well they've done that out of convinience, they've seen the ultimates and wanted to tap into that market and sam's a big name anywho so for them it's a win win situation...

looking for a fresh fury off the bat would cause them more hassle than a ready made one already inspired by versions of the media.

as for the creation of new heroes, it's all really about exposure and how you do it, most comic book writers kinda throw them in your face while the best way to do it is to bring them into another hero's life and slowly fade them out into their own (or these folks be other people and have them tie in from that manner)

a simple thing like having sentry originate as a black superhero in the past who grew up in a time of non-racial acceptance and ended up (in combination with his problems with his alter self) shutting himself down from history. Albeit race may be a part of his makeup and early backstory but it wouldn't affect his current portrayal as a hero. Even something as small as giving thor's hammer to t'challa or another wankandan inhabitant and having him becoming SHANGO, a YOruban west african god of thunder, ultimately bringing along another set of gods from another culturally rich mythology (as does greek and norse mythology) and seeing how that plays out. I like this because he wouldn't play 'black' in the way thor doesn't play nordic or hercules doesn't play greek, he would just play as another powerful deity trying to make his name.

I think a large problem is perhaps having these characters forced on us and not having them as nothign more initial than racial representatives (seen by having 'black' or 'dark' in their superhero names) and perhaps having them all created around the same era.

Truelly though, the superhero market is somewhat saturated and in order for new blood to come in, sorry but the old ones have to die but until people are ready to lay their beloved heroes to rest, nothing much is going to change.

You're a sick, twisted bastard, CTOAN.

And we love you for it.

Ew...I just got the joke. Before, I just thought CTOAN was just stupid. Now he's also creepy.

****ing sweet. I didn't like how Tony's faceplate sort of disappeared and reappeared magically, but otherwise it was awesome.

I want the entire forum to go Disney. It would make life that much sweeter.

If this were the Community forum, we could probably get most people to do it. They have a strange solidarity in there.

They seem to be embracing the Nicktoons at the moment.

If I went Disney, I'd probably have to get something from Toy Story. Just for the Whedonnection.
****ing sweet. I didn't like how Tony's faceplate sort of disappeared and reappeared magically, but otherwise it was awesome.
His armor sort of does that currently, doesn't it? I mean the whole Extremis thing really btchslaps any physics of mass or weight.

No, I've seen his faceplate slide up and over the red part of the helmet in his current armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"