Marvel took away my Thing.

The Question said:
My blood boils with the white hot rage of one thousand radioactive marching pants! Actions must be taken. I say, we take a trip to the Marvel offices. With some mayonnaise.

Buddy I'll bring the cheese!

:up: :mad:

Instead of getting pissy about it, the best thing to do right now is keep buying any other Dan SLott book and make sure they succeed.

gildea said:
and marvel gave spidergirl, captain marvel and black panther a lot more than that.

I don't think it's intrinsically true that dc would hold on longer.

Look at the circumstances of those books you mentioned, Tom Defalco was former EIC and was owed that much (plus he's a insider) so Spider-girl was saved.

Peter David is a guy not afraid to air out Marvel's dirty laundry so to stave him off they indulged him cause he's considered 'the Hulk writer'.

Black Panther by Chris Priest deserved to keep going, aside from that it was Axel Alonso's Albatross he was going to make that book a success bad place or high water. Plus Marvel want's the minority demographic (particularly African-American dollars.)

Darthphere said:
Instead of getting pissy about it, the best thing to do right now is keep buying any other Dan SLott book and make sure they succeed.

She-Hulks already on the pull list since last year.

:up:

So.....Let's make these next 2 issues sell the **** out. I'm gonna buy 2 and then the next day (once everyone has had a fair shake) I'm gonna buy the rest.

Okay I probably wont....But I miss it already.

Somebody should start a "Slott for Spider-man" website, encourage people to visit the site, collect votes and then send it onto Marvel - to show how much support there is for this cause

deemar325 said:
Look at the circumstances of those books you mentioned, Tom Defalco was former EIC and was owed that much (plus he's a insider) so Spider-girl was saved.

Peter David is a guy not afraid to air out Marvel's dirty laundry so to stave him off they indulged him cause he's considered 'the Hulk writer'.

Black Panther by Chris Priest deserved to keep going, aside from that it was Axel Alonso's Albatross he was going to make that book a success bad place or high water. Plus Marvel want's the minority demographic (particularly African-American dollars.)

As I mentioned earlier I was merely playing devils avocate (partly due to beer :( ). DC do tend to keep books a lot longer, however your arguments have been pretty much proven wrong regarding these particular titles.

Spider-girl has always been saved by a letter writing campaign (except i think defalco has asked for that not to happen this time, unsure).

Peter david argued about a price increase not the cancellation, the end result of which was a price increase, marvel didn't seem too intent on pacifying him. David is a good writer but he is not a writer marvel need to keep happy evidently. (but he's happy now).

If marvel wanted the minority demograph so badly to keep a failing book around why was the quite excellent 'the crew' cancelled so quickly?

I don't disagree with your point per se (dc will keep books around longer) but your line of reasoning is flawed going on what has happened in the past, and relies on a recently bankrupt company risking the loss of monet just to keep certain people happy. I doubt it.

Anyone know how the thing compares in sales figures to spider-girl, captain marvel and black panther?

Personally i think its a result of marvel's far more conservative approach these days compared to the jemas era.

It's kind of sad that PAD's still not a name that equates to instant sales. He's had so much great work over his career.
WOLVERINE25TH said:
If I could afford multiple copies I'd get 'em.
Same here. :(

haha

wait no thats a bad thing, sorry slott

More proof that todays fans are idiots.

I'm down to 4 Marvel titles now.

Darthphere said:
Thats like a year away. And isnt Loeb and Campbell taking over?:confused:

No one has come right out and said it in any interviews I've read. But they are supposed to be on an ongoing Spider-Man title. So, who knows it could be any of them. But I thought I read somewhere that JMS was definitely leaving the book in 2007...but it could also have been my imagination.

Darthphere said:

And don't forget tpbs. Those little digests are what gave Runaways a second life. So if they put anything out, don't forget to get them as stocking stuffers or birthday presents for little bro's, sis's, nieces, nephews, etc. I did this for all of mine, and Spider-Man/Human Torch was one of the favorites.

Beyond that: start supporting these quality titles that contain all the stuff that you guys say that you want: continuity, de-decompression, humor, action, characterization. My favorite is MTU which will also be on the chopping block, but there are others. What, do we actually have to beat people over the head? Stop complaining about Marvel this, and Marvel that, if you don't want to support great stuff, or try and drum up a little support.

iloveclones said:
Beyond that: start supporting these quality titles that contain all the stuff that you guys say that you want: continuity, de-decompression, humor, action, characterization. My favorite is MTU which will also be on the chopping block, but there are others. What, do we actually have to beat people over the head? Stop complaining about Marvel this, and Marvel that, if you don't want to support great stuff, or try and drum up a little support.

Agreed. There is only so much your voice can do before it starts to annoy someone. Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

I don't know. I've come to a point where I don't really care anymore. They cancel a book I was enjoying, all I can say is, eh. Move on to the next hidden gem that everybody else is too busy buying crap ash issues of X-men or Spider-Man to notice. And there are plenty. I blame everybody that didn't buy it. I hope they get crotch cancer. :)

^see, this is why you're one of my best friends here, Anub ;)

Anubis said:
I don't know. I've come to a point where I don't really care anymore. They cancel a book I was enjoying, all I can say is, eh. Move on to the next hidden gem that everybody else is too busy buying crap ash issues of X-men or Spider-Man to notice. And there are plenty. I blame everybody that didn't buy it. I hope they get crotch cancer. :)

Crotch rot is more effective.

Darthphere said:
The problem here is that they don't give time to projects the management doesn't feel.

Truth.

Doc Destruction said:
Sigh. Morons. Marvel has their tastebuds in their ash.

Sorry, Dan. DC could always use more amazing writers :)

Indeed,readers can go from Civil War to The Thing,but no.

Go on to DC,that`s where the appreciation is at.

Jourmugand said:
Indeed,readers can go from Civil War to The Thing,but no.

Go on to DC,that`s where the appreciation is at.

Brubaker.:o

Did DC really treat Brubaker badly, or did they just not give him high profile books right away? He had some highly critically acclaimed books regardless, like Gotham Central, Catwoman, and Sleeper.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Did DC really treat Brubaker badly, or did they just not give him high profile books right away? He had some highly critically acclaimed books regardless, like Gotham Central, Catwoman, and Sleeper.

Brubaker was pretty much put on the sidleines writing books like Catwoman while Johns, Rucka, Morrison and Waid got to shape the whole DCu into their image. Marvel came along offered him high profile books and he took them for their word.

Fair enough, but I don't think that's really a case of mistreating a creator. Marvel has yet to offer Slott anything high profile, but he seems to be happy sticking with them.

Offering a high profile book to Slott is what Marvel needs to do.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Fair enough, but I don't think that's really a case of mistreating a creator. Marvel has yet to offer Slott anything high profile, but he seems to be happy sticking with them.

Some people are happy doing low profile books, I dont know if thats the case with Dan Slott, he may want to answer this. Brubaker seemed to want to get on some high profile books and Marvel offered him that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"