Sequels Marvel Studios' X-Men?

I think you're downplaying the outrageousness of the 1990s uniforms quite a bit. First, their color scheme consists of far more than blue and yellow. While characters like Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Wolverine make the most of the classic colorway (when Wolverine isn't wearing brown and tan), the rest of the team's colors are all over the place--Archangel in blue and pink. Colossus in red and yellow. Gambit in pink, black, and brown. Jubilee in red/pink, blue, and yellow. Rogue in green and yellow. Storm in all black, later interpreted as all white, etc.--

Second, the 1990s uniforms aren't very, well, uniform. They are all over the place in terms of style and practicality and lend themselves far more to something I would associate with cosplay than I ever would the black leather of the films--bright spandex adorned with random body armor and large metallic shoulder pads. Some team members covered from head to toe, while others are wearing the equivalent of bathing suits and underwear. Not to mention the various bomber jackets, trench coats, headdresses, headbands, belts, sashes, and red X's everywhere.
soooo true
lolollolol how did i miss this

Dudes, they had team uniforms in the 90s. All of them. I really don't get why that's so crazy to understand or admit. Not saying they didn't have individual outfits, or that they didn't modify the team ones to reflect the characters more. The films have had team uniforms so it safe to say they will go that route again when the school is back up.

I completely disagree with a majority of their outfits be it blue and yellow, black and yellow, ultimate based or their individual not being able to work. They all can with some tweaks, nothing needs to be exact from head to toe or flat out all spandax. It rarely is. I really don't care which route they go as long as they do something different, better and more X-Men then completely black.

As for military armor. Sure, it actually would have made more sense in DOFP to give everyone Wolverines more battle ready armor. Not just the guy who can heal. Might have wanted to give it to the girl who has to go in a trance for hours and is responsible for changing time. The All New team uniforms actually lend themselves to the type of more heavy weight suit Wolverine had in DOFP, only with more vibrant individual colors.

Last edited:
The blue and yellow are the most classic set of X-Men costumes. :huh:

Also I think matching uniforms should come back because the X-Men needs to be reestablished as a team, which is something they haven't fully had in sustained form since the X trilogy.

Its really not especially for certain characters. The *classic* costume for Psylocke, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine aren't the matching blue and yellow costumes from the comics. Those yellow and blue costumes are mostly iconic for the original 5 as a group. But as individuals no, the classic yellow/blue costume for Cyclops is the one used in the 90s cartoons, for Jean Grey, its probably the Phoenix costume, etc...

And when I mean by "classic" is the most used by people like in fan-arts, pop culture references...

Its really not especially for certain characters. The *classic* costume for Psylocke, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine aren't the matching blue and yellow costumes from the comics. Those yellow and blue costumes are mostly iconic for the original 5 as a group. But as individuals no, the classic yellow/blue costume for Cyclops is the one used in the 90s cartoons, for Jean Grey, its probably the Phoenix costume, etc...

And when I mean by "classic" is the most used by people like in fan-arts, pop culture references...

Beast's most iconic look is being blue and furry. Archangel's classic look is his navy blue and purple X-Factor uniform with metal wings. And Iceman's classic look has never mattered because he activates his ice armor and nobody sees under it.

The 60s costumes have never been the most important looks for the team.

And even back in the late 60s, Havok and Polaris weren't wearing the yellow costumes.

And even then, I doubt that Marvel would be all that interested in the O5 when some of the 70s and later additions to the team are among the most popular characters in the X-Men universe.

I'm not interested in seeing the classic uniform looks translated to screen so much as I'd like to see the X-uniforms get a little more color rather than the drab black leather they've had almost exclusively since 2000, during which time guys like Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor have all had their more iconic comic-booky looks translated to the screen.

Also, I can see Spider-Man returning to Marvel as a Netflix series. I can see Fantastic Four returning and getting a feature film series. But X-Men, if they return, are going to mess up all of Marvel Studios' plans.

We'd be looking at potentially three TV series (Alpha Flight, X-Factor and New Mutants) and X-Men, Wolverine and X-Force film franchises. Considering that Marvel is shooting for 4 films a year after Phase 3 is completed, getting the X-Men back is just going to force Marvel to have to readjust all thier plans just to deal with all the new IP they'd have on their hands. Like either tentpole 5 films a year from one studio which might lead to oversaturation or other films being canceled to make room for the X-Men.

We just got Guardians of the Galaxy and we're getting Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and probably Inhumans, Ms Marvel and Black Panther which are properties that would never appear if Marvel had access to the X-Men. Plus, Marvel also owns the rights to Blade, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Punisher, She-Hulk and Eternals. Those properties would just be pushed back so Marvel could market the X-Men.

A far more sane option would be Fox allowing Marvel Studios to use the Shi'Ar and Brood in Guardians of the Galaxy and Ms Marvel and in exchange, Fox gets to use Hit Monkey in Deadpool and Marvel agrees to co-produce TV series with Fox. Fox hasn't done anything with the Shi'Ar and Brood with the X-Men when they've held the rights for a good long time. At the same time, Marvel Studios is sitting on so many more popular and marketable characters and ideas that Hit Monkey will probably never be greenlit, while Fox can't make a live action TV show based on the X-Men and neither can Marvel. This is a perfect deal that both studios need to make.

^Now you're talkin'. Makes me wonder if Marvel couldn't use that as a way to get Fantastic Four back. They'd be all "Give us back FF, put an end to that madness, and in exchange you can go nuts with X-Men across multiple formats for years to come."

The thing is Fox would benefit less from negotiating with Disney by giving up the Fantastic Four even if Fox gets the live-action television rights or merchandize rights for X-Men in exchange.

Why do you think Fox didn't hand out Galactus/Silver Surfer in exchange for Daredevil? Clearly, Fox saw that those two characters could be essential to the future films of Marvel so Fox didn't deal with their offer. Well thats if that rumor is true. Disney would have benefited a lot from just getting back the Fantastic Four package. I think Fox is happy with their success with the X-Men movies even if they don't have movie tie-in merchandizes to sell and a X-Men spin-off show that they could air in one of their networks.

The difference is that Galactus and Silver Surfer are integral to the FF. Like you can't do the Fantastic Four without them.

And the Shi'Ar are only important as far as Xavier's love interest (who Moira MacTaggart or Amelia Voight can substitute for) and it's entirely possible to do a Dark Phoenix story without them. The Shi'Ar really haven't been that important to the X-Men since but Deathbird is an important Ms. Marvel villain, Galactic Storm is one of the best Avengers stories of all time and War of Kings is THE Gaurdians of the Galaxy story.

Then with the Brood, they had their first arc involve Ms Marvel. Then the second arc was literally three issues and they haven't been important to the X-Men since but they've made regular appearances for Ms Marvel.

And in exchange, Marvel is obligated to co-produce a show with Fox set in their X-Men universe with New Mutants being a high school drama with a supervillain showing up every three or four episodes and airing on Fox who desperately need a good primetime TV show and both studios would be able to branch out to younger females as a target audience.

Then an X-Factor show that's a tale of mercenaries contracted by the government to investigate superhuman activity and would be a combination of a Strike Back, X-Files and The Office and would air on FX which gets most of Fox's better shows anyway and is a good way to lock Jennifer Lawrence down.

Alpha Flight would be used to promote FXX which really needs more subscribers and a great TV show to push it.

And Fox would pay Marvel up front to produce these shows while Fox would get all the ad revenue.

Fox would also get Hit Monkey to use in Deadpool so while they may be losing some core IP, they get a character who Marvel would never use but Fox absolutely would within the context of a Deadpool movie.

The Silver Surfer deal was a bad deal. With this deal, both studios win, they both get IP that they want and they both get to make more money off of television. Unless both studios hate money, they'd be stupid to not make this deal.

If disney really wanted the FF they had 2 deals they could have offered Fox

1:Give fox control of everything X-Men.Merchandize.Animation.TV
2:Extend fox's home video rights for star wars episodes 1-3,5,and 6 and resume the 3-d rereleases of Star wars films.

The thing is Fox would benefit less from negotiating with Disney by giving up the Fantastic Four even if Fox gets the live-action television rights or merchandize rights for X-Men in exchange.

I think you're underestimating how lucrative merchandise revenue is.

Since acquiring the brand in January 2010, Marvel properties have helped Disney add $1 billion in annual sales in its Consumer Products group.
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/how-g...produce-another-1-billion-for-disney-cm378560

On its earnings conference call, Vasily Karasyov, an analyst at Sterne Agee, asked for clarification on Disney's three billion-dollar brands and was corrected by chairman and CEO Bob Iger, who said the company now had eight:
Karasyov: You mentioned that you now have three $1 billion franchise properties in consumer products revenue. I think I know two of them, Princess and Star Wars. Do you mind telling me what the third one is?

Iger: The third one is followed by five others and we have eight. Pooh, Mickey Mouse, Monsters, Star Wars, Spider-Man, Cars, Disney Junior, and Princess ... And all over $1 billion in global retail sales in fiscal 2014.
http://www.businessinsider.com/disneys-billion-dollar-merchandise-brands-2014-8

Merchandise featuring Marvel’s superheroes, Disney’s princesses, Pixar’s toons and Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars” helped the Mouse House ring up a record $40.9 billion in global retail sales in 2013.
The sales topped 2012’s $39.4 billion, $37.5 billion, in 2011, and $28.6 billion in 2010, according to Disney Consumer Products. Those kinds of numbers have long made the company the world’s top licensor.
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/di...from-licensed-merchandise-in-2013-1201221813/

Marvel is not going to barter away any
merchandising rights.​

And disney isn't doing much with FF and X-Men merchandising rights.

Thus your unlikely to see any deals between Fox and Disney.

They have done some things, but always things based on the comics, never anything from the films. For example there was a DoFP mobile game released, but it was based purely on the original comic book.

2:Extend fox's home video rights for star wars episodes 1-3,5,and 6 and resume the 3-d rereleases of Star wars films.

Definitely never going to happen, getting full control of the Star Wars films would mean far more to Disney than getting the FF.

Definitely never going to happen, getting full control of the Star Wars films would mean far more to Disney than getting the FF.

They never will get full control of star wars films.Fox owns A new Hope forever.
Come 2020 you will never see box sets of A new hope with other star wars films Inless a deal Is made.

They never will get full control of star wars films.Fox owns A new Hope forever.
Come 2020 you will never see box sets of A new hope with other star wars films Inless a deal Is made.

Which is terrific news for fans of a Marvel films - there's too much money riding on the Star Wars franchise for FOX and Marvel not to make a deal. And if they can come to terms on that, why not work on a deal that will allow both the MCU and the X-Men franchise to thrive?

Disney would never make this deal. I can see them trading Hit Monkey and the live action TV rights but everything you listed happen to be things that Disney would rather have and as I've stated before, Marvel doesn't need the FF as much as they need the Shi'Ar and Brood.

And why do we keep talking about him in the same breath as guys like Silver Surfer?

Who's Hit Monkey?

Pretty much what it sounds like, he's a monkey assassin. And that's about it haha. Mostly showed up in Daniel Ways Deadpool, but he's really not even that big of a Deadpool rival. Only showed up in like 5 issues or less. Remember right before they announced the Deadpool game they were trolling everyone and making it look like it was a Hit Monkey game?

James Gunn actually went into Marvel with a pitch for a film about him before he got GOTG. With as much pull as Gunn will have now, I'd bet he's willing to use him down the line with his interest in the character. With space dogs, racoons and ducks he can fit in pretty easily there if Gunn wants to add him. That's a change that no one would care about and actually make the character more popular. So can't see Marvel wanting to get rid of him...or Fox actually wanting that character in the first place.

If Fox trades anything to benefit Deadpool it should be Bob Agent Of Hydra or Task Master. Not Hit Monkey.
They have done some things, but always things based on the comics, never anything from the films. For example there was a DoFP mobile game released, but it was based purely on the original comic book.

Yup, they make their cash on the comic based merch. They aint gonna give that up.

Last edited:
At first, I was thinking it might be a popular villain of Deadpool but I never heard the name before. So thanks for the reply.

And IF Fox eventually makes a Deadpool movie, X-Men already has a HUGE rogues gallery, it won't be hard for them to choose a villain for Deadpool.

Agreed. There's plenty to choose from. The amount of X-Men related characters is pretty insane as are the useable Deadpool characters.

Fox doesn't really need anything else. Someone like Bob can probably be used by just cutting off the association with Hydra like they did with Viper.

^Now you're talkin'. Makes me wonder if Marvel couldn't use that as a way to get Fantastic Four back. They'd be all "Give us back FF, put an end to that madness, and in exchange you can go nuts with X-Men across multiple formats for years to come."

I wouldn't mind this, Fox has really done good with First Class, The Wolverine, and DOFP. I have faith in X-Men under Fox again, it seems to be doing well for Fox. I don't understand why they are wasting time with the FF at this point when they should be building a X-Men Universe instead.

If they didn't make F4 this year they would lose the rights I believe. So they kind of had to if they want to keep it. But I agree, they should focus on the X-Men.

The difference is that Galactus and Silver Surfer are integral to the FF. Like you can't do the Fantastic Four without them.

And the Shi'Ar are only important as far as Xavier's love interest (who Moira MacTaggart or Amelia Voight can substitute for) and it's entirely possible to do a Dark Phoenix story without them. The Shi'Ar really haven't been that important to the X-Men since but Deathbird is an important Ms. Marvel villain, Galactic Storm is one of the best Avengers stories of all time and War of Kings is THE Gaurdians of the Galaxy story.

Then with the Brood, they had their first arc involve Ms Marvel. Then the second arc was literally three issues and they haven't been important to the X-Men since but they've made regular appearances for Ms Marvel.

And in exchange, Marvel is obligated to co-produce a show with Fox set in their X-Men universe with New Mutants being a high school drama with a supervillain showing up every three or four episodes and airing on Fox who desperately need a good primetime TV show and both studios would be able to branch out to younger females as a target audience.

Then an X-Factor show that's a tale of mercenaries contracted by the government to investigate superhuman activity and would be a combination of a Strike Back, X-Files and The Office and would air on FX which gets most of Fox's better shows anyway and is a good way to lock Jennifer Lawrence down.

Alpha Flight would be used to promote FXX which really needs more subscribers and a great TV show to push it.

And Fox would pay Marvel up front to produce these shows while Fox would get all the ad revenue.

Fox would also get Hit Monkey to use in Deadpool so while they may be losing some core IP, they get a character who Marvel would never use but Fox absolutely would within the context of a Deadpool movie.

The Silver Surfer deal was a bad deal. With this deal, both studios win, they both get IP that they want and they both get to make more money off of television. Unless both studios hate money, they'd be stupid to not make this deal.

Some good thoughts in here.

As for the Brood, they just seemed like a rip-off of the Alien xenomorphs at the time, so they'd have to be heavily reinterpreted for the screen (especially since Fox has the Alien rights). But I wouldn't mind them being handed over.

I quite like Shi'ar, Starjammers and Imperial Guard (much more appealing to me than Guardians). But whether the X-Men movies ever get to the realms of space opera and intergalactic shenanigans is another matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"