Marvel's Agents of SHIELD 6x01 "Missing Pieces" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' started by Ozbridge, May 1, 2019.

1. Ozbridge

Ozbridge Registered

Director: Clark Gregg
    Writer: Maurissa Tancharoen

Air date: May 10 2019

2. Panacea

Panacea Registered

3. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

So many new faces...

4. terry78

terry78 We'll be right back

yeah I guess it'll all be explained at some point.

5. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

They just said there's a lot of new people recruited.

6. terry78

7. terry78

The Controller, huh?

8. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I'll be honest, I'm not bothered by the lack of MCU connections. But it would have been nice to have some more Marvel connections.

ETA: Do we think it's the Iron Man villain, Controller? He does have Thanos connections, but he's always been an Earth-based villain.

9. Random490

Random490 Registered

I was hoping they would ADR something in last minute. They don't have to really change anything big, just a short mention would do. Something like "the world's finally gotten a bit stable since Thanos" is all I need.

10. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I mean, in theory people don't exposition things they all know like they do in television. There's no reason for them to say it beyond telling the audience (and we already know). But there should be some visible consequences.

11. JohnCarlton

JohnCarlton Registered

#11 JohnCarlton, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    eon001 likes this.
  12. Zarex

Zarex Registered

The Wakandan snap occurred at approximately the same time as last year's finale. The only way this season, which takes place a year after the events of Infinity, is taking place pre-snap would be if the show is in a completely different reality than the cinematic MCU.

With the multiverse opening up in Endgame, the simplest explanation is that AOS takes place in a different timeline in which Coulson lived. And Odinson went for the head.

Smurphftw and ludovica like this.
  13. Spikey

Spikey Registered

Even if it ignores the final episodes of season 5? I mean, those episodes happen during the battle of Wakanda... And if I remember correctly, Gravitron/Talbot wanted to get stronger so he could defeat Thanos all by himself and become the "one who saved us all"

He even says "Well, then, I've got to get down there with the Avengers and take on this Thanos!"

What a mess

Smurphftw likes this.
  14. JohnCarlton

JohnCarlton Registered

Think of it this way this is probably one of the many alternate timelins
    Technically Infinity War NEVER happens with a past version of a certain character (that jump started it all) is now in the future & all of that. So Endgame does erase Infinity War from the timeline

15. SPO2 Dalisay

SPO2 Dalisay Back in the service

I think everybody disagrees with that one from Bruce Banner and the Sorcerer Supreme's explanation of the Infinity War time travel theory.
    However Agents of SHIELD had their own time travel by a different method than Thanos used so once the theory gets its first actual test you can say you now have proof against it being the only way.

Until the sports bar scene I was going with you just don't talk about it everyday. But with the background comparing sports events on the screens to the New York background seen in Endgame said let that go. No surprise is coming.

It was a good season premiere coming off of Cloak & Dagger's best episode and the big but ignored show. Simmons dark side emerges again. I do wonder if they made jumps back to earth or SHIELD made some intergalactic allies to get the rest of the crew who gave up the hunt for Fitz back to earth.

Big SHIELD is defiantly back, probably after Chicago the need was again appreciated

Kay Garvey likes this.
  16. JohnCarlton

JohnCarlton Registered

This feels like Game Of Thrones lazy writing. Two characters that made Infinity War possible has different outcomes. One dies YEARS BEFORE Infinity War happens & the other is in a place wher Infinity War can now never happen. For the MCU Infinity War now NEVER happens Hollywood has gotten lazy as ****

17. Panacea

Panacea Registered

I can only hope that they're going to introduce some sort of time ****ery that fixes the timeline, because trying to claim that this is "pre-snap" makes no sense at all. The writers are claiming that having it set 6 years later would bring up too many questions but this brings up far, far more.

Smurphftw likes this.
  18. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

Honestly, I've said this elsewhere, but I would have been happy in a post-snap world that just doesn't address the snap. Basically, the snap happened and everyone is too traumatized to talk about it.

19. SPO2 Dalisay

Something like the War of The World TV series where expect for a few the entire world had mass amnesia concerning the alien invasion 25 years before? Or things were just so busy there was no reason to mention it in the dialog?

Until the sports bar scene background videos were being shown I was wondering if I could head canon the latter but the AoS Indiana just didn't fit with Endgame's New York and San Francisco. In any effect no signs of trauma

20. SPO2 Dalisay

The alien attack on New York would have had to have been something else and not the snatch of the time stone. Then the Confederation's intelligence that earth was on Thanos' list of targets can work.

I can't recall AoS giving actual dates like Endgame did but what was the last direct reference, Yo-Yo registering under the Sokovia Accords in her YouTube series?

21. Smurphftw

Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

The fact that they repeatedly mentioned it was one year later, makes me think that the AOS writers were going on the assumption that people who were snapped in the MCU would be unsnapped before a year was up and that their wouldn't be a 5 year time jump.

The 5 year time jump breaks the timeline completely. It just doesn't make any sense within the current MCU proper continuity.

Zarex and SPO2 Dalisay like this.
  22. Joey9775

Joey9775 Registered

That's EXACTLY what it was. They thought the snap was going to be magically reversed and life would return to normal. And now the show is completely broken.

What's really making me mad is this whole "pre snap" narrative Ming Na and the showrunners are trying to push now. No, just admit it was a screw up. Really just admit that the Jeph Loeb TV stuff is not canon now and hasn't been since Perlmutter got pushed out.

23. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

The latter.

New York and San Francisco are major cities that depend on its population density. Think about Detroit when it lost its population, but imagine if it happened over night. Indiana is far less dense, which makes it far less likely to turn into a ghost town. People had to drive around by car before and they still have to do it (also, I think it's easier to keep up city services in the first year until they realize the revenue isn't coming in to fund it, so the trash collectors are more likely to exist).

But I'd hesitate to overthink it until the season ends because we could see Boston next episode for all I know.

ludovica likes this.
  24. eon001

eon001 Registered

It's just WAY too difficult to explain it. Either the whole cast got snapped, or they spent the 5 years in dealing with the fallout.

You can't have half the cast snapped and the other recovering, then they return, and continue the search for Fitz. Either way it's not an easy task to write your own original story line, and to also consider the movies plot lines.

25. just one thing

just one thing Registered

At the beginning enoch said he had committed to guard fitz for 73 years 200 days, something like that. Does that line up. What year was the future part of season 5 in?

and then the 1 year later is from the point enochs ship got hit.

Only hint at the snap i got was the teacher fellow enjoying his drink, having it in memory of a deceased. but it is most likely completely unconnected.