Marvel On Disney Streaming Service (aka Disney +)

Discussion in 'Upcoming Marvel on Disney+' started by babykhris, Aug 12, 2018.

1. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Yeah okay cool. But I don't know why you need to quote my post and mention that.

2. Dr. Evil Registered

Because it sounds like from that post you fit into the category of fans who don't care for the story and characters and care more about how good or bad the CGI is. I am sure you are not that, but that post makes it sounds like you aren't ever going to watch any Disney+ MCU shows ever again because of the poor CGI rather than the story or characters.

3. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

This is what I said.
    Nothing about not watching a tv series with dodgy effects.

I have my complaints with the Marvel D+ shows, but my main issues with the shows are the pacing, and the story that could be told into 2hours, being stretched to siX to nine episodes because Disney needs eXclusive content. Would I want the shows to have better production value like vfX, yes but I'm not turning them down because of cheap looking vfX.

For the record, I watched all disney+ Marvel shows and the previous live action Marvel shows from Abc, NetfliX, Freeform, FoX, Hulu and fX. So you are barking at the wrong person. I am definitely not a film snob that refuses to watch a tv series.

4. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

I don't disagree, as I prefer the original roster. I was just providing context.

TheVileOne likes this.
  5. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

To be fair, I feel like most of the original team could just as easily be made Asian or of Asian descent, so it would even be possible to have the team a mix of both versions. Especially since they're lesser known characters some changes can be made, like with GotG.

Gorilla Man was a soldier of fortune who took on the curse of the Gorilla Man after killing the previous Gorilla Man. A soldier of fortune could come from anywhere and be of any ethnicity. Maybe he's descended from Indian laborers brought to Mauritius. There are almost no South Asian heroes in Marvel right now and that way he'd have a link to both Asia and Africa.

Uranian could have been fleeing from the Japanese rather than the Germans.

The Atlanteans seem to be Latin in the MCU, but I think they could cast Namora to be Filipino Mestizo or something like that. If they're doing the Asian team they might just have Wave instead I guess, but they could also have Wave become a friend or successor to Namora.

M-11 the Human Robot is already Chinese in origin, being commissioned by Plan Chu.

Only Venus is a bit more difficult, but then again both the Norse gods and the Eternals that inspired some Greek myths were ethnically diverse too in the MCU.

#1530 SirStrangefolk, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  6. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Yea I wouldn't really have an issue with that. I don't have a problem with the new Agents team in the comics, I just didn't like how other than Jimmy Woo, it's basically an entirely new team.

Creating an amalgamation of both teams in the MCU wouldn't be a bad way to go about it.

7. TheVileOne Registered

I'd prefer they not do that when there are Asian superheroes they can just as easily use instead.

8. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

I mean, if they're introducing the original Agents of Atlas they were always going to raceswap some of them anyway because the original team except for Woo are all golden age heroes (and thus all-white). Combine that with the fact that Atlanteans like Namora are already made Latin in the MCU and the fact that current comic readers associate the team name with what is essentially "the pan-Asian team" and the fact that the Atlas foundation was an Asian organisation from the get-go, I think it's inevitable if they introduce them as part of that team.

Plus I actually think it adds some interesting history to the characters.

There's tons of white American soldiers in the MCU already, but how many Indo-Mauritian characters are there in fiction period? How would that cultural background influence the character?

How did Namora end up in the water of the Philipines if Atlantis is in Mesoamerican waters? In the comics she's the daughter of an Atlantean man and a surface woman, and she moved to Lemuria which is in the Pacific Ocean. So it would actually make total sense for her to be Mestisa if her father is a mesoamerican Atlantean and her mother a woman from the Philipines which is near Lemuria where her father moved to.

With Uranian's origin and powers being heavily tied to WW2 and uranium, what would his story look like if he was a Japanese political refugee instead of a German one? Would his story then tie in with the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with uranium-based atomic bombs?

I feel like with those elements you get everything they were in the comic, but also more than that.

#1533 SirStrangefolk, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  9. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Citation very much needed. *cough* We don't even have a Namor yet.

This is not directly related, but there's a funny little thing about Aphrodite. Everyone knows about the whole "walking up out of the ocean" bit, but the funny thing about Aphrodite is that her worship in the Greek world, historically, started right around the time the worship of a very similar deity, Ishtar, started declining in the Babylonian/Persian world. From a historical perspective, this can be interpreted as Aphrodite being a deity carried into the Greek world from outsiders, who was than transformed into a more culturally fitting part of the Greek society and religion.

From a mythical perspective, this could be interpreted as Ishtar literally leaving behind the Persian world for places further west. Possibly in the aftermath of unleashing a zombie plague on the Persian world, and no longer being welcome back home. :) Which is to say, there is grounds for interpreting that Aphrodite doesn't need to be ethnically Greek, even if the Olympian Gods in general are supposed to be ethnically Greek.

10. Dr. Evil Registered

There are rumors that Mexican Actor Tenoch Huerta is in the film in an unknown but significant role, rumored to be Namor

Marvel’s ‘Black Panther’ Sequel Shoot to Begin in July (Exclusive) – The Hollywood Reporter

Venom 1988 likes this.
  11. Albright Eeh…

Venom 1988 likes this.
  12. Dr. Evil Registered

I questioned this casting from Sarah Finn (who is usually on point with her casting) because I could not find anything she did in English. Who knows, maybe her English is really good, which was why she was cast. I mean Ma Dong-seok was cast as Gilgamesh in the Eternals and he went to school in Ohio.

13. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Basing this solely on work experience (I've had to travel to Europe a few times for work), a lot of people in other countries can speak English as a second language really well, especially younger people. So it wouldn't surprise me if she could, without even having seen her act in English.

Meanwhile here in America, we struggle with just the 1 language :o

14. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

So, as I said: we don't know who has been cast as Namor. Rumors are worth the paper they are ( no longer ) printed upon, until such time as they are backed by actual evidence.

15. Dr. Evil Registered

Still though Tenoch Huerta is in the movie. As who? We don't know yet. As far as we know, he could end up being the MCU version of Hector Ayala.

16. Slick Yup

I like that the 2022 MCU Disney+ shows next year will focus on mostly new heroes for the most part. You know with Moon Knight, She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel. So that’s pretty cool.

Iceman likes this.
  17. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Is She-Hulk next up?

18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

True. Will be good to get all that fresh blood into the MCU and they happen to all be characters I’m very much looking forward to seeing.

Slick likes this.
  19. Slick Yup

Not sure really but I think the rumor is Moon Knight is up first for 2022.

#1544 Slick, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Iceman likes this.
  20. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh right, thanks.

Slick likes this.
  21. Albright Eeh…

She-Hulk needs a lot of effects, whenever Jennifer and Bruce and rumored other Hulks appear.

Moon Knight relies more on stunt and action scenes and could be finished earlier.
    So I assume , it‘ll be MK.
    It was also shown as first MCU series for 2022 in the D+D-Video and the 2022-preview (regarding to the order of the appearance)

Iceman likes this.
  22. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thanks for the info/opinions.

23. Dr. Evil Registered

24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Really hope there’s some truth to this.

BlackFox likes this.