The Defenders Marvel Working With Netflix and ABC on Additional Series.

Dasher10

I'm like Deadpool IRL
Reaction score
From Umberto Gonzales

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/5/31/a-look-inside-marvels-phase-2-of-netflix-shows

Allegedly, Netflix want more Marvel series and want to work with Marvel on Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider but Netflix are concerned that these characters are too violent and two of them have supernatural elements. That along with the sheer cost of bringing Ghost Rider to life.

Personally, I share Netflix's concern about the cost of Ghost Rider. That's the only R-rated IP Marvel own which requires a film budget and clearly their biggest box office draw for Phase 4 after Thunderbolts. I'd go full splatter film with it and pepper it with dark humor.

The other two SHOULD be brought to Netflix. Blade has a great supporting cast and rogues gallery which were barely even touched on in the films. For instance, we got a Dracula In Name Only and Doctor Sun didn't appear at all. Then there's the Lucas Cross arc which came out after the films. Plus, with a TV series as opposed to a film, we can get some episodes from Dracula's point of view.

Punisher is a character to be concerned about being too violent. At a time when the public is concerned about police brutality, a series about a vigilante who guns down crooks even as they surrender is going to be a hard sell. The only options are

1. Toning him down, at which point he'll stop being unique as a character and the target audience of Dexter fans won't like Punisher as much as they liked Dexter.

2. Making him deliberately unlikable. At this point, the violence would be intentionally distasteful with Frank Castle strangling a suspect as he pleads, "I can't breathe" and Frank replies with, "**** your breath" as an allusion to real world excessive force. The problem with this take is that there's nobody left to root for. Look at the reception to the recent video game Hatred. Hatred is viewed as a being, bleak, childish and deeply unlikable. I'm not sure if making Frank just as bad, if not worse than who he fights is going to get him to sell to today's audiences. We might be able to empathize with Frank, but going full Garth Ennis means we won't be able to sympathize.

Either way, I'm not really sure if Punisher is appealing to 2015 America. I'm not even sure if he works as escapist fantasy until police shootings of unarmed suspects go down.

However, I would like to see Moon Knight and Elektra. Moon Knight is willing to kill and one of his defining moments is cutting a man's face off and carrying it with him but he's a far more likable character than Punisher since he still has a core morality and lines he won't cross. Plus he fits a TV show better than he does a film since his schizophrenia would make him an unreliable narrator. We'd get events getting retconned with each episode to the point where an entire season is an acid trip.

Elektra is an assassin but she is also focused on combating The Hand. I'd also like the story where a Hand operative is running for President, Garrett would need to be changed to Deathlok as the reprogrammed SHIELD cyborg for obvious reasons but Elektra is one of Marvel's best characters and deserves her own series.

As for the ABC series. I can't speak to Cloak and Dagger as they're not characters I've ever followed. A Ms. Marvel series before Captain Marvel hits theaters would be a disaster considering that Kamala Kahn's entire inspiration is Carol Danvers. A Hulk prequel would fail for a very obvious reason. The only two villains who can work on a TV budget are Mister Hyde (who has his origins on Agents of SHIELD and is already tied to a weekly series) and Mercy along with Thunderbolt Ross who will never becoming Red Hulk since this is a prequel and we won't get Leader or Abomination since Sterns and Blonsky both had their origins during TIH. Even if the effects for Hulk can work, look at who he fights. ZZZAAAXX may work with TV-level CGI and Armageddon may work with a lot of prosthetic work but they're both big maybes or else they'll look cheap with Hulk himself eating up most of the budget. The ones who can't be done are Flux, Ravage, Madman, Half-Life, Maestro and the entire Gamma Corps. So I really, really hope you like Mercy as she'll be the only major villain from the comics. The other problem is Hulk himself since in order to keep production values high, we're looking at a lot less Savage Hulk, no Professor or Worldbreaker and the series being a crime series featuring an evil Hulk named Joe Fixit working for the mob in Vegas since Joe Fixit is smaller and can easily be a bodybuilder in grey body paint.

If Marvel and ABC really want a Hulk TV show with Mark Ruffalo, the best ways to do it are with She-Hulk with Hulk sometimes guest starring as Banner since She-Hulk can be done with green body paint and TV-level special effects which would look cheesy would fit the tone since She-Hulk is a at it's core, a comedy series. Think a legal comedy series with all sorts of minor bit players from the comics as plaintiffs and defendants in property damage court while Jen Walters is forced to negotiate with Damage Control and every few episodes fight Titania and the Wrecking Crew. She breaks the fourth wall, snarks and gets in absolutely crazy situations. How can Marvel not do a She-Hulk show?

The other option is to make Ruffalo a main cast member with the West Coast Avengers in Avengers Academy. It'll mostly be a teen show with members drawn from both Young Avengers and Avengers Academy but it'll also have many cast members who aren't getting their own film in Phase 3 like Don Cheadle, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr, Michael Douglass, Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly as the faculty. They'll all be done in Early 2017 anyway. Set it in The Works which would be stated to be near Tony Stark's mansion in Malibu, California and use some of the cheesier, older villains who would never work in another series like Porcupine or Melter.

And what's referred to as a, "pipe dream" is a Netflix film based around Black Widow or Hawkeye. It's said to be unlikely but if it happens, Netflix is the best place due to scheduling and the most natural Black Widow stories like Abbitoir and Homecoming being a bit too violent for a PG-13 rating. With Hawkeye, it's that he's never been the most popular character but a film based on the Matt Fraction run could work.

If they're willing to go as violent/gritty as they were with DD, the both Punisher and Blade are doable. And Blade opens up the supernatural side of the MCU on TV, like Doctor Strange will likely do on film.

Kamala would be tricky, but also doable. I think that people like her more for HER character, not because of her Carol fangirl-ness (those two have STILL not met face to face in the comics yet in fact).

Elektra is a no-brainer.

I would still *really* prefer a Nightstalkers show, rather than a Blade solo. Lets give Hannibal King some of the attention he deserves.

Personally I'f love seeing a Netflix/Punisher series, a large majority of America would be much better off if they got over themselves just a little, and quit taking something meant to be entertainment so seriously.

If they're willing to go as violent/gritty as they were with DD, the both Punisher and Blade are doable. And Blade opens up the supernatural side of the MCU on TV, like Doctor Strange will likely do on film.

Kamala would be tricky, but also doable. I think that people like her more for HER character, not because of her Carol fangirl-ness (those two have STILL not met face to face in the comics yet in fact).

Elektra is a no-brainer.

Actually, Iron Fist is going to open up the supernatural side of the MCU on TV and it's going to follow Doctor Strange. Blade is an obvious choice plus he has a great supporting cast. We don't need to go full Nightstalkers for branding but Hannibal King, Frank Drake and Rachel Van Helsing all need to appear. The old Tomb of Dracula comics were an ensemble. Let them continue to be so and let Dracula sometimes take the lead in an episode.

I'm still kind of shocked that Moon Knight isn't in the cards yet. Moon Knight is far more practical than Ghost Rider and fits the Defenders universe like a glove.

Last edited:
Just give me another show with real heroes and villains, not spy shows set in a universe with much more interesting things happening elsewhere.

More Daredevil, less Agent(s of) Carter/SHIELD

And what's referred to as a, "pipe dream" is a Netflix film based around Black Widow or Hawkeye. It's said to be unlikely but if it happens, Netflix is the best place due to scheduling and the most natural Black Widow stories like Abbitoir and Homecoming being a bit too violent for a PG-13 rating. With Hawkeye, it's that he's never been the most popular character but a film based on the Matt Fraction run could work.
I want to know what happened in Budapest.:cmad:

Last edited:
I really think the article is casually blending reporting scoops with rumors and speculation. It's hard to say anything is definitive there. However, some of those would be fun.

I want to know what happened in Budapest.:cmad:

I do too but I also really like Abattoir and Homecoming as stories. There's a LOT that can be done with Black Widow.

I'm calling bs. This has all been characters that have either been fan speculation or in development hell for such a long time. Keep the Defenders street level with magic coming from the Iron Fist side of things.

Blade and the other characters can wait till Dr Strange gets his movie, then fit into that magic world.

Ghost Rider I think should get his own movie. Netflix just doesn't suit him.

Blade and Punisher I'd like to see next on Netflix or TV. I heard rumors of a Hulk prequel series. Personally I'd rather have an Incredible Hulk sequel. If anything I'd like a She Hulk TV series(with a Matt Murdock cameo in a court scene at some point). Besides, you can never have too many female heroes.

I simply cannot see a Hulk show happening, ever. Everything that applies for Ghost Rider applies for Hulk, only there are also radically different genre expectations, *and* a current standard of comparison from the movies.

I'd hazard a guess the only reason Kamala even has a Carol fangirlness in the comics is because they needed a justification to give her Carol's former secret identity and similar costume. Since Carol will become Captain Marvel from the get go in the MCU there's really no reason to bind Kamala's introduction to Carol's.

I simply cannot see a Hulk show happening, ever. Everything that applies for Ghost Rider applies for Hulk, only there are also radically different genre expectations, *and* a current standard of comparison from the movies.

I agree. Ghost Rider and Hulk are too expensive to do well on TV, particularly when there are cheaper options like Moon Knight. Elektra and Punisher are also appearing on Daredevil's second season and there's some great spin-off potential there. I also predict that we'll see White Tiger (first Hector then Ava) on Luke Cage and Moon Knight and Shang-Chi on Iron Fist.

I'd love to see Moon Knight done in Netflix! The question, though, is, how to make it "distinct" from Daredevil, Iron Fist, or even Arrow? Something that I think might be key are these things; Marc Spector's relationship with Marlene(I think the Duncan Macloud-Tessa Noel chemistry in the first season of the 90's Highlander series should be an example), the use of the other personalities of Steven Grant and Jake Lockley, and the strong influence of Khonsu in Spector's life.

As for who for the title role? For some reason Zane Holtz(From Dusk Till Dawn:The Series) comes to mind.
tumblr_n3h9g5O1Yo1tvbcl4o1_500.gif

Last edited:
First, I only know of Blade through the movies and not through the comics. But I'm really wondering how a Blade would fit into the MCU. I don't know if I want the supernatural stuff that comes from Blade belonging in the same universe. Would this really work well?

Why not? All the weird stuff in the MCU thus far, and more coming still. But magic/the supernatural is going "too far?" No, I don't believe that, not at all.

I mean Thor co-exists with Daredevil, and soon enough with Dr. Strange too. It'd work fine. As for Ghost Rider, I'd prefer netflix for him too because it'd force them to put story and characterization first and really put effort into the series. But if we could get say, George Miller to put it on screen as a huge dark humor-y spectacle, then that'd be fine too.

The only issue with Ghost Rider on TV is budget. To do it right, you'd need A LOT of money.

I'm not buying the rumors as-is. I'll wait for an official press release before I believe anything. Marvel-Disney owns GR and Blade and that's the most important thing. A guest appearance should be carefully thought out before any series commitment. Also, Blade "failed" as a series at Spike TV. Doesn't mean Marvel can't try again but I'd suggest less vampire politics, more action. And Blade should have had a love interest.

I find it amusing that we had three different female leads in three different Blade movies, and NONE of them became a flat-out love interest. The closest was probably Nyssa Damaskinos (who I'd actually like to see introduced into the comics) in Blade II. But even that didn't actually go all the way with it.

What's even more amusing is that Blade was apparently supposed to have love scenes with all three of them, but in each case it got cut out of the movie.

In the comics right now, Blade is dating the British Superheroine Spitfire (and yes, the irony of Blade dating a VAMPIRE superheroine is not lost on me).

There's no problem at all with Marvel having magical characters in the setting, seeing as they've had magical characters in the setting for years. The problem is more, how do you introduce *vampires* into the setting in a way that doesn't create gaping plot holes. You have SHIELD active for decades as a high tech superspy organization with global reach and purview. This puts a limit on how numerous and overt vampires can be without hitting "there is no way SHIELD didn't spot vampiric society and begin a rather apocalyptic war of vampiric genocide".

Speaking of vampires, Morbius could be another character with potential to carry a series of his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"