Marvelman returns in June

It's not like they've never done the permanent visitor from another timeline/dimension thing before. So all his stuff happened back home but he gets stuck here.

I just don't want him to turn into the Sentry. I hated that character. He was interesting at first but soon after he just turned me completely off him. I was really happy he was killed off and was pissed when they had that sappy funeral for him. MM is a great character on his own and doesn't really need to be forced into the slot of Big strong flying brick 'not superman' guy like others have been. Speaking of which, what happened to Gladiator from the Shiar? Last I saw he took over after Lilandra died in the WoK series.

Oh cool. I heard they were finally rereleasing these, but I didn't know they were sticking with the MiracleMan name, which I also prefer. Very good :up:

I'm only really interested in getting a hold of the Moore issues. That's all I've read and loved but couldn't get a complete run of (and eventually sold). I'm nervous about the prices, but we'll see. If I manage to collect those through to the end, then I'll probably keep going on Gaiman's run.

I'm worried about the prices, too. The majority of Moore's run, starting at issue 6, clocked in at about 16 pages of story each issue until his last two issues which were typical length. If it's 4 bucks a pop, i'd argue that's reasonable. If it's 5 or more, I'd prefer to trade wait.

So what kind of supplemental material will go with the individual issues, if they are of a shorter length than today's American comics?

No idea. Probably interviews with other creators, tributes, and all that jazz. Would be really cool if they reprinted the letters column, as there were alot of insightful discussions there.

Looks like the MiracleMan books will be $4.99...

Issue #1 will be $5.99

Still worth it in my opinion. :yay:

Seems pretty average pricing that they would use for any other book.

so when all this comes out: then what? For a certain demographic of comics fan this is 'holy grail' or 'unicorn' territory, you have folks who look at even reprints as semi-sacreligious. But with the exception of Gaiman's concluding issue(s) (I suspect there will only be a few at best), it's all archival material. Mr. Moore has publicly disavowed being associated with it and any future incarnations. Is the character to be exploited for "further" comics, or is this the "definitive" ending to the saga? So many people are against the character coming into the "regular" Marvel Universe-- but in Miracleman's own, the story (if Gaiman is to be believed) is wrapping up. What about multimedia efforts (i.e., cartoon, live-action film, etc.)?

On a side note: I felt that the "All New X-Men" time-travel conceit could have been handled better if the original 5 were plucked from a timestream where it really was 1963, and all the characters had a social worldview based on that. If any kind of "cross-world" entry of Miracleman/Marvelman happens, it should be the "original" 1960s era Silver Age version, rather than the very dark, gloomy-context version of the 1980s events.

Seems pretty average pricing that they would use for any other book.

Um... what? Marvel's prices are mostly $4 with some lingering $3 comics. This officially begins the jump to $5 ongoing.

Anyway, I don't know that I'll bother with this. I'd like to, but with us moving in a week or two and bills being tighter, I don't know if I want to bother with a $5 comic that I've already read. I guess I'll wait to see if the $6 first issue is worth it on a skim (hint... it won't be, but I'm a sucker).

I don't believe this begins an era of $5 on-goings... Marvel knows that a select group of people will pick this up... back issue prices are ridiculously high, especially the Gaimen issues (I suspect due to much lower print runs), so "most" people will pay the extra dollar... also, I have no idea how long these issues are, but we know they're going to contain added superfluous material, so there might be more pages...

In any event, I look forward to rereading this stuff... I know most of it is going to be rather tame compared to modern books, but this stuff really rocked the comic book world when it first saw print in Warrior Magazine as well as in it's own books...

:yay:

Um... what? Marvel's prices are mostly $4 with some lingering $3 comics. This officially begins the jump to $5 ongoing.

Anyway, I don't know that I'll bother with this. I'd like to, but with us moving in a week or two and bills being tighter, I don't know if I want to bother with a $5 comic that I've already read. I guess I'll wait to see if the $6 first issue is worth it on a skim (hint... it won't be, but I'm a sucker).

It's not uncommon for a #1 issue to be $5. From #2 onwards it's going to be the standard $4. My point was they're not over-charging (well, more than they normally do :o)

It's not uncommon for a #1 issue to be $5. From #2 onwards it's going to be the standard $4. My point was they're not over-charging (well, more than they normally do :o)

#1 is 6 bucks... #2 is 5 bucks...

BUT... #1 has 64 pages, and #2 has 48 pages... so let's hope the extra content is worth it.

Heh heh... I just rechecked the solits... they mention all the creators by name EXCEPT for Alan Moore... he gets called "THE ORIGINAL WRITER"...

I can appreciate that Marvel is respecting his wishes for not wanting anything to do with this...

I don't believe this begins an era of $5 on-goings... Marvel knows that a select group of people will pick this up... back issue prices are ridiculously high, especially the Gaimen issues (I suspect due to much lower print runs), so "most" people will pay the extra dollar... also, I have no idea how long these issues are, but we know they're going to contain added superfluous material, so there might be more pages...

I see your point, but I still think this is the start of the $5 ongoing. People will buy this title based on hype and hard-to-find original prints. Marvel will see that a comic can support a $5 price point and will slowly start bumping their other titles up like when they bumped them up from $3 to $4. It won't be immediate, but it'll happen... and it's starting right here.

Oh, I read it wrong.

It doesn't matter. Considering the page size, the scope of this return and how long awaited it's been, it's not like it's that outrageous.

I see your point, but I still think this is the start of the $5 ongoing. People will buy this title based on hype and hard-to-find original prints. Marvel will see that a comic can support a $5 price point and will slowly start bumping their other titles up like when they bumped them up from $3 to $4. It won't be immediate, but it'll happen... and it's starting right here.

Sorry but I just don't see it. Miracleman is a big enough deal to do this. It's not like one of the other every other year relaunches. This is a character that hasn't been published in a long time.

You don't think the hardcore X-Men or Spider-Man fans won't begrudgingly buy Uncanny X-Men or Amazing Spider-Man for $5 an issue? I think we've all been slave to comics long enough to know that they would. I have no doubt about that. Then when people get used to spending $5 on the core books, Marvel will slowly start easing the $4 secondary comics up to $5 as well. Just like they did at $3 and $4 comics. I'm willing to put money on it I'm so confident.

I agree with runaway... MiracleMan is a VERY special case...

I can't believe you guys don't think Marvel would jump ongoings up to $5 if this sells well. That just flabbergasts me.

Are you at all familiar with the publishing history of Miracleman, JH?

Anything's possible... I just don't see it right away...

Themanofbat, just a question I've kept forgetting to ask you. Is your location a dig at me? If so, why? I've forgotten any reason to have annoyed you in the past.

Also, just to keep it on topic, have the confirmed they're finishing the storyline and series?

Yeah, why?

Because you're taking this sky is falling approach with the pricing of this book. Back issues of Miracleman comics are so rare and expensive that the high price is somewhat understandable. I really don't think that Marvel could get away with doing that with all their books just based off the success of this single book.

Will we see $5 books one day....yeah probably. We'll also probably see gas at $6 per gallon, milk at $5 per gallon and stamps at 75 cents. Inflation is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"