Marvel Mini-Series on Disney streaming service

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Speed Force, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Yeah, I can see a Blade show from Marvel TV coming. I think he said the idea was he was training his daughter or something. I'd watch it. Sounds like it may be a network type show, like CW or something. If it happens that is.

2. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

That plot was going to be used in the relaunched blade comic that never came out. And since fx will be under Disney that could be a good spot for blade or even moonknight.

3. Spider-Fan

That is true, FX is a good option now :up:

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus well-known Mutant

I personally wish, they would just leave the tv medium for live action adaptations. They all feel like Mcu adjacent. I have seen all mcu shows and all of its episodes but recently I skipped Daredevil season 3 episode 2 to 13, and I don't feel like I've missed something especially when I know the films just ignore the shows. These streaming shows would lose steam in a few years just like the Netflix Marvel shows.

5. Spider-Fan

Marvel cannot release 15 movies a year, either. What is the difference between a Loki series on Disney and a Loki Mini-Series in comics? Really nothing. That is what these Disney+ Shows are basically: Mini-Series. Not everyone is getting a movie. It's an unrealistic expectation to have,

6. psylockolussus

psylockolussus well-known Mutant

And I wasn't asking for 15 films per year and Loki has been developed enough in my opinion, that a Loki Tv series doesn't feel necessary. While they can always make smaller films with a budget of 40 to 70 million for the other heroes that haven't headlined a film. The likes of Iron Fist and Luke Cage should have headed into the big screen and instead of being canceled just after 2 seasons. And the word "mini series" just sound so temporary to me, I feel like its a thing they could do continue doing in a few years but ten to twenty years, I don't think so. While the films can continue twenty years from now.

THORin likes this.
  7. Gamma Goliath

The point of these things are to be mini series. 6 to 8 episode single season shows. As long as people still want to see certain characters who wont get a feature film they'll do fine.

8. Spider-Fan

Like I keep saying in here, blame Feige for those not being movies if you're mad about that. He is the one who gave the OK to them being TV shows in the first place.

Plenty of characters, like Vision and Scarlet Witch will benefit from this. Eventually I am sure new characters will get their own Mini-Series instead of a movie. I don't see this as temporary at all. Not unless Disney+ dies out, which it won't. It's what they're basing their entire company around, so it will need original content and it will need to be continuously supplied. As long as there is that demand, they will produce things for it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  9. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Humanity was a mistake

You know what really bothers me? That when all will be said and done, we will have more hours of Bucky and Falcon content than we have of Captain America and other more important characters. How is that even fair?

Also in my opinion a PG-13 Blade series would be a complete waste of everyone's time. Either give us a R-rated series or a movie.

TheVileOne likes this.
  10. Gamma Goliath

Depending on how well its written it could work.

11. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

Fairness doesn't have anything to do with it. We're also seeing a lot more of Quake than we are Iron Man. And spending many more hours with White Canary, Black Lightning and Green Arrow than Batman. Characters that are not considered capable of carrying a film are a great fit for a TV show, either network or streaming. Which means more hours than a tent pole film. And there's an incentive to restrict the live action appearances of the most popular characters in order to get people into the theaters to watch their movies. This is a major reason why the Flash film is having trouble getting launched.

If I had told you a decade ago that Cap would be elevated to one of the world's most popular comic characters and was featured in some of the biggest films of all time, you would have thought I had lost my mind. Cap's gotten his chance to shine, and offering a chance for Bucky and Falcon to do likewise doesn't diminish this in the least.

Shuri and BoredGuy like this.
  12. Abudefduf

Quake didn't start as a supporting character though. She was conceived to be one of the protagonists of AoS from day 1. Same for the others.

All I know is that I'd trade all these Sidekick Shows for another Cap movie (one without Bucky) in a heartbeat. And yes, it is kind of unfair that the character whose relationship with Cap has been the focus of two of the latter's solo films is about to get his own spin-off series. Yay, more Bucky... meanwhile, Cap is still a virgin because the movies didn't have the time to explore his relationship with Sharon. Cool. :o

I'm not saying it couldn't work, I'm just wondering what would be the point of it.

TheVileOne likes this.
  13. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

The point is that these are popular characters performed by charismatic actors who played major roles in a handful of wildly successful cinematic features. Disney is putting a lot of capital into launching a streaming service, and if they can get Mackie and Stan to commit to 6-8 hours of programming it is an absolute no brainer.

I brought this up before, but I would like to see the White Wolf and Falcon on a road trip to track down Sam's missing friend/relative/army buddy who he believes has been taken prisoner by the White Supremacist group (Topical!) Sons of the Serpent.

14. Spider-Fan

Cap will end up having more screen time total. He's been in 3 solos and 3 (soon to be 4) Avengers films. Bucky was not in 2 (and will have barely been in 3 or 4) of those Avengers movies, and he won't be on screen every minute of the show either. It will be same ballpark. But Cap will have also been in more meaningful minutes than Bucky.

I think you're looking at this basically all wrong.

15. Spider-Fan

Referring to IMDB for screen time science (won't be 100% accurate but closest we got), here is Cap vs Bucky as of now (T: TDW is excluded since that was Loki imitating Cap):

Captain America/Steve Rogers:
    -TFA - 56:30
    -TA - 28:15
    -TWS - 59
    -AOU - 21:45
    -CW - 38:15
    -SM:H - 1
    -IW - 7:15

Total - Roughly 205 mins total

Winter Soldier/Bucky Barnes:
    -TFA - 8
    -TWS - 13:15
    -CW - 22
    -IW - 2

Total - Roughly 45:15 mins total

205 - 45:15 = +159:45 mins in Captain America's favor

So Captain America has been on screen for nearly 3 entire hours over Bucky and this will go up post A4. The only MCU show I can compare this to will be Inhumans, which was 8 episodes (which is what Bucky/Falcon will be). In that, the highest total went to Maximus at 77 mins. So on a 6-8 episode series I will guess Bucky will get no more than 2hrs screen time. Aka, we have seen more of Cap.

Good talk :up:

16. mace1

mace1 Well-Known Member

Incorrect.
    I disagree with your view.
    By the way a few things from the mcu shows had made to the mcu movies.
    This was posted before BELOW.

Flint Marko likes this.
  17. mace1

mace1 Well-Known Member

By the way in the bleedingcool comment section some folks posted a few more things that made to the movies but i can't recall what they are now.
    Here some other recent views on this as well and after this stick on topic.

Loeb Reveals Why Marvel's TV Superheroes Haven't Appeared in the Movies
    The Marvel Television chief explains how the films and TV shows fit together, and why the Netflix characters haven't popped up more in the movies.
    Loeb Reveals Why Marvel's TV Superheroes Haven't Appeared in the Movies

Category:Earth-199999 Characters | Marvel Database
    Earth-199999 Characters

18. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

^^Those are all good points, and that's what Loeb should probably focus on when he gets asked

the whole "TV and Movies have different development schedules" thing seems like a cop-out, just put even the slightest bit of thought into connecting them and it should be fine, if anything I feel like the movies being developed so far out should give the TV side plenty of time to line up to the movies

19. SirStrangefolk

SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

What does it matter how they started? I don't see what that has to do with anything. If a character was not initially the main character they can never ascend beyond that or get more screen time? I'm glad things don't work that way honestly.

[​IMG]

Shoppy likes this.
  20. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Is it supposed to be about supporting characters that don't usually get the lead? Unless I am remembering wrong, yes I believe so. I think these other things are our wants rather than what they are going for. I want all the things you are asking for too but I don't think the mini-series were announced with those in mind. I hope those ones mentioned could get full series rather than mini-series though.

21. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Adult Groot > Baby Groot > Teen Groot

I would love to see Old Man/Tree Groot :up:

Spider-Fan likes this.
  22. Abudefduf

Well at least they'll be 2 hours of screen time not spent obsessing over another character. Again, I'd rather watch 2 hours of Cap finally doing something unrelated to Bucky.

Okay but you're arguing against a point that I never made. Also these are comics, they're a lot cheaper to make.

No wait, the stuff I mentioned in that post is what other people want, not me. What I personally want from Disney+ is some high-quality animated shows. Stuff like the announced Harley Quinn series, except... not about her, of course.

23. SirStrangefolk

SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

No, I'm not arguing against any point. I was asking what your point even was because I still don't see it. Hence why it was phrased as questions.
    And yes, comics are cheaper. I once again don't understand what that has to do with anything. But it works for movies too I guess. Black Widow initially was a supporting character yet she's getting her own film.

24. Abudefduf

That I think a $100 million Bucky and Falcon series is a dumb idea, because as characters they're not particularly good. Feel free to disagree but since this is America I'm entitled to my opinion.

EDIT: You know what though, maybe I should look at the positive side of it. As long as Disney is too busy making shows about Falcon and Cassor Andian, it will leave characters I actually care about alone. That's a good thing

I guess I should specify that by movie I meant a PG-13 movie set in the MCU. Because that would at least make many people happy, as would a R-rated series. A PG-13 series on the other hand would leave pretty much everyone unsatisfied.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  25. HunBoy

HunBoy Captain Hungary