Marvel Now - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say that just off the one issue, Avengers under Bendis and Avengers under Hickman are like night and day.

thanks for the welcome!

and yea i get where you are coming from. i've always preferred the avengers to be a bit more cosmic, a higher level of superheroism, you know what i mean?

i think there is room for a more traditional avengers team and a more street level team like what bendis did. i think i'd have preferred him to have stayed with new avengers for all those years whilst someone else did the main book.

You've knocked up a pretty good post count considering you're only here 9 days....WELL DONE AND WELCOME :D

lol thanks. i've been ill off work the past week, so i need something to keep me occupied!

You mean because Hickman's book is actually exciting?

There were moments in Bendis' run that were exciting. He did a pretty damn good job in the excitement department for the Avengers titles during Dark Reign.

Bendis' Avengers could be excited. But it often wasn't either.

It also never really "felt" like the Avengers, though. Which Hickman's immediately does. Even with the focus on smaller characters.

You mean because Hickman's book is actually exciting?

It's the dialogue that was the major difference to me. The way Bendis scripted the Avengers sometimes frustrated the bad place out of me.

I think that you're dead wrong. Despite a few flaws (I think you and I mentioned it before) Hickman's Avengers #1 was pretty damn awesome because it is indeed a breath of fresh air after Bendis' run. Now, I actually find myself liking most of Bendis' run. Asides from Avengers: Disassembled, his run on Avengers up until the Heroic Age was pretty damn good.

As I said before, I acknowledge that I could be wrong. It was just an observation.

And I actually enjoyed his post-Heroic Age New Avengers the best. I thought he really hit his strong points there, though the Fear Itself and AvX interuptions were frustrating. I think his issue, for me, was that he attempted the BIG Avengers feel and both times it failed (Mighty and Adjectiveless). His main New Avengers run, from 9 years go until two weeks ago, was great all the way through.

As I said before, I acknowledge that I could be wrong. It was just an observation.

And I actually enjoyed his post-Heroic Age New Avengers the best. I thought he really hit his strong points there, though the Fear Itself and AvX interuptions were frustrating. I think his issue, for me, was that he attempted the BIG Avengers feel and both times it failed (Mighty and Adjectiveless). His main New Avengers run, from 9 years go until two weeks ago, was great all the way through.

I really didn't care for either Avengers book in the Heroic Age. Both New Avengers and Avengers felt stale as if Bendis ran out of ideas, the rosters were constantly inconsistent on both books, the threats such as the New Dark Avengers were boring, the ideas that Bendis introduced such as the 1959 Avengers were just bad, and the tie-in issues to Fear Itself and AvX were just god awful.

To me, Bendis really hit his stride in Dark Reign for New Avengers and Dark Avengers. And I personally liked Bendis' Mighty Avengers, he tried to mix it up, and while it wasn't always perfect, it was competent and for the most part enjoyable.

A combination of Bendis's Avengers Disassembled and Straczynski's Sin's Past were the reason that I stopped reading comics for like 8 years. They really just killed my desire to read as I felt they were just carelessly ****ing around with characters that I loved for sales. I also got a girlfriend who I desperately wanted to **** and was afraid that she would find my hobby nerdy. I only recently started reading again over the summer and caught up with a lot of the stuff I missed, like Bendis's complete Avengers run. I loved his first New Avengers run but was never really into the stuff he did after that run came to a close.

I'm still with the same girl now... And now, I'm probably reading more comics than ever (especially needing to catch up on eight years worth of missed stories) and am just a blatant, full blown comic nerd in front of her. Funny how things change.

Last edited:
I think the majority of us can relate to that, haha.

Bendis is who got me reading comics again. And sometimes I forget that Ultimate Spider-man and New Avengers came from the same guy. Gotta give him some credit for being able to try all those different ideas. Primarily some of the stylistic differences between several titles being written simultaneously.

I think the majority of us can relate to that, haha.

Bendis is who got me reading comics again. And sometimes I forget that Ultimate Spider-man and New Avengers came from the same guy. Gotta give him some credit for being able to try all those different ideas. Primarily some of the stylistic differences between several titles being written simultaneously.

I actually think they should cut the team down to one and make it smaller. Only then will it feel like the proper "Avengers". However, I do see the issue that there's so many wonderful characters. I'd certainly be left angry with at least 1 of my faveourite characters not in the team.

Daniel Acuna is taking over Uncanny Avengers. Who's willing to bet that John Cassaday will never get work as an ongoing artist ever again?

Daniel Acuna is taking over Uncanny Avengers. Who's willing to bet that John Cassaday will never get work as an ongoing artist ever again?
Im not a fan of his art at all. What a downgrade

I love Acuna. This is great news! Although it was nice seeing Cassiday's art again. Oh well.

Acuna....? Ugh.

I've got a better idea, put Acuna on that s****y Avengers Assemble book and put Stefano Caselli on Uncanny Avengers.

I love Acuna. This is great news! Although it was nice seeing Cassiday's art again. Oh well.

^^What he said. Well, trade "love" for "really like".

Ugh, I just saw a page from Avengers Arena.....Avengers Academy fans are gonna be pissed. Why is Marvel allowing this to happen??? I pray they cancel this book before Wednesday. :(

Ugh, I just saw a page from Avengers Arena.....Avengers Academy fans are gonna be pissed. Why is Marvel allowing this to happen??? I pray they cancel this book before Wednesday. :(
I think that Avengers Academy is going to be one of the three Marvel NOW books that will tank hard.

Even though they don't want to say it, Avengers Arena is essentially the successor title to Avengers Academy, a low selling title that was kept steady by a very loyal fanbase of about 23k. Even though they're trying to broaden the base by making it a rip-off of Battle Royale and the Hunger Games (and flat out admitting it with their covers and interviews), the core audience of this book is the Avengers Academy readers. People who weren't reading Avengers Academy aren't going to be reading this book beyond the initial issues, even if it is good. The Avengers brand is just far too stretched out and it's a book that isn't even starring any Avengers and has no major consequences with the main Marvel Universe, these characters are essentially just cannon fodder to Marvel. Books that really have no relevance in the major publishers' lines just don't sell anymore.

So what does Marvel do? Completely antagonize the Avengers Academy readers, the core audience for this book, in the most blatant and insulting ways possible. Even if this book is any good, it is a complete insult in the eyes of the Avengers Academy fans. Along with putting their beloved characters in a book with no originality, Marvel is going to be killing them off for crying out loud. And they're proud to admit all of this.

I'm willing to bet that fans of Avengers Academy will end up ranking this book on par with Spider-Man: One More Day, Avengers: Disassembled, All-Star Batman and Robin, Countdown, and Justice League: Cry for Justice. Avengers Academy readers aren't going to read this book because it is one big "**** YOU" to them. They will not give this book a chance and deservedly so considering how Marvel is treating them. They'll probably end up moving on to Young Avengers to fulfill their need of well developed young and diverse characters.

I think that Avengers Arena will be the third book to get canned from their relaunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"