Ms. Marvel Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel General Discussion Thread

FN5YC3mWYAEMxFG

Probably the first Marvel show I’ll skip (though I wish I skipped Hawkeye lol). It looks specifically made for 13 and younger which is fine. More CW.

Looks good! Also unique with using those thought bubbles like a comic book.
I wonder how much of that we'll actually see in the show. Because it seemed in the trailer like once she became a superhero it kind of stopped.

Man, I'm still lowkey upset at the power changes...

1. Kamala's embiggening is super iconic for her. Changing it like this feels akin to changing Spider-Man's webs or Wolverines claws for something totally different. Plus it just feels less unique in the MCU so far than the morphing would've been..
2. Having it be an external force like this completely removes the teenage girl body insecurity/acceptance angle from her powers. It's supposed to partly work as a metaphor similar to the panda transformation in Turning Red.
3. The trailer seems to confirm the powers come from the bracelet. Which means no Inhuman stuff or even the powers being innate to her some other way. But more importantly in the comics the bracelet was a gift from her grandmother with great cultural significance that serves as a reminder of the partition of India. Making that a "cool superpowers gizmo" seems rather tonedeaf...
4. This will be many peoples' first introduction to Kamala. I'm worried that these changes might influence her appearances in other media.

trailer looks eeh as eehxpected…
Gonna watch it anyway, since I watch all MCU projects. The stuff in Bangkok looks good.
More looking forward to She Hulk

Looks like cute fun. Looking forward to it.

Looks fine. More interested in Moon Knight and She-Hulk still, but I imagine this show will be fine

Trailer was fine and I'm sure I'll enjoy the show, especially since I've become somewhat of a fan of the character but I'm not liking how they changed her powers. I wanna know why they went in that direction as I'm assuming it has to do with both budget restraints and the inhuman stuff in general.

It has the usual teenage tropes, which is expected. Nothing wrong with that as long as those tropes are done well. Obviously I wasn't in the demographic (I am a 40 year old Asian American male) but I liked how the tropes were done in the Netflix series "Never Have I Ever" because the tropes were done in a creative way. The usual tropes include: trouble with schoolwork, crush with someone from the opposite sex, best friend (or best friends) with like minds and common interests, the main rival to the protagonist is either a jock, usually a football player (if the protagonist is male), or a blond girl who could be also be a cheerleader and dating the star football player who is the QB (if the protagonist is female), a visit to the office of the principal, two loving but over protective parents and at least one or two siblings, one older and/or younger and the younger one is usually annoying and last but not least, the teen contemplating whether or not to go to the school dance, which the school hypes up as a major event of the year. This one adds the superhero element to it.

I will watch this, hoping that all of those teenage tropes are done well. It can happen and it has happened. It's one of the reasons I loved the first 3 American Pie movies as it used those same tropes but diverted them in creative ways as well.

Which ones do you think will overlap?
Obi-Wan starts May 25th
Ms. Marvel starts June 8th

yeah these shows will come out the same day on Wednesdays. Personally I think they should spread them out, maybe one show on Wednesday and the other on Friday. I know they decided to put shows on Wednesdays and movies on Fridays but spreading out the premium shows (Marvel, Star Wars, etc) might be better. Only downside is when a Marvel or Star Wars movie comes out on a Friday, but they can always adjust that particular week’ releases IMO.

Looks fun.

Trailer was fine and I'm sure I'll enjoy the show, especially since I've become somewhat of a fan of the character but I'm not liking how they changed her powers. I wanna know why they went in that direction as I'm assuming it has to do with both budget restraints and the inhuman stuff in general.
Or they want to keep the stretchy powers unique to Reed Richards.

Looks fun.

Or they want to keep the stretchy powers unique to Reed Richards.

it's one of my biggest issues with the MCU at this point: too many characters with the same type of powers without any differences, either in powers or in look. I didn't mind that Bucky and Steve Rogers were super soldiers, but Bucky had the bionic arm, which makes him different than Steve. The Flag Smashers had nothing to distinguish themselves from Steve. I do hope that if the rumors of Skaar are true in She Hulk, at least give him a weapon he can use if his powers are the exact same as Bruce.

yeah these shows will come out the same day on Wednesdays. Personally I think they should spread them out, maybe one show on Wednesday and the other on Friday. I know they decided to put shows on Wednesdays and movies on Fridays but spreading out the premium shows (Marvel, Star Wars, etc) might be better. Only downside is when a Marvel or Star Wars movie comes out on a Friday, but they can always adjust that particular week’ releases IMO.
Yeah I’d prefer them spread out.

Also I misinterpreted your post. By overlapping I thought you were talking about characters crossing over into each other’s shows. :O

it's one of my biggest issues with the MCU at this point: too many characters with the same type of powers without any differences, either in powers or in look. I didn't mind that Bucky and Steve Rogers were super soldiers, but Bucky had the bionic arm, which makes him different than Steve. The Flag Smashers had nothing to distinguish themselves from Steve. I do hope that if the rumors of Skaar are true in She Hulk, at least give him a weapon he can use if his powers are the exact same as Bruce.
Yeah, variety is important, even amongst characters with similar powers. Bucky without the arm loses an important distinguishing visual feature. The flag smashers were terrible for multiple reasons but still are a good example of how boring it can get when all the powers are the same.

I'm thinking they wanted to tie Kamala to Carol by giving her Kree based powers (I know Terrigenesis is also Kree based, but Feige and company probably don't want to open up that can of worms). And having her display Quantum/Nega band based energy abilities would look less goofy than having her Embiggen. Though it certainly didn't help GL.

Yeah, variety is important, even amongst characters with similar powers. Bucky without the arm loses an important distinguishing visual feature. The flag smashers were terrible for multiple reasons but still are a good example of how boring it can get when all the powers are the same.

Likewise, I hope that a fully powered Monica Rambeau has different powers than Carol, at least offensively. Her defensive powers, which we saw in WandaVision like the bullets going through her and her vision makes her different that Carol from that standpoint, but I hope her offensive powers are different than Carol. It looks like based on the trailer that Kamala will have powers different that Carol, which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"