Loki Marvel Studios' LOKI - Disney + Original

Discussion in 'Upcoming Marvel on Disney+' started by psylockolussus, Apr 13, 2019.

1. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

I actually agree. It’s not the Loki we know and love, therefore is there really a point?

2. Ozbridge Registered

3. Mr. Peanut Registered

I thought Cap clipped the branch that Loki stole the tesseract in. Shouldn't that timeline have ceased to exist once Cap returned the mind and time stones to that point in time? Unless Loki somehow travels outside of the timeline before it gets erased...but why? Just to have an excuse to bring back Loki?

I was more hyped for this back when I thought it would be a midquel featuring regular-timeline Loki.

4. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Steve returned the Tesseract to the 70s, preempting that branch. This doesn't do anything to the 2012 Loki branch, because the Tesseract being present in the 70s doesn't undo it at all. Quite the opposite: the only way that branch can even happen is if the Tesseract is present to get grabbed by Loki, which its not if it vanished in the 70s never to return.

Kev4000 likes this.
  5. Mike Murdock Registered

I think you misunderstood the whole theoretical concept of time travel in the movie. The mere fact that the Avengers traveled back in time created an alternate timeline. When they went back to the 70s to take the Tesseract there, that also created a new timeline. But they made it clear that going back in time doesn't alter their timeline. Otherwise, removing the Tesseract from the timeline should have restored everyone killed by the snap since there was no space stone to complete the gauntlet.

What the Ancient One was saying was not that returning the Infinity Stones cures the timeline and prevents the split. She specifically said that removing the stone left the timeline defenseless. Returning the stone is a way to prevent that timeline from being destroyed as well. Some have interpreted that as saying that the stones were essential for the life of a timeline. I interpreted it more simply - the time stone was needed to prevent the coming of Dormammu and removing it would have left the timeline conquered.

6. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I would interpret it more broadly: removing the Infinity Stones permanently from a timeline, means that timeline can't do stuff with them. Its just generally a lot of opportunities for things to go bad. Thus, you borrow them and return them.

Essentially, the Cap epilogue was *not* about preventing the formation of alternate timelines, nor any kind of existential "without the Infinity Stones the universe collapses" scenario. It was about mitigating the chance that those alternate timelines are *bad* timelines. People in alternate timelines are still people, and still "count". So don't take actions that screw them over.

7. Mr. Peanut Registered

Then why do they show the branch timeline disappearing? Why does Banner say "we can erase it"? Why do they refer to it as "clipping the branches"?

8. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Because there are two possible timeline divergences: the ones where the Infinity Stones are never returned, versus the ones where they are returned almost immediately?

I think you are demanding a level of legalistic precision in the way characters speak, that is unreasonable to expect.

SpocksBrain likes this.
  9. Charlie_1981 Registered

10. HunBoy Captain Hungary

11. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

haha wow.