Marvel TV Series Marvel On Disney Streaming Service (aka Disney +)

I don’t love this idea. I think it will dilute Marvel even more and we’ve learned from existing shows it’s next to impossible to try to connect the film and tv worlds based on shooting schedules.

In my defense I corrected them afterwards at least the feige one.
It’s not an attack mate, just a funny autocorrect. ;) Happens to everyone. :up:

I don’t love this idea. I think it will dilute Marvel even more and we’ve learned from existing shows it’s next to impossible to try to connect the film and tv worlds based on shooting schedules.
No one has tried to connect the films to and acknowledge TV shows though. It’s been a one way relationship. Now you have the head of the film division in charge of the TV side and these opportunities are likely to fall to those who don’t get as much time in the films. It’s not like every second-tier character has to be covered, just whoever they want to write for who also happens to be free. These are mini-series too, not long season TV shows that go on for years on end, so scheduling shouldn’t be as difficult.

We haven't learned anything like that. The schedules are not an easy and the marvel TV side has not dilluded the brand. The best cb shows are the marvel ones by General consensus

How long before Marvel TV is absorbed by Feige??
I think it'll always remain separate because Feige doesn't have quite the time to full seasons of so many shows. That being said, the advantage these shows have and why it's such a big change is that they apparently have a much larger budget. They're spinoff shows and remind me quite a bit of the one-shots they used to do in that they involve those characters, etc. But I think there's still room for lower budget stuff that involves characters the movies don't have any interest in. Cloak and Dagger was a lot of fun on Freeform, but it's unlikely Feige has any interest in producing that show.

If I got the sense that Jeph Loeb and Kevin Feige got a long better, I think it would make sense for Loeb to report to Feige rather than to Perlmutter, but I kind of get the impression there's mutual toleration and nothing more. I would be surprised if they talk to each other more than once a month and wouldn't be shocked if the last time they talked was Agent Carter Season One.

It'll be much easier to connect them with the same person running them. You can easily have something in a TV show directly lead to something in a movie if you film it in the movie first but let the TV show film later but debut first. The biggest issue with Marvel television is the movies don't want the TV side to steal their thunder so the TV side can't play with movie concepts until those concepts are shown on the big screen (assuming the movie side even tells them about it).

Regarding scheduling, these are mini-series that don't have to be released regularly, which leaves plenty of time to do both. Agents of SHIELD is never in that position, although I think the Netflix shows used to be in that position (lately, they've been releasing seasons more frequently, which makes it trickier).

Last edited:
I’m assuming the bigger budget is more to accommodate salaries than anything else.

In theory Feige could connect the two divisions better but I think Marvel has gotten better at not shoehorning in unnecessary connections just for the sake of connections. So I wouldn’t want them going backwards.

Also it seems like a lot of Marvel movies are rewritten as they are filming. I can’t imagine a tv plot being written into a movie would survive the editing room if the director didn’t think it was essential to the story and wouldn’t confuse audiences.

Would reuse of movie costumes, props and VFX assets make a difference budgetwise?

I’m assuming the bigger budget is more to accommodate salaries than anything else.

In theory Feige could connect the two divisions better but I think Marvel has gotten better at not shoehorning in unnecessary connections just for the sake of connections. So I wouldn’t want them going backwards.

Also it seems like a lot of Marvel movies are rewritten as they are filming. I can’t imagine a tv plot being written into a movie would survive the editing room if the director didn’t think it was essential to the story and wouldn’t confuse audiences.
A Scarlet Witch mini series would probably have relatively low acting salaries compared to many TV shows. I think the extra budget would be to get film level effects into the shows, the lack of which takes away authenticity in translating high powered characters to TV.

A Scarlet Witch mini series would probably have relatively low acting salaries compared to many TV shows. I think the extra budget would be to get film level effects into the shows, the lack of which takes away authenticity in translating high powered characters to TV.

I don't think either Loki or Scarlet Witch will command terribly high salaries. Elizabeth Olsen and Tom Hiddleston are not exactly getting RDJ money, lol. Heck, not even getting Jeremy Renner money! I doubt they will get actors that command that type of salary. But you're right, it will be expensive. That's where the money will go.

I don't think that any MCU actor commands RDJ money right now TBF. The only one who comes close last time I checked was Scarlett Johansson, and even she's quite a ways off from him.

I don't think that any MCU actor commands RDJ money right now TBF. The only one who comes close last time I checked was Scarlett Johansson, and even she's quite a ways off from him.
I was using hyperbole, LOL! Point is, the people doing these shows are not making amounts of money that a show with a budget the size of like a Game of Thrones cannot afford. Disney is doing that for Star Wars, so I see no reason why they wouldn't for Marvel considering how much Marvel is making for them.

Great news! This is what I had been hoping for since it was first announced that Agents of Shield would be in continuity with the cinematic MCU. We ended up getting the amazing HYDRA reveal in season 1, with AOS expanding the narrative of the Winter Soldier by showing how the events of the movie were affecting the rank and file. And we saw Fury, Hill and Sitwell move seamlessly between TV and film. Then we had the breakup between Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios, and "It's all connected!" became "It's not completely contradictory!"

Keeping TV and film as separate fiefdoms in an ongoing connected fantasy universe is outdated thinking in the age of streaming, so I am very happy to see Disney finally take the plunge. With AOS on its last legs and the Netflix shows closer to the end than the beginning, we could see all future live action Marvel TV shows developed by Feige's group. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the Netflix characters get rebooted into MCU proper after the streaming contracts expire.

As for the shows themselves, I was originally hoping Wanda would go off to train with Strange after Avengers 4. But Agatha Harkness is on her way to the MCU, and I'd prefer to see Wanda train with a witch than a sorcerer. Loki can pop up pretty much at any time or any place in the last millennium and cause chaos, so I don't have any firm ideas for him. But I am definitely going to watch.

Great news! This is what I had been hoping for since it was first announced that Agents of Shield would be in continuity with the cinematic MCU. We ended up getting the amazing HYDRA reveal in season 1, with AOS expanding the narrative of the Winter Soldier by showing how the events of the movie were affecting the rank and file. And we saw Fury, Hill and Sitwell move seamlessly between TV and film. Then we had the breakup between Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios, and "It's all connected!" became "It's not completely contradictory!"

Keeping TV and film as separate fiefdoms in an ongoing connected fantasy universe is outdated thinking in the age of streaming, so I am very happy to see Disney finally take the plunge. With AOS on its last legs and the Netflix shows closer to the end than the beginning, we could see all future live action Marvel TV shows developed by Feige's group. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the Netflix characters get rebooted into MCU proper after the streaming contracts expire.

As for the shows themselves, I was originally hoping Wanda would go off to train with Strange after Avengers 4. But Agatha Harkness is on her way to the MCU, and I'd prefer to see Wanda train with a witch than a sorcerer. Loki can pop up pretty much at any time or any place in the last millennium and cause chaos, so I don't have any firm ideas for him. But I am definitely going to watch.

I don't think anything is being rebooted. Only maybe Inhumans would the lone exception given how much of a dumpster fire the show ended up being, but the other shows I don't think ever will. They're all pretty much successful. They all have gone for multiple seasons. If Feige really wanted to do anything with those characters, Marvel TV wouldn't have had them in the first place.

Would reuse of movie costumes, props and VFX assets make a difference budgetwise?

Depends on the setting for costumes I guess.

Loki and SW are two characters that probably carry a higher budget because their powers require FX work and with Loki.

As far as salaries, according to this article, here's how much they got for IW. Of course, they also say Vin Diesel got $54M which is higher than RDJ, so I find that extremely hard to believe.

Here's How Much Each Actor Earned For 'Avengers: Infinity War'

Chris Evans: $8M
Chris Hemsworth: $12M
Chadwick Boseman: $2M
Mark Ruffalo: $5M
Scarlett Johansson: $20M
Benedict Cumberbatch: $5M
Tom Hiddleston: $8M
Chris Pratt: $5M
Tom Holland: $3M

What particular storylines would you hope to see for the characters we know about?

IydzMzp.jpg

Not House of M. That needs to be a movie.

The bits he wants at least. The one reason to keep them permanently separate could be the ability to use an R rating on all those shows.

It should all be under one roof anyways. MS will be releasing R rated movies in no time, probably under a different label (i.e. Marvel Max or Marvel Knights). Disney needs to give Feige whatever he wants and give him all the control. He can hire minions he trusts to help him. Heck, I'd give him carte blanche over Star Wars too.

I don't think anything is being rebooted. Only maybe Inhumans would the lone exception given how much of a dumpster fire the show ended up being, but the other shows I don't think ever will. They're all pretty much successful. They all have gone for multiple seasons. If Feige really wanted to do anything with those characters, Marvel TV wouldn't have had them in the first place.

I don't think it's that Feige didn't want anything to do with characters like DD and Luke Cage. It's more likely that they ended up on TV because Feige didn't have immediate plans for them and Netflix was waving fistfuls of cash at Loeb.

The Netflix shows have certainly been successful. But they the ties to MCU proper are pretty much non existent, so a reboot would be easy. Once the Netflix contract runs out, the options are to a) keep a handful of very popular Marvel characters on the shelf, b) bring the Netflix Defenders continuity into the cinematic MCU or c) reboot with new actors and a new continuity. My guess is that they will pick "c".

I don't think it's that Feige didn't want anything to do with characters like DD and Luke Cage. It's more likely that they ended up on TV because Feige didn't have immediate plans for them and Netflix was waving fistfuls of cash at Loeb.

The Netflix shows have certainly been successful. But they the ties to MCU proper are pretty much non existent, so a reboot would be easy. Once the Netflix contract runs out, the options are to a) keep a handful of very popular Marvel characters on the shelf, b) bring the Netflix Defenders continuity into the cinematic MCU or c) reboot with new actors and a new continuity. My guess is that they will pick "c".

I have doubts. They had conversations about including the Defenders characters in IW, so if they almost put them in that movie, I don't see why they wouldn't use those versions. It makes no sense. Particularly since they're already successful shows. It's wiser to just piggyback off them.

I agree that doing fullscale House of M is not suited for a show like this. The image I presented was merely to suggest some ideas. For example, while they shouldn't and won't adapt House of M as is, there are definitely elements of it (thematic or otherwise) that could be used for a show. Her attempt to have children could be part of it, an attempt to bring back a loved one (in this case Pietro instead of Thomas and William) could, a further exploration of her family could be part of it, etc.

It should all be under one roof anyways. MS will be releasing R rated movies in no time, probably under a different label (i.e. Marvel Max or Marvel Knights). Disney needs to give Feige whatever he wants and give him all the control. He can hire minions he trusts to help him. Heck, I'd give him carte blanche over Star Wars too.
Give him everything!

His title will go from Head of Marvel Studios to Supreme Overlord. He will actually be the new Star Wars villain.

My hope would be that they maintain an extremely high level of quality (like Game of Thrones, for example), in which case, this is a great idea. But I had a similar hope for Inhumans and we saw how that turned out.

I really think (as I did with Inhumans) that with binge-watching and UHD TVs, we will see a shift in the coming years away from the two hour story presented in theaters and toward a high-quality, 10-13 hour story that people can watch in their homes.

Hopefully Disney recognizes that and is willing to invest to do that right.

Having Jon Favreau head the streaming Star Wars series is an encouraging sign.

My hope would be that they maintain an extremely high level of quality (like Game of Thrones, for example), in which case, this is a great idea. But I had a similar hope for Inhumans and we saw how that turned out.

I really think (as I did with Inhumans) that with binge-watching and UHD TVs, we will see a shift in the coming years away from the two hour story presented in theaters and toward a high-quality, 10-13 hour story that people can watch in their homes.

Hopefully Disney recognizes that and is willing to invest to do that right.

Having Jon Favreau head the streaming Star Wars series is an encouraging sign.

The very fact Feige would be in charge points to them taking them seriously. Feige and co had no involvement in Inhumans.

If Olsen and Hiddleston are involved everyone will view it as an integral part of the mcu and feige doesn't put his name in a project lightly. Ifbhe is willing to be involved and he is bringing mcu actors with him that means it's gonna be a high level production.

Feige doesn't putbhis name somewhere unless there is a quality standard which is why I suspect his name is nowhere to be seen in venom

The very fact Feige would be in charge points to them taking them seriously. Feige and co had no involvement in Inhumans.

Yeah, but I can't help having a nagging fear after Inhumans. They told us they were spending a lot of money on that, and the IMAX release made it all seem very promising... only to turn out to be one of the absolute worst shows I've seen in the past 10 years.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"