Comics Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
I just bought Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man volume 1, and I have to say it is a great investment. It collects Amazing Fantasy #15, and The Amazing Spider-Man #1-10 in full color, unlike the Essential Spider-Man series.

16602821_1.jpg

Has anyone collected this series? As of now, I believe Volume #14 was just released.

Last edited:
I have the original Masterworks... along with the original comics... except for Amazing Fantasy #15...

But they are great... :up:

:yay:

Whoops, I put this in the wrong section. Could a moderator move this to "The Comics?"

The Amazing Spider-Man omnibus volume 1 is better.
It collects Spidey's run from Amazing Fantasy #15, to I believe ASM #38 or 39, think it might be 38 though.
I wanna get volume 2.

I still need to get the MM Spider-Man volumes 5 onwards though.
They are great reads, I thoroughly enjoy re-reading the stories

got the two Omnis and all the hardcover Masterworks up until the 9th volume... everything after vol 9 doesn't rate with me...

also have the seven softcover volumes with the vastly superior color work and reproductions...

if I had to recommend to anyone, I'd say dump the hardcover Masterworks, keep the Omnis but go for the softcovers as well, for easier handling and superior interior quality, as well as the eye-catching Dean White covers...

the hardcover Masterworks just don't cut it quality-wise as opposed to the softcovers...

as for the Omnis, they're a good buy, but the hideously ugly Humberto Ramos cover to Omni 2 is to be avoided at all costs... the Romita one is MUCH preferred...

Last edited:
I have volumes 1-7 [paperback] and volume 13 [hardcover]. Don't know if I'll be buying anymore for awhile though. I want to, but the hardcovers are just so expensive.

I would say to just stick to the soft covers.

I would say to just stick to the soft covers.
Yeah, but they only release a new softcover once a year now. I don't wanna have to wait a year until I can get a new book. But like I said, the hardcovers are really expensive, so it may be awhile until I buy a new book.

I have vol. 1 in hardcover. Had it since the 90s. Am I crazy and remembering this incorrectly? Or have they actually been out that long?

Yeah, but they only release a new softcover once a year now. I don't wanna have to wait a year until I can get a new book. But like I said, the hardcovers are really expensive, so it may be awhile until I buy a new book.
How come I've seen Marvel Masterworks that have volumes up in the hundreds? Are there different Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man series?

I have vol. 1 in hardcover. Had it since the 90s. Am I crazy and remembering this incorrectly? Or have they actually been out that long?

the first one was around November of 1987, if my memory serves me correct...

How come I've seen Marvel Masterworks that have volumes up in the hundreds? Are there different Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man series?

you've probably seen a listing of Masterworks released to this point...

that's just the natural numerical progression of every Masterworks as it comes out, regardless of the character within the book...

I believe they're getting close to Masterworks vol 190...

you've probably seen a listing of Masterworks released to this point...

that's just the natural numerical progression of every Masterworks as it comes out, regardless of the character within the book...

I believe they're getting close to Masterworks vol 190...
Oh I see... so that would include Marvel Masterworks The Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, X-Men, etc....

Oh I see... so that would include Marvel Masterworks The Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, X-Men, etc....

yeah, whatever came out starting back in '87, the numbering became higher...

it's after the initial 27 that they started renumbering each character's book, giving it their own particular volume renumbering...

but with the hardcover variant dustjacket marble covers, they maintained the original progressive numbering...

the regular dustjacket covers use the volume renumbering...

check this link out, it should help to explain better than I could...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Masterworks

Last edited:
The Marvel Masterworks series in general is just magnificent. A great way to introduce new readers to the classics.

I have the first 4 ASM's with the original numbering... I think vol.1 is #1, vol.2 is #5, vol.3 is #10... it's weird, but that's how they came out at that time... when Marvel releases a new MMW these days, it's offered in both formats...

:yay:

got the two Omnis and all the hardcover Masterworks up until the 9th volume... everything after vol 9 doesn't rate with me...

also have the seven softcover volumes with the vastly superior color work and reproductions...

if I had to recommend to anyone, I'd say dump the hardcover Masterworks, keep the Omnis but go for the softcovers as well, for easier handling and superior interior quality, as well as the eye-catching Dean White covers...

the hardcover Masterworks just don't cut it quality-wise as opposed to the softcovers...

as for the Omnis, they're a good buy, but the hideously ugly Humberto Ramos cover to Omni 2 is to be avoided at all costs... the Romita one is MUCH preferred...

I find that to be pretty interesting. I own the soft covers and was contemplating about 'upgrading' to the hard covers at some point 'cause in my mind I'm thinking, the hard covers would or should have the better production. Maybe I'm wrong but in most cases you'd think the hard cover version of anything would be the finer product.

Why do the soft covers have better color and reproduction?

I find that to be pretty interesting. I own the soft covers and was contemplating about 'upgrading' to the hard covers at some point 'cause in my mind I'm thinking, the hard covers would or should have the better production. Maybe I'm wrong but in most cases you'd think the hard cover version of anything would be the finer product.

Why do the soft covers have better color and reproduction?

I have 9 copies of Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man two are soft cover and the rest are hard. in my opinion they are all the same. Maybe thats just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"